“Fantastic stay!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dalkeith
Bergen, Norway
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We really felt relaxed and comfortable in our stay at Melville castle. The room was nice and clean, and beds very comfortable.

The staff was very, very friendly, and the atmosphere in the bar area was fantastic. We couldn`t be more pleased and it was a pity that we only could stay for one night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
Glasgow
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My partner and I have recently returned from a 1 night overnight stay with dinner at this hotel. We arrived on Wednesday 9th July and left on Thursday 10th July 2014. The reason I am writing this review is convey out disappointment with our stay and to recommend anyone to avoid it. I had received a voucher for your hotel which entitled my partner and I to a 2 course meal each,overnight stay and breakfast as part of my 21st Birthday celebrations in April of this year. As both my partner and I have busy work schedules we decided that we would wait until July before we exchanged our voucher. We were both really excited about visiting such a prestigious venue.
At dinner that night,the two courses I chose were a starter and dessert while my partner chose a main course and dessert. My starter arrived and I was very surprised to notice that my partners main course did not arrive at the same time, this resulted in me eating alone and my partner feeling a bit embarrassed. I felt very awkward. When my starter was cleared away, my partners main course arrived. He was now eating alone and feeling very awkward and embarrassed. Both our desserts arrived at the same time. At 3 o,clock the following morning we were awoken by the fire alarm siren. We made our way from the 2nd floor to the nearest fire exit and went down a fire escape stairway on the outside of the building. We had no idea where we were in relation to the front of the building. There were also no staff at the bottom of the stairway to direct us to the appropriate fire designation point. This turned out to be a false alarm although we received no
explanation or apology. On returning to our room we were quite shocked and shaken and it took us a while to relax and fall asleep again. On arrival at the hotel we were not given times of breakfast or indeed time for checkout. As we were disturbed during the night we slept on after the tome for breakfast. We checked out (very tired) as check out time was 10.30 am and we informed staff that we had not had any breakfast. We were allowed into the breakfasting room to have breakfast but we felt as though we were getting watched over by waiting staff. Our whole experience had been a very negative one. I personally felt that because we had a discount voucher we were treated as second class citizens. I have recently noticed that the hotel is being advertised on another discount voucher website, and from what I can see all negative review are from people who have had a discounted voucher .What should have been a beautiful, relaxing break has turned out to be very disappointing,

When I informed the manager of my stay, the email returned was very patronising and we were partially to blame for the above.

Never again will I stay at this hotel !!!!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Colvin27
Manager M, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Castle, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Dear Colvin,
Many thanks for sending us your review, which we gratefully accept and offer our full apologies for the events of the time you & your partner stayed with us.
Many positive changes have taken place since you stayed & we are sure that a return to such a lovely setting & this stunning Castle would clearly illustrate this to you.

My appointment as Guest Relations manager, and our intention to respond to all past reviews is testament to that.

Please be assured that we welcome all guests with equal 'top' importance. Regardless of how and through which offer site, or website you booked. Every guest is special to us.

As for the meal, it is evident that it was not properly explained to the Chef that you wanted the starter course & mains to be served at the same time, our apologies for that. A system has been introduced to clearly indicate to the kitchen the timing of the meal service.

The fire alarm situation which knocked on into breakfast, I can only fully apologise for. We have ensured since then that we have an even more well drilled fire routine & communication procedure in place to ensure that this doesn't happen - safety of our guests & staff is our utmost priority.

In closing I assure you that many changes have taken place since you both stayed with us.
We would welcome your return to see & feel the warmth & sincerity of the service we give in these stunning & beautiful surroundings.

Best wishes to you both.
Sincere regards,
Guest Relations Manager
Tayport
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This was an overnight stay as a birthday treat. The hotel and surroundings are marvellous. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. We had dinner and buffet breakfast which was delicious and the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Will definately be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isabella S
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over night on d,b&b on itson voucher, check in was fine and so was the room clean and comfortable. John the barman was very friendly and service her was good. Dinner is served in the basement a bit dark and dingy but believe there a plans to move the dinning room upstairs, food was good but service could be better there didn't seem to be any leadership although there seemed to be a restaurant manger, felt the same at breakfast this was a buffet with only scramble eggs as the only egg dish offered would have been nice to get a option. Grounds could do with so plants as it's a bit bare. They are clearly trying but a bit more work need

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank christine s
Christine, many thanks for your review, and our apologies for the delay in responding. This in part due the major changes which have taken part at the Castle, which we believe now address fully all the points you raised. The changes can be seen from the many recent reviews posted.

The ' Brasserie at the Melville' located downstairs is I think a taste perspective, with many people writing excellent reviews about the cosy & intimate feeling of dining in the converted wine-cellars. Fully understand not everyone's cup-of-tea, and to that end plans have now been approved to have another restaurant located in the grand ballroom, with lovely views over the lawns & fountain.
The grounds have also been improved & now site a collection of life-size wooden carving done by the internationally renowned 'Javier Diaz Pintor'.

Thank you again for the review and we would enjoy seeing you again in the not too distant future!
Warmest regards,
Guest Relations Manager
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We all had a lovely time the meal was extremely nice even although the portion sizes are very small especially for the men.

They could maybe up date their drinks list as there were no cocktails or shots available which was disappointing.

Saying this it wouldn't stop us revisiting and hopefully we will do soon.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2014

lovely stay ...lovely afternoon tea served by Gabriella .....and a great check in from David (i think thats the gents name ..young & fab at his job )
food amazing at night ...overall great time had by the 2 couples .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Lovely room, friendly helpful staff. Good food in the cellar restaurant though portion size a bit on the small size. Weren't really any 'walks' around the castle (I didn't venture into the woods). Didn't see the ghost!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 400Gardener
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Dalhousie Castle
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#11 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Melville Castle? Share your experiences!