The Cresswell Arms
$227
Agoda.com
$191
$133
All reviewsthe pubmotel style roomsflamingo landhowardian hillscar parknorth yorkshire moorsscampievening mealsteak and ale piefull english breakfastlovely roompowerful showerdressing tablecooked breakfastcomfortable roomscooked to perfectiontea and coffee making facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2013

first class from start to finish, the owner could not do enough for us, the rooms were first class with towels shampoo great showers tv and tea making,off road parking, first class breakfast should have had evening meal but went to Malton Spice instead big mistake would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sidney62
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband & I stayed 3 nights 13th to 15th August in Room 6 which we found to be perfect for our needs. The Cresswell Arms individual rooms arranged around a courtyard with easy access and parking makes life easier for me being slightly disabled. Our room was immaculately clean with a good ensuite shower. We had dinner on 2 nights and found the food to be excellent, plentiful and beautifully presented plus the breakfasts were great too! If service is a little slow I would put that down to it being cooked to order. it must be very difficult getting everything right for everyone and these are not complaints but observations..our bed was not the most comfortable being pretty hard,there was no socket or stool near to the dressing table so drying hair some distance from a mirror wasn't easy. Would we stay there again...absolutely, owner & staff were lovely,facilities & food great.

Room Tip: Room 6 has spacious shower and parking at the door, Room 10 has a wet room & excellent if you are disabled
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxipooh
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our second visit, we had the family room which is very spacious, clean and well stocked. Great breakfast both mornings. The car park has ample parking spaces. Only criticism is the double bed in the family room, it's sprung but not comfortable, every time you move or turn over it was noisy, I would recommend buying a new matrass for customer comfort. We were out last night, till 10pm, when we returned the whole pub was closed so we couldn't get any refreshments, thought this was strange for a Saturday night. Having said all this it is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Test the bed first! Make sure it's comfortable for you
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tracey1510
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was travelling through Yorkshire on a particularly busy weekend, some sort of racing carnival and could not get accommodation in York at all. Settled on this hotel, even though it was some way out and I had to catch a taxi. I had to meet friends the next day and needed somewhere taht was not to far from Scampston Walled Garden. The owners/managers were very friendly and hospitable, the food in the restaurant was excellent and I really enjoyed staying here. I had read about the decor which included comments about Marilyn Monroe wallpaper and was a bit apprehensive. I actually had a room with this styling and while I would not choose it for myself it was not in the least odd or in bad taste, just neatly done and with a fun quirky edge. I had my first encounter with "Yorkshire" tea and even though never use tea bags, it was surprisingly good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank schlapper
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here one night for a work trip this week (Jul 2013). Staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient. Rooms were nicely decorated, spacious, clean and comfortable with nice little touches. Also quiet too which is important. Ate dinner here and the food was homemade, plentiful and delicious. Just good, home cooking. We had to leave very early the next morning and the owner/mananger offered (unprompted) to prepare a little breakfast take-away for us. I would really recommend this pub for food and rooms. Plus it's really close to Castle Howard and some beautiful countryside, so would be a very good base for a holiday. We need more pubs like this in the UK!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business