“A realistic view of life during WW2, both military and civilian.”

Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.89*
and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Malton
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed within the buildings and grounds of a former Prisoner of War camp, a visit to this unique museum will take you back to wartime Britain. Experience the sights, sounds and even smells of life on both the Home Front and the Front Line.
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

What a great place to visit. I don't know where to start.

I suppose you could call it a museum, it is really a succession of exhibits set out in old military huts. Each hut having its own specialist subject.
You start off with the story leading up to WW2 and continue all the way thought to the end following the trail of numbered huts. I particularly liked the hut devoted to life on a U-boat, it was realistically decorated and even the pot of stew bubbling away in the galley smelled of cooking stew.
There are lots of knowledgeable staff on hand to answer any questions you may have (I had tons) and if you get tired and need a sit down, you can stop in the cafe which is decorated in period style and serves dishes that would have been available during the war.

In summary, a great day out for all weathers as you spend most of your time indoors of walking from hut to hut.

An absolute must see.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is so interesting for all the family, it has authentic smells which can get to the back of your throat, all the huts are different but you need a good half day to get around them all especially in peek times, well worth a look, and very educational.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My partner and I recently visited Eden Camp Museum. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the visit especially as I must confess, I do not usually take much interest in the subject of the war. Whilst we were there, a number of school parties were visiting and the children all seemed to be enjoying the experience. Allow yourself a day to get around all the huts and to view the items on view in the grounds. We were able to take our dogs around with us but on leads. I found some of the information on view particularly upsetting but it was necessary to inform how conditions were during the war. The effects and sounds were realistic especially the hut depicting conditions during the blitz. It is definitely a good day out for all the family. Would definitely visit again in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Reasonable entry price plus 4 and half hours spent there makes it very worthwhile. Not only did our 7 year old learn alot, but so did we. Every hut was packed to the brim with information. My son especially enjoyed the bombed out London street and the mine. The sounds and smells made it feel very real. I was very moved by the concentration camp display and the memorials. A great way to spend an afternoon - educational and fascinating. Cannot recommend it enough.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Old POW Huts each laid out with a war theme. Interesting, informative, well worth a visit. The puppet Music Hall act had me in stitches!