“Stayed and ate.”
Review of The Oak Inn

The Oak Inn
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Oak is a friendly, family run Inn at the heart of the Dartmoor village of South Brent. Recently transformed after a complete refurbishment the facilities now include a cozy bar, air conditioned restaurant, covered courtyard area, private function room and 5 luxury en-suite bedrooms. Andrew, proprietor and Head Chef, changes the menu on a daily basis offering a lunch menu (£6 each) from 11am - 4pm (Tuesday to Saturday) along side his main menu (available until 9pm every day except Sundays when we finish at 4pm - he has to have one evening off!). Our blackboards with build a burger and mix'n'match sausages and mash are also very popular
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Couldnt fault anything on the food or drink. Very good selection of beers and wines to accompany an excellent menu .

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We visited for an early dinner on a Saturday, with two small children in tow. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. This is a village pub which appears to attract locals and tourists and it seemed to cater to both successfully.

This is a CAMRA pub and the beer was very good.

I had a homemade burger, assuming this was a good bet as the pub clearly cared about the steak and meat it served - I was right, and my meal was very good. My husband ordered a steak and he was a little disappointed in its lack of flavour. My kids had pasta and the pretty bowl of pasta with whole rocket and baby tomatoes probably had more adult-appeal than small-child appeal, which meant they picked at it.

On the plus side, it was really great to see a pub offering homemade chips; and the side salad was also very good.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Here is a menu where the diner is spoilt for choice. My starter portion of smoked trout on fennel shavings was both extremely tasty and unexpectedly generous. My veggie husband opted for a mushroom risotto which was served in a neat little wrap of filo pastry. Clearly, thought has gone into this menu and the restaurant deserves to become more widely known and appreciated. My daily special main course of liver and bacon was perfectly cooked but defeated me. There are several choices for veggies and my husband opted for a pasta dish with tomato and mint. You would need to be either very greedy or extremely hungry to manage a dessert, tempting though they looked. We finished our meal with decent lattes, contented with both the food, the surroundings of what was once a bowling alley, the friendly service and the very fair price for a very decent meal.

Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Had heard good reports about this pub and living just a few miles away decided to check it out.
Pleased to say that it is good enough for us to visit again and we'd be happy to take family and friends.
The steaks were reasonably well cooked even if slightly uneven (medium rare one end, medium the other) although there was only rump on offer. Tasty and the fat had been trimmed off but at £16 for 8oz it should be! The tomato and onion salad should be avoided by lovers, vampires and anyone visiting the dentist. Far too much raw onion!
Overall a nice friendly pub, decent food and a nice pint.
Just lose the net curtains, light a few candles and let passers by see inside!!
:-)

Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband and I have just eaten lunch here and it really was fabulous. We both had baguettes which were fresh and delicious. They came with salad which was crispy, fresh and interesting! And some crisps. We also ordered a side of onion rings which were about the best I have ever tasted.

All this, with a drink each, came to £15!! I would definitely come again, and would love to sample the main menu which was mouthwatering, am not sure how I would choose!