“Work in Progress”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“Work in Progress”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Great value with the Travelzoo deal!! And a beautiful hotel! The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful, however, the remainder of the staff let the place down. It wasn't as if they weren't friendly enough, they just didn't really know what they were doing. The place seemed to lack organisation and Leadership. I did speak to one of the girls on the bar after dinner and she had said they were a bit thin on the ground as they had initially had a high turnover of staff when they had opened. As for dinner, well, it was decent. It was close to being good but there were flaws. Eccentric seasoning and a lack of advertised ingredients let them down slightly. If you run out of asparagus, surely you would remove the lamb dish from the menu or educate staff to explain this to the diner upon ordering? I know this isn't a huge issue, but it is the difference between excellence and averageness! Puddings, however, were fantastic! On to the bar for after dinner drinks and we were very suprised by the prices. A G 'n' T was cheaper here than my local pub! Nice! The wine list was also very reasonably priced. All in all, great value with the deal we got, however, I would rather pay that bit extra if it meant getting the little things right. I'll put it down to teething...

Good luck to 'The Talbot'!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank osterage72
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear osterage72

Many thanks for posting your comments regarding your stay with us in April. As we had only just opened there many areas we had to imporve on and I can assure you we have done so. We are constantly traing and working hard to develop the team and I am sure you would notice a big improvement now.

Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I have just come back from a night at the Talbot. We enjoyed every aspect of it. Staff were friendly and welcoming in that way you really only get in the North. The food was excellent, we felt like judges on the Great British Menu. Makes me wish I lived in Malton as a 3 course meal at the Talbot only costs 30 pounds per head, which for the level of cooking is incredible value. I've seen some reviews on here complaining of small portions, but although I have a good appetite I found the portion size to be just right, so I finished the meal satisfied and not uncomfortably full.

We had booked via a Travelzoo deal but paid 20 pounds to upgrade to a room with a superking bed, which was very comfy so I'd recommend doing that,.

Malton itself is worth a wander around, it has some interesting little shops.

We liked this hotel so much we're recommending to to friends and family.

Room Tip: The best views are on the valley side of the hotel. It's worth upgrading to a superking bedroom...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GuyH

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind comments on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and paid half price, due to a deal on Travelzoo. Room was gorgeous, staff very pleasant and helpful. Great location. Breakfast was adequate but not the best - very cool in temperature for a cooked breakfast, but there is a decent choice. Many restaurant staff are young and inexperienced, but our waitress Harriet, could not be faulted. Evening meal was very good indeed but didn't quite live up to what I was expecting from James Martin as Exec Chef. However, 3 courses for £29 is very good value. Overall, a lovely stay - bar prices are reasonable and the location is great to visit Castle Howard and Eden Camp and other places in the Wolds. Will definitely come back but probably on an offer and not for £205 a night.

Room Tip: our room was not on the street side - so was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mausie69

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor. I will look in to the temperature of the breakfast with our chef, but I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. If you have given us your e-mail adress we will keep you informed of future deals and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We've just returned from a two night stay at the Talbot and have nothing but good things to say about the hotel, the location, the food and the staff.
We were looking for somewhere nice to celebrate our engagement and the Talbot fitted the bill perfectly. Malton, one of the shining jewels in North Yorkshire's crown, has a richly deserved reputation as a food-lovers destination and the Talbot certainly does not disappoint - the food is quite simply sensational. We ate at the comfortable and welcoming restaurant two nights running (having originally planned only to eat there on the first night) and had a great experience on both evenings.
We upgraded our reservation to the junior (Nantclwyd) suite which has a huge four poster bed, beautiful en suite bathroom, comfortable sofa and lovely views from the original sash windows. Like the food, the accommodation and service was first class.
The staff, from the cleaning team through to the manager were pleasant, polite, friendly and helpful and I would encourage all considering a trip to North Yorkshire to give this place a try. We will definitely be back to stay at the Talbot again. Thanks for making our trip extra special. (Mark & Donna)

Room Tip: The hotel has recently completed a tasteful restoration and is now in wonderful condition. We stayed...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Fatbil

Thanks for your very kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to your return next year!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Beautiful hotel, friendly and efficient staff. The food, both breakfast and dinner were delicious. Elegantly furnished rooms. Our stay was a result of an offer from Travelzoo. Definately money well spent. Will stay again in the future, offer or no offer.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SallyAnn897
Dear SallyAnn897

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This review is based on my recent restaurant experience. What was James Martin thinking of when he employed front of house staff here - what a shambles! From the initial greeting, to trying to get the right bill at the end of the meal (4 attempts), it was just a catalogue of disasters - I could have done the job of managing such a small restaurant myself, it can't be that difficult! I can only be generous and hope that it was first month's teething problems. Shame really because the food was very good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank anniemc13
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear anniemc13

I am very sorry to hear of your experience when dining at the Talbot. Obviously on this occasion the service has not been up to standard and I would very much like to discuss this further with yourself.

If at all possible if you could send me your contact details to rwormall@talbotmalton.co.uk and I will be in touch.

Once again my sincerre appologies.

Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

We had a feature room and is probably the best room we've stayed in anywhere. We dined in the restaurant. Lovely food and a great bottle of wine.
The website promises "landscaped gardens"! The areas to the side of the drive between the upper and lower car parks are neat but don't fit my definition of " landscaped gardens", I'm afraid. We came back from a walk at 4.15, over six hours after we handed the key in and the room still wasn't made up. The tea and coffee on demand is a nice touch but would prefer the option of making our own. The breakfast situation is a joke. Inconsistent food quality, service levels and staff attitudes. Someone needs to get a grip of this..soon.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DVETheK
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear DaveTheKettle

Many thanks for taking the time to post your commnets on Tripadvisor. We are working hard to make the quality of the gardens match that of the hotel but we were held up by an exceptionaly wet April I am sorry if this had an impact on your stay with us.

We will shortly be offering the ability to put tea and coffee trays in to the room should a guest want them and hope to have this in place within the next couple of weeks.

I would also like to let you know that I am working hard on making sure that we get breakfast right and will these issues sorted very soon.

Robert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 5 in Helmsley
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!