“Brilliant experience - ignore the moaners”

The Rising Sun Country Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 88 Restaurants in Congleton
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Rising Sun is situated in the beautiful Cheshire Countryside only a short distance (200 yards) from the Macclesfield Canal at bridge No 87 and the Gritstone Trail. We offer Homecooked Food plus 6 Real Ales and a warm welcome, we can be found in the Good Beer Guide.Multi Award Winning Pub.
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Today my boyfriend and I stopped here on our way home from the Lake District. The interior and exterior were classically decorated, homely and welcoming just as a pub should be. My turkey roast dinner was very good value for money and was honestly one of the most delicious roasts I've ever had. My boyfriends 12 ounce gammon was perfectly cooked and he said "if it was socially acceptable to lick the plate clean" he would have done. Service was well above average, the staff were lively and extremely friendly. The waiting time for food was perfect, we weren't waiting forever but equally it didn't come suspiciously quickly (as if bunged in a microwave). For two dinners, tea for two and two desserts the bill was very resonable and we'll both recommend and revisit when we next travel this way. Many thanks.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went as a party of 6 to celebrate mum's birthday. I had not been before even though we all live quite locally. What a find! Myself and partner are quite fussy about where we eat, and as a rule would sooner pay more for better quality food and eat out less often. We were pleasantly surprised food was excellent quality and affordable. We will be returning sometime soon!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Every year for my partner’s birthday his Dad and step Mum treat us to a meal; this year we visited The Rising Sun. They know all the best places to go and we were definitely impressed by our evening. The restaurant was VERY busy and I can see why.

The staff are second to none, they are friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about both the food menu and the wine/beer list. The landlord is welcoming and his enthusiasm for his business is clear to see.

We visited on a Tuesday and took advantage of the fantastic steak offer. All 4 steaks were cooked to perfection, were ‘melt in the mouth’, had no gristle or fat and were absolutely scrumptious. We all had a different sauce/topping and they were equally delicious.

The steaks are served with home-made onion rings, chips, a large Portobello mushroom and on the vine cherry tomatoes. I read a previous review which said the portion sizes are small; I have no idea where this reviewer normally eats but we all felt the meals were just as generous as they were tasty.
Another review commented on the waiting time for food – everything is freshly cooked so you may wait slightly longer than you would for a reheated meal at other establishments but I feel the wait for quality food is worth it and in my opinion is nowhere near excessive.

We had 2 deserts between the 4 of us – sticky toffee pudding and chocolate and peanut butter brownie served with a choice of ice cream. I have one word for the deserts – perfection.

Myself and my partner have agreed to visit again; if you check The Rising Sun’s website you will see that they have some fantastic offers and we will be taking advantage of these again soon.

Thank you to all the staff for a fantastic experience; see you soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was the first time we had visited the rising sun following a recommendation and we were not disappointed! We booked a table for 2 earlier that day and although we arrived 15 mins earlier than our reservation we were seated straight away and drinks ordered taken. The service all evening was very quick and polite. The food was lovely! I had creamy garlic mushrooms served in a teacup and the other half had quails scotch eggs which were a real treat and presented beautifully. For mains we both had sirloin steak which was cooked as asked to our liking and came with lovely home made chips, onion rings, tomatoes and a really nice beet root salad. The steak was beautiful and the whole evening was really nice. The whole atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed. We passed a guy playing his guitar in the bar when we left and would loved to have stayed longer if we didn't have to rush back for the babysitter.
Would highly recommend this lovely country pub, great food, great service and great atmosphere!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stumbled across this on the Internet when looking for a real ale pub that did good food for my partners birthday.
We were not dissapointed and will definately be returning, food was outstanding, freshly cooked lots of choice and options if you are trying to diet as well which always a good thing.
Desserts are all homemade and sounded amazing didnt get to try the one I wanted as they had ran out due to its popularity, but will definately be back to sample more.
Staff were friendly, helpful and very attentive cant wait to return :-)