“Must See Museum”

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Malton
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed within the buildings and grounds of a former Prisoner of War camp, a visit to this unique museum will take you back to wartime Britain. Experience the sights, sounds and even smells of life on both the Home Front and the Front Line.
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Love this place - so authentic and moving. Even the canteen serves war time fayre - meat pie & stew & dumplings were excellent. The attention to detail was incredible - it even tells you on a blackboard what was happening 65 years ago in WWII on the day of your visit. Really well thought out lay out - all wheelchair friendly - basics are spot on too - loads of loos, picnic tables & benches. I find it hard to believe that any visitor could comment negatively about this place. It is really cheap to get in (£5 per adult) & I don't know how they manage to keep the place running on such low entry fees. You need at least 4 hours to do a visit justice & lunch is a must in the canteen, tea room or cinema bar. The little puppet show is really quaint & funny - kids loved it - basic formula of sing song & water pistols worked a treat! Small children may find the place a little scary but ours (twins aged 4) coped with hands held & lots of make believe explanations. Our elder child aged 9 was really interested & moved by what she saw. I was particularly moved by the items the Italian POWs had made during their stay at Eden Camp. A little pair of shoes made entirely from rope for the local farmer's daughter were particularly poignant. This place really brings the emotion, horrors and heart warming stories of WWII to life & left me with feelings of gratitude & sadness for those who lived & died through it.

5  Thank TheFamousFive
Write a ReviewReviews (2,141)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"value for money"
in 117 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2008

My husband, two sons (aged 12 and 10) and I visited Eden Camp in February 2008 - and felt that we were frozen in time, the 1940s! It was amazing!
Although I'm only 41, my father (who had me at a late age) fought in the second world war (he passed away 20 years ago), and I felt very moved whilst walking round and viewing what he and my mother had to endure during the war.
My brave father, then aged 17, fought and was seriously wounded in the battle of Dieppe in 1942, and up until visiting Eden Camp I had not seen any literature about this battle, as it was poorly publicised, but Eden Camp did not fail to report on all the battles and remember all the troops who bravely fought for our country.
I must say a big thank you to all the friendly staff, not just for their kindness, but also for keeping the memory of our brave soldiers alive.
Ruth Magrane

3  Thank RuthBlackpool
Reviewed October 14, 2007

My family and I visited the Eden Camp today. We were a party of 2 adults, a 13 yr old girl and an 11 yr old boy. We, the adults thoroughly enjoyed it. However, there are about 30 huts to visit, each with a different war theme...the kids thought it was great up until hut 23 but then they lost interest as there was a lot of factual displays from then on.
The whole place is very authentic and gave food for thought.We also ate in the mess hut and found the prices to be more than reasonable for the food and drink.There were a lot of people visiting, but it never felt crowded.
I was a bit disappointed in the range of items for sale in the gift shop.I thought I would find more items on sale from the war period, but again, the prices in the shop were more than affordable.
I would recommend totally recommend this museum as a must do and see.

2  Thank Steve-and-JoTheUK
Reviewed August 28, 2007

My son had become obsessed with the war so I had been forced to take him here as a treat. I must admit i wasnt looking forward to it not being a war enthusiast myself but i was fairly surprised.

The place is situated in seperate huts and there are about 30 of these. Each is based on a different aspect of the war; eg women in the war, your street at war, fashion in wartime etc.All are filled with appropriate models of people and even the scents and noises of the time.There are warnings on some of the huts that anxious people should not enter some of them and i would agree with that. Some are a little extreme and overwhelming. Some are also a little claustrophobic such as the submarine etc but you can pick and choose which ones you go inside.

One hut was also dedicated to a mess room with appropriate meals from wartime. There are also picnic tables for you to enjoy an ice cream on and some tea rooms. I think there should have been a few more seats for people around the site though as its a fairly long old walk.

There are large planes and tanks to look at and have your photo taken with and there are some bunkers the kids can go in and look round. Again I think there could have been a bit more of this.

Although there was a playground I think the thing that Eden Camp lacked was more hands on stuff for the kids to do. Some of the huts were filled with just info which was pretty hard to keep their interest.

The gift shop was the best Ive ever been to. Everything you can think of was there and said Eden Camp on it. The goods there were very suitable and not too expensive.

Worth a visit if you are out that way.

pownick, Museum Director at Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2008

We do suffer somewhat from the pre-misconception that our museum is soley about guns and tanks and bombs - probably because our main 'theme' is the Second World War period.

However, we have put in considerable time and effort in trying to achieve an even balance between covering the Home Front - what life was like for civilians in Britain between 1939 and 1945 and the Front Line - the military and political events of World War Two. As a result, we are now confident that we cover the civilian story of World War Two in Britain in more detail than any other museum in the world.

With regards the comments about seating around site, there is actually bench seating between virtually each and every exhibition hut! (some 20+ benches) Also, as visitors tour the museum at their own pace, they are welcome to break off their tour at any time and rest on the seating between the huts, the 15 picnic benches dotted around site or within our NAAFI/Officers Mess Tearoom/Garrison Cinema Bar/Mess Huts or even our Wartime Music Hall.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I visited the Eden Camp on a weekday which is probablly not the best time as it was full of various school parties - I would imagine the best times are at the weekends or during the school holidays. This museum is excellent value for money and ideal for educational visits - it has 30 some odd huts all telling a story of the wars with dispays, sounds, and even smellls!

It is very interesting and well done and certainly takes well over a couple of hours to look round (longer if you read every detail).

The one complaint I do have is that the catering is very, very basic. Whilst I understand that it is trying to fit in with the whole experience and is a 'war time menu and effect' it is a bit too basic! As whole I would certainly recommend a trip to the Eden Camp if you are in the Yorkshire area.

We are very popular with school trips, teachers tell us that one hour spent at our museum is worth ten hours teaching the subject of World War Two in the classroom because we bring the subject to life for the childen, so that they become interested and thus enthusiastic to learn more.

Throughtout the year, Saturdays are our quietest day of the week. During term time, we usually have school groups on site every day. However, as a general rule, schools tend to arrive mid-morning (10.30am onwards) and then depart early afternoon (2.00pm.) Therefore the museum is normally quieter in the afternoon.

We do not proffer to offer restaurant style food or service in our catering outlet(s). However, by adhering to a limited menu, we can offer value for money, consistent quality and quick service. As a result, none of our main meals are priced above £5.00 (2008 prices) and our homemade 'Dambusters' Stew and dumplings continues to be our most popular dish, which always sells out before the end of the day. With so much to see within the museum, quick service means visitors have more time to look round.