“excellent food and atmosphere, OK-ish rooms & loocation”
Review of The Plough Inn

and 1 more site!
The Plough Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Congleton B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“excellent food and atmosphere, OK-ish rooms & loocation”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed there this June on a business trip. At the first glance I found the Plough very charming, a typical English country pub. I would not descripe it as the perfect hotel as the focus is clearly on the restaurant and pub business but it's perfectly OK for a short stay.
The location is a bit far off and only recommandable for travellers with their own transportation. Because it is so far off you can go for nice walks though. The highlight was the food and the garden of the hotel where I spent an afternoon working away with my laptop as there is free wifi on the terrace (unfortunately there was no mobile phone reception in the garden but only in the rooms). Staff was very nice and chatty. They only accept certain credit cards so that I was unable to use the company card.
The rooms are clean enough and cosy but the decor is a bit on the tacky side. If I had to go to congleton again I would book a room there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kate76404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were down for breakfast just before ten, although at first we were grateful that the staff sorted breakfast for us it then became clear that we were pushing our luck! Breakfast finished at ten, so as far as we were concerned shouldn't have been an issue although the chef came out and announced that we had grabbed his 'b@/ls' as he had to re open the kitchen. Disgusting behaviour!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank LinseyBolt
manchester
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have just got back having stayed here over night, as we attended a wedding at a differant venue. Cannot fault the place very good value for money. room was clean loads of hot water. The layout of the rooms are a bit like an american type drive in. Would ceratinly go back. There was a pkt of condoms in the bed side cabinet which I dont if they were ment to be there, We didnt need them, but a nice touch for someone who might. I would certainly tay there again if we are ever over that way.

Room Tip: Second floor room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Wow exactly what we wanted!!!!!

Hi got married there yesterday and it was perfect everyone helped out so much to make it an amazing day. The room looked fab and was so amazing, staff were so helpfull and did whatever we needed.

Food was unbelievable. We had 35 day time quests and all food came out at the same time and was brill lots off food and plenty of extra Veg. Had a friend there who sadly isn't very well and the staff were brill even brought him out some lovely fruit for desert. Had a fussy eater who didn't want our choice of desert and they just came out with another one for him

Rooms were great room 1 was brill I could do a full star fish on the bed and still not touch my wife lol it was enormous.

So recommend the place, staff and food!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 1 has an enormous bed :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed October 29, 2012

On considering previous reviews I probably would not have stayed here, but I was on business and had no choice.
My first impression was that my room was pleasant but tired. However, on closer inspection it turned out a lot more disappointing.
1) The curtains in my room were filthy with brown stains and would not shut, see picture attached.
2) TV does not work, no sound and cannot change channel. This was mentioned to girl on reception and she said "oh, you must be in one of the old rooms, it will be renovated soon". Not really helpful to me at that time.
3) When I used the hot water tap, it seemed to vibrate though the walls, it sounded like a ship coming into harbour.
4) The traffic noise was annoying during the night and in the morning, however if you have room near the back of the car park it would be a lot quieter.
5) Cleanliness. On the whole the room felt clean. However, I did find 2 hairs in the bath and 2 hairs on the wall. Also, curtains and lamp were filthy, see pictures attached.
6) There was not much choice for breakfast, full english or warm yoghurt.
So in all, I definately did not enjoy my stay and would not reccomended it.
On the plus side staff were friendly and pub had a good selection, but that's not enough to induce me to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GoodwinsSuffolk
UK
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have eaten at this venue a few times in the past and have never had bad food. This time was no different. The food was all cooked well and the potion sizes good. This time we stayed at the property for 1 night as well. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. If you do want wifi they do have it however our devices would only connect in the car park but were were not bothered.

Part of the venue is a Barn and there was a wedding taking place on the night we were there. It had a good atmosphere even when there was not a wedding party there

We enjoyed the night we stayed and would visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Attended a wedding here yesterday with an overnight stay. Nothing but good to say. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food very good, especially the full English this morning. Bed spacious and comfortable. Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congleton
The Alexandra Court Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield
Travelodge Macclesfield Central

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!