“A lovely relaxing stay”

The Talbot Hotel Malton
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Reviewed December 23, 2012

What a lovely place! From the friendly staff to the beautiful room to the excellent food. We can't wait to return already. Excellent dog friendly policy (Many hotels can be very 'dogist!). The food was of a very high standard (Better than our last Michelin meal at The Devonshire infact). The bar meals were OK (Shame no snacky type option, like sandwiches, cakes etc - although afternoon tea in available, but not until after 3pm). Breakfast was great with lots of options. Very good prices on drinks. Had a nice drive to Filey on the way back today wich is only 30 mins away, for a brisk/windy walk on the beach. Only 1 thing I would say needs addressing and that is tea & coffee facilities in the room, it was available on request, but I suspect like us, most people like to just be able to make a brew themselves so should really be standard. Looking forward to returning in the summer. Many thanks to all the staff.

1  Thank babs1111
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear babs1111

Thank you so much for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the comparrison with the Devonshire is extremely flattering so I thank you for that. If you do require a tea tray in your room we do have the ability to put one in so please do just ask.

Robert

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

A wonderful hotel - all staff very helpful - first class service without all the pomp a hotel of this quality often has. situated in the town we found it very quiet and peaceful. Lovely food, wish we'd had time to use the resturaunt - but the bar meals were good food presented well - no omlette in sight!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear gill p

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us we have worked hard to try and get the level of service to formality correct and it is always nice when someone appreciates that.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Booked on a whim from a Living Social Voucher. Hotel is warm and friendly, staff were all very enthusiastic and helpful and our room really comfy. We took advantage of our complimentary Prossecco before dinner whilst choosing from a well compiled menu and wine list (we had a bottle of wine included in our deal but chose one off the wine list instead - our complimentary bottle was then offered to us to take home as a treat!). The food was delicious and reasonable value. Our only criticism (and should be taken as a small one) was that service over dinner was not quite as attentive as it could have been,being mid-week before the Xmas rush there were only a couple of young waitresses on duty. This had no impact on our stay and would have no impact on whether we would stay again. There was a good selection for breakfast with us both opting for the full English which put us in good stead for the day. What a find from a random voucher - we will return as fully fledged guests.

Dear Mooseville

Thank you for taking the time to review the Talbot. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the slight issue did not make to much impact on your stay.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

After having a family celebration at Wilsons in Hull ( see that review also) I decided to take my husband for a night away, just the two of us, on his actual 50th birthday, and booked the Talbot Hotel in Malton. I was looking for something special and this Hotel certainly made it just that.
The room was very comfortable with an amazingly large bed and a wow bathroom.
The evening dinner was superb, and I felt like I had been experiencing a 'Masterchef' show. The presentation and flavours were second to non. The staff were extremely friendly and very efficient. We will certainly be making a visit in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view if possible.

Dear Jane P

I am very pleased that you chose the Talbot for part of the 50th celebrations. And we always appreciate when someone takes the time to post their kind words.

We look forward to welcoming yopu back soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our third visit to The Talbot and it just keeps on getting better and better. Arrived on a cold, wet, rainy day and were grfeeted warmly and shown to Room 11 - we'd booked an upgrade. Room heating hadn't kicked in so they brought an extra heater and turned up the radiators immediately. Browsed malton shops and then returned to a cup of tea by a roaring fire in the lounge with lots of quality newspapers. Showered in a lovely bathroom with fluffy towels and gowns before coming down to a wonderful James Martin-inspired dinner. After a great night's sleep enjoyed the Whitby kippers, morning papers and departed with a bottle of good wine ! What more could one ask ? Service at all times outstanding and Steve is a great barman - hope to have a pint of Mary Jane bitter there next time !

Room Tip: Select a higher level room with a view of the front of the hotel and the river. Srongly recommend an...

Dear Miloj

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind words. You will be pleased to know I have actually spoken to the brewery and think we may do something with them soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for the second time, absolutely love this hotel the rooms are beautiful and spacious, we stayed in the Watson room, as are the bathrooms. Had champagne in the lounge before dinner which was again exceptional. The service is faultless and everyone is so friendly they cant do enough for you.

I cannot wait for my third stay, i will definiately be back

Dear Mags010

We very much look forward to welcoming you back for that third visit. As a hotelier there is no better compliment than a customer returning so I really do look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Wow.........48 hours ago I was sat in the Talbot Hotle with my friends having a girls Christmas lunch. Being a huge James Martin fan I was keen to visit and see just exactly what his food is all about. I was not disappointed. On arrival my friends had coffees, £2.00 per person for a cafetierre which was delicious. I had a cocktail, the signature special called the whistle jacket and it was very different but very nice.

We only had to wait aprox 20 mins for a table, they dont take bookings in the bar though there is a restaurant for a bit more formal dining. I had potted shrimps for starters, a burger chips and relish for mains and white chocolate, whicky and croissant bread and butter pud to finish. My friends had a mix of salmon, bangers and mash, pot roast chicken and butternut squash risotto. We also had some delicious rose wine. Afterwards more coffee followed and our bill for the 6 of inc drinks was £160. But the best bit by far was the fact we spent nearly the entire afternoon there lounging around on sofas chatting and catching up in very casual wear and no one batted an eye lid. This place has suites to hire for in excess of £600 per night!!!! The staff were so lovely, down to earth and helpful. No aires and graces about them. You can also take dogs in.My only criticism was that I really fancied some onion rings and asked if I could have them as a side order but this was not able to be done, even though my friends had them with their sausages. We are all planning to go back there in March, and if you look on their web site they do offers on rooms. A wonderful afternoon at the Talbot.

Room Tip: I didnt stay over
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear laura s

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your leisurely day with us. I am sorry about the onion rings this should not have been an issue and I have mentioned it to Chef.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Talbot soon.

Robert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
#1 of 3 in Pickering
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!