“Highlight of our 2012 NZ visit”

Split Apple Retreat
Del Mar
“Highlight of our 2012 NZ visit”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Though on very short notice our hosts, Dr. Lee Nelson and his lovely wife Pen made us feel like family at this stunningly beautiful spa/retreat. Japanese themed architecture and lovely gardens overlooking the sea and the Abel Tasman National Reserve set the tone for a truly memorable and intimate stay. Their attention to detail throughout from the rooms to the common areas and all the amenities is evident at every turn. The theme is about promoting health and wellness, which was the basis of Dr. Nelson's practice as a physician and this is reinforced by wonderful, healthful gourmet meals prepared by Pen. Much of the produce is grown onsite. The spa amenities are first class and the location is a great jumping off point for local excursions and there are many. Optional wellness and cooking classes are offered and we couldn't think of a better teaching or classroom experience. Looking forward to seeing Pen's soon to be published cookbook. Definitely two thumbs up and we look forward to returning next year. Bryce and Sue R, Del Mar, Calif.

Room Tip: With three to choose from you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BryceR_13

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Last month was the second occassion , I had stayed at Split Apple Retreat .
The Vista , Venue , Standard of Accomodation , and Wonderful Hospitality ,
made each occassion of my Stay at Split Apple a Penultimate Experience .
The opportunity to Learn Invaluable Lessons on Management of your Nutrition Program ,
merely enhanced the experience , exponentially .
I can truly recommend Split Apple Retreat .
George T.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I spent 7 days at this luxurious resort and may I say that it has changed my life. I needed to get my health in order ,had heard of this retreat and decided that I needed to bite the bullet and get my body functioning the way it was designed to. Prior to going there I had spoken to Dr Lee who runs the restreat with his wife Pen and he asked me to supply a series of blood tests so that he could determine where I am at and what direction I should be going to give me the best shot at living a healthy life and minimising my chance of getting a heart attack or stroke. Well Lee and Pen, I can't thank you enough for what you have both installed into my new daily routine.
where do I start.
This retreat is a no shoes area,clearly a sign the japanese influence. As soon as you enter split apple your shoes are off and you are given a pair of slippers to wear for your comfort. A yukata(japanese robe) is also provided for use in and around the retreat. Ancient japanese sculptures and art adorn the premises as well as the natural light that comes through from what I may call shoji windows.
Polished floor boards assure you of the cleanliness and godliness that contribute to the relaxing comfort, health and beuty of Split Apple.
This retreat is built into a cliff face. Its ammenities are totally 1st Class
The suites(of which there are 3 of) have been fitted out thoughtfully and elegantly from the japanese bath(in black granite to the showers and mixers(Hansgrohe) the light dimmers,the electronically controlled blinds,the TV/audio system (with cable and a huge range of music and movie titles) The king size bed was so comfortable and the goose duvet and cotton covers were of exceptionally good construction. An oil burner infuses the room with the aroma of natural essential oils. The bathroom has a fresh rose which adds futher to the tranquility is so uplifting. Then there is the detox box(an infra red sauna) a fully tiled steam room, a gym massage room, need I go on.
The food was so nutritionally rich,unbelievably tasty(from the prawn and strawberry salad through to the fresh salmon,scallops, black rice and I can't wait till Pens recipe book is released towards the end of April 2012. I have been cooking healthy recipes that pen has kindly forwarded to me(those that were prepared during my stay) and continue to lose weight and gain health and fitness 2 weeks after leaving this retreat. Lee also organised some enduring walks through the Abel Tasman National Park (and a healthy packed lunch in my back pack)which kick started my rejuvinating campaign.
If I may be so bold I have one severe criticism of this place, that being I didn't want to return home. I can't wait to return around september this year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My wife and spent about 4 days at the Split Apple in January 2012.
We have travelled a lot, and visited many New Zealand Lodges.This lodge ranks amongst the best
The location is just breath taking. The Lodge is in a secluded spot, and has sweeping views of the bay.
The accomodation is the epitomy of luxury.There is just no more than any guest could ever want, even to the use of a movie theatre,with an infinite number of current titles,a relaxation room, a spa etc.

But the crown is taken by the charming host and hostess Lee and Pen, and Pen's superb cooking.

There is nothing too much for them to do for their guests.

Lee also offers optional wellness courses, and Pen exqisite cooking classes.

We cannot wait to get back.

Marcus Jacocbs QC and Pam Jacobs
Sydney

Australia

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcus J
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

In November 2011 we had the most fantastic few days ever at the Split Apple Retreat.
The location and views are breathtaking and the accomodation superb.
Lee is an outstanding host and Pen provides the most delicious food. Between them they give a new meaning to rest, relaxation and healthy living.
A wonderful unique experience, pampering and luxury at its very best. Wait till you smell the roses in the garden.
BT. March 2012.

Room Tip: All are perfect
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed July 4, 2011

During our three weeks vacations this cozy 6 ****** Hotel was together with the
Whare kea Lodge simply the best. Charming host is always taking care of you. Dr. Lee is taking care of your health concerns; his wife drives the stay to an unforgettable event.
Great place et to relax and to start excursions

Gorgeous, unfortunately we have not seen something like this in Europe.

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!
Dr. Holger R. and Karin R. from Heidelberg

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hhrhd
Akaroa, New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Without question the most compelling stay we have had anywhere around the world. The absolute pinnacle of refined luxury, personal service, and privacy in a truly contemplative setting, with a pristine natural setting that unfolds before your eyes. Every conceivable luxury service and detail is at your disposal, not the least of which is the extraordinary food which Lee and Pen prepare, not only to tantalize your taste buds, but also with your health in mind. Lee is also a knowledgable doctor, who specializes in wellness. This is a sanctuary of peace, relaxation and serenity. Come prepared to be amazed

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Kaiteriteri
The Waters
The Waters
#2 of 24 in Motueka

Been to Split Apple Retreat? Share your experiences!