The Pack Horse
$127
$105
Bridge House(South Brent)(Great Value!)
$67
Ashbourne Woods Campground(South Brent)(Great Value!)
$24
$89
  • Bar/Lounge
The Oak(South Brent)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubfresh strawberriesfull englishstayed for nightsfriendly atmospherespacious rooma lovely staylittle extrasfamily runroaring log firequiet villageate herea tadlovely accommodationexcellent breakfastcooked breakfastsaturday night
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I booked here because the other b & b had closed. My family - who live locally - told me I was mad. I arrived on a cold, wet December evening and my heart sank. It fell further when I found the door of what was clearly a pub locked shut. I knocked. Someone came and I entered what seemed not have changed shine the 1950s. By this time my heart was in my boots.

Then I was taken to my room. Spacious, well furnished, warm, comfortable bed and plenty of hot water. And very nice towels (so often a disappointment). Breakfast was whatever I wanted.

The people were friendly and welcoming. The price was £70 - which is above the going rate - but then this is a commercial business, not a private house. I have no complaints on that score.

However, I would say - as a lawyer of 50 years experience - that their "welcome" manual setting all sorts of restrictions and demands would have no legal effect at all - since they should be brought to a customer's attention BEFORE the contract was made. If you don't see them till you are in your room - then they are a waste of paper and ink. And give a slightly sour impression.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank spaddockuk
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked on line from Australia for between Christmas and the new year and found when we arrived that it might have been an inconvenient time as the "no vacancy" sign was up and we were the only guests. However, the staff could not have been friendlier, the two rooms we booked were spotless and well appointed (even a new can of my favourite hairspray in the room - now that was thoughtful!!), and the breakfast first class. It was wonderful having the pub to ourselves in the morning. A terrific stay and great value.

Room Tip: The room with the four poster bed is enormous and very well appointed. The twin room with great bathroom was terrific too - great for our teenage children. Brilliant breakfast too.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I booked for my parents to stay overnight on Christmas Eve, my credit card details were taken and the room confirmed. I then received a call to say my booking was cancelled unless we stayed for a further 3 nights. Apparently this was due to there being no cleaning staff available on Christmas Day. Very disappointing, we have used this pub for years but will now find someone more reliable and straightforward.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neil N
peter45Devon, Owner at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

The booking was taken by mistake from one of our members of staff, which we are sorry for the misunderstanding. You were informed the next morning with our apologies. Our policy over the Christmas period is for a 3 night stay & has been for quite a number of years. But we did say that we could offer you a 2 night stay instead, which you declined. You have used us in the past and have never been disappointed, yet the one time we are unable to accommodate you, you feel the need to write a very one sided review out of spite.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great relaxing, staff friendly and welcoming. Rooms spotless and beds and quilts the comfiest ever !! Breakfast so good and big did not manage to sample any local seafood !! Overall a good location for a short break..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We decided, as the weather forecast looked really good to go away for one night in South Devon, and found the B&B on the internet the Friday night before. The room that we had was clean, spacious and really comfortable. There were really nice touches such as an array of body washes on the window sill in the bedroom, the chocolate one was gorgeous!!
We had a meal out and then returned to the bar for a couple of drinks, the locals were very friendly and an interesting bunch, and we had a good laugh with them!!
Breakfast the next morning was to die for, strawberries and yoghurt to start, fruit juice and cereals and then a massive 'Full English' if you wanted it, freshly brewed coffee and tea too!!
The village of South Brent was very pretty too, situated on the edge of South Dartmoor, it was perfect for visiting the South Hams as we had done on Saturday before our arrival. The owners - Ken and Linda, were extremely friendly and we would like to thank them for a lovely stay. We would whole heartedly recommend 'The Pack Horse' to anyone!!

Room Tip: We ended up with the Twin En Suite, as all the doubles were booked, however it was a lovely room and I believe that all the rooms are very spacious and would all be extremely clean, as the one we had.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple