“keeps getting better !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hilltop Bar & Restaurant

The Hilltop Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 42 Restaurants in Stanley
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: If you're looking for a restaurant near Durham and Chester le Street, go no further than The Hilltop. With over 35 years' experience in the bar and restaurant business, we realise that quality-assured food and excellent service are key factors in making any pub a success. This is why the Hilltop achieves such a high standard in all areas. We are situated close to the famous open air museum at Beamish and the many local attractions surrounding this beautiful section of County Durham. We are pleased to offer you our carefully selected Pub Fayre, using the finest ingredients and quality products and there are choices to suit all appetites. Take your time to browse our extensive menus on our food page and Chef's Specials Board & Offers, and, if you fancy something different, please ask and we will endeavour to satisfy your request - we aim to please. To accompany your meal we have a fine selection of carefully chosen wines and fresh ground coffee.
durham
“keeps getting better !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

we go to the Hilltop 4/5 times a year and have just gone back after their recent refurb ! but I'll keep saying it , these guys really do know how to cook a steak !!! and the sauces are gorgeous with handmade chips ! the starters are lovely too ! this is a place where you can just walk in sit down and order no hassle its warm and private the refurb is well thought out as the new colour scheme lifts the effect of the old dark wood ...also ! its important to mention the portion sizes in an age where most other bar restaurants are messing around with the portions in an attempt at penny pinching these dishes are still large and you would struggle to manage a starter a main and a sweet all in one sitting ! this is positive stuff this means value for money ! thank you !

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hondamick

County Durham, United Kingdom
“hilltop revisited”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

went for wedding anniversary meal, as our last visit was very good.The pub had been refurbished, looked as if there was new carpeting throughout, and the table and chairs had been renewed. We were not sure if the wallpaper had been changed, but it looked lovely and clean. The only problem would be the toilet doors, some of them have not locked for years, (ladies), and I know this as I am a regular, so come on where is the privacy. By the way the food is lush, I had a chicken sizzler. half rice and chips, and hubby had Cajun chicken, chips, onion rings, tomato, peas, very nice. We will definitely continue to visit again, even if I have to continue peeping round the toilet door

1 Thank katie h
Manchester, United Kingdom
“fantastic food, and excellent knowledge of gluten free cooking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited here as a family get together, chosen mainly for the extensive gluten free choice for the Coeliacs in our family.. this pub did not disappoint, and in fact went above and beyond to make sure that all the Coeliacs were well catered for. The food was hot and very taty, and if we lived nearer.. this would definitely become our local eatery!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank terry b
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Trip up for food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I went to the hilltop a good few years back, then re-visited a couple of days ago.
For a Saturday it was quiet, which was good in a away, I think I just missed the lunchtime rush. Opted for the mixed grill which I had not finished the last time, but I knew it was good!
Had a pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord to wash it down which was pretty nice/
The food arrived and cooked perfect to my order, decent portions and filled me for the price.
will be coming again!
The pub now has wifi, took a little to get on it (powered by the cloud) and I ended up telling (who i assume to be) the manager or owner how to connect to it! bit of tech support thrown in gratis!

Really good pub with a nice atmosphere.. good food, and good beer at a reasonable price.

Durham, United Kingdom
“Great hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Me and my family often go to the Hill Top because my grandad lives nearby. The food is always lovely - on Tuesday I had Chicken Gougons and they were really tasty. My mam said her chilli was "excellent" and dad loved his Steak and Ale pie - he has it nearly every week...
It has been refurbished recently and looks gorgeous, modern and bright.
See you soon Hill Top!