“Laid back and bohemian”

Ranked #26 of 88 Restaurants in Congleton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We opened in April 2012 in the former Dean's Toy Store(where seemingly everyone in Congleton got their first bike). Apparently Mr Dean had seen a drawing of Bonnie Prince Charlie hiding in our cellar, so we gave our bar this otherwise irrelevant name. Part of our building is seriously old - check out the beams in the front part of the building - apparently our 'no. 30' was the oldest building on the street, once called Lawton Farmhouse. We have 10 keg fonts of European/craft beers, and 5 continually rotating cask ales on the bar, as well as real cider, Frizzante 1754 Prosecco on tap, and fridges rammed with bottled beers from all over the world. We serve the best coffee in town and our 5 star awarded kitchens provide quality food all day - from sandwiches and snacks, through to meat and cheese platters, to hearty, locally-made award winning (Great North Pie Co) pie meals. We like hosting all manner of events - live music, Congleton SciBar, language groups, film nights, etc.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Really like the Young pretender. It is sort of bohemian, even a bit rough and ready, but the choice of beers is fantastic and they are all well kept. The food range is varied but I cannot get beyond the pies with minted peas,mash and gravy, all very northern, but really good.

BNJR, Owner at The Young Pretender, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Glad you like us! Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Come back soon and try our new season's pie range which started today!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went to this relatively new bar with my wife for a rare night out.There was a wide selection of drinks available ( though not cheap) but it made a nice change to have such an unusual selection to choose from. When I approached the bar, one barman was chatting constantly to a couple he had just served. Behind him was an older chap I assumed to be the owner/manager rafting around checking cupboards for stationary etc ignoring customers.Working in retail myself, I was seriously un-impressed as I generally find serving customers and acknowledging them to be more important than either your mates or a till roll is probably the way forward! But what really spoilt my evening was the sheer discomfort of the wooden seating.After 2 hours both my and my wife's back and tail end hurt so we left! Having paid £9 for two drinks, I would expect to be able to sit in a chair that would'nt require a course of traction as result.Sorry guys-nice selection of drinks but your service ( and seats ) need improving!

BNJR, Owner at The Young Pretender, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to feed back and for bringing this to our attention. The service issue was unlucky, all the staff are very friendly and there must have been something wrong behind the scenes to stop Tim in his tracks and prevent him from serving you. It will be addressed though. We hope you will give us another chance - and grab a cushion from the window seats next time!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I've been here a few times for drinks with friends. We tried the meat platter one afternoon & it was excellent. This is also the place for fantastic wasabi nuts. Great place.

BNJR, Owner at The Young Pretender, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having been here lots of times for various reasons and with different people I felt compelled to write a review describing the experience that myself and friends always comment on. Firstly it's a great addition to Congleton, quirky, casual, patrons who appear to have had no where else to call a regular before, great artwork, fab beers! Usually freezing cold take a jumper, I keep my fingerless mittens on, bad lighting ( my husband is a lighting technician and finds it horrendous!) No mirror in the ladies loo, what is that about! All girls like to check they haven't got lippy on their teeth and not at the outside mirror on view of the bar! Hard chairs, could do with a few cushions. Went to a great music night and saw a great young lad playing a guitar and singing, what a star, will go back just for him! Overall a coolish experience, and nice pies! Nice staff the young ones, friendly!

BNJR, Owner at The Young Pretender, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the vibe, the artwork, the beers and the music.

Sorry you've found it cold recently, it is a bit of a barn to heat. Just let the staff know though and they can turn the heating up - sometimes the rads get turned down during a busy night and they might have forgotten to turn them back up when it is quieter.

Re the mirrors, it's a comment we'll admit we have heard before. But even when we have close to 200 people in, have you ever had to wait for the loo? I'd guess the answer is no, because nobody is hanging around doing their makeup or worse. We love you just the way you are. Re the lighting, we like it that way, it might not be for everyone but dim is where it's at. (We can't see the lippy on your teeth that way :))

Seriously, do keep coming back and supporting us, we are grateful for your business - and the feedback. Occasionally we will make changes as a result.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This place is expensive with limited atmosphere in the evening but has a brilliant, unusual selection of beers and does some great activities through the week like book clubs etc.
There are board games scattered throughout the place and it's a fun night out if there are a few of you.

BNJR, Owner at The Young Pretender, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Thanks for the review. We are glad you like the beer choices and the events, we hope that next time you visit it will be a packed out evening with lots of atmosphere (it does happen!). Sorry that you found it expensive - generally our local real ales are competitively priced, starting at £2.70 at the time of writing, and glasses of wine also starting at £2.70. The imported bottled beers are admittedly pricey but we believe less so than at comparative bars in Manchester, and in all honesty some of them are so strong you wouldn't want us selling them too cheaply! Kindest regards, we hope to see you again.