“Great room and food, will be back!”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Dalkeith B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is a gem of an Inn, great value for money, everything was great, they could not do anything to improve this place, It did not say breakfast was included and was suprised that it was at such a price, great breakfast also had evening meal again excellent, will be booking again next time I am in the area, cannot wait!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband went here for my birthday and were over the moon with our room it had a huge 4 poster bed with an old fashioned tin bath at the bottom if the bed it was amazing. We booked into the inn resturant on the night and it's the best food I've ever tasted every corse was outstanding and the breakfast was just as good there was so much cereal yoghurt forest fruit nd cereal to choose from and the breakfast menu had great choice there was salmon mackerel and a huge full English with much more to choose from! We will definetly be goin again AMAZING can't fault a single thing the staff were all do helpful really fab place.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I along with our three year old daughter stayed here for two nights this weekend, the hotel itself is on a fairly busy road, our room (4) was situated on the roadside and although you could hear the passing traffic it certainly didn't keep us awake. The room itself was a nice size, clean and tastefully decorated, as we had our 3 year old in tow the hotel kindly put up a camp bed for her as I don't think they have a family room, however our bed was so big she ended up in that with us! The complimentary tea and coffee was a nice touch, we were just lacking the homemade shortbread as stated in the welcome pack, SKY TV was an added bonus to keep our daughter entertained of an evening( and the husband) On arrival the room was a little on the cold side and also felt a little damp but overall really impressed.
We ate at the hotel on the second night and we were not disappointed, the food and service was excellent and reasonably priced I would recommend eating here to anyone.
Breakfast was really good too, plenty of choice and again staff were lovely.
We did venture into Dalkeith town when we arrived to get some lunch as the pub was really busy, but unfortunately the town is a little run down and there aren't too many places to get a nice lunch (although it totally depends what you are after) we ended up in Weatherspoons and it was fine.
Overall our experience at The Sun Inn was a really good, my only advice is its more of a couples weekend break and not for children, not because they don't cater for them but because it would be more relaxing without them!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here on a recent visit to Dalkeith, Edinburgh. For the price I paid I was extremely happy with my room and the hospitality I received. The room was very comfortable and warm. The bed itself was huge! with a wide screen tv which had all the sky channels. In the evening I had fish and chips downstairs in the lovely country pub. The food was very tasty and at a reasonable price. The breakfast the following morning was very nice - traditional breakfast which also included fresh orange juice and yogurts. The only small negative point for me was that the internet connection kept dropping out. This wasn't a major problem for me....Thanks for the great stay will happily stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hanburyave
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My mother, aunt and uncle visited the restaurant at 2.15pm last Friday for lunch. On arrival they were told lunch was no longer being served and would have to wait 15 minutes if they wanted high tea. After explaining it was just a lunch they were after it was again explained lunches were no longer being served. My aunt and uncle have been in the catering industry all their adult life, owning their own restaurant for nearly 40 years. They would NEVER have turned anyone away wanting lunch over a 15 minute period especially when the kitchens were open and staff on duty. I had recommended The Sun Inn as I live nearby and am a frequent patron. I was somewhat stunned that this had been the staff response and will think twice before booking here in future. Very very disappointed Sun Inn.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We arrived just after 11am on Saturday as we had a wedding to attend at the nearby Dalhousie castle. To our surprise the room was ready so we could get changed and prepared.
The room was a good size and had all the facilities you expect. Nice standard of finish and good attention to detail.
We had a small pasta dish off the main menu before we set off. Fantastic tastes and a good portions .The local taxi firm work with Dalhouse and the sun inn and charge just £5.
Breakfast in the morning was nice and, again all the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and make you feel really welcome.
We had a chat to a member of staff behind the bar on Saturday evening and he was saying how much he liked working there and what a great place it is. Clearly the owners have got the magic formula just right. Happy Customers, Happy staff and a successful and thriving business. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SteviePManchester
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed one night in September 2013
Meal in restaurant was in isolation very good indeed. Only complaint of any note being that the Cullen Skink was served far too hot! - after five minutes it was edible and still very, very tasty.

Portion sizes were large!
Service was cheerful and prompt.

The beer was priced very competitively and hugely enjoyable...

The room was large, well decorated and had a larger TV than the set I have in my living room at home. Only slight negative was that the room was roadside and some traffic noise was evident from early morning onwards.

Will definitely stay here again - ideally located for sightseeing in Edinburgh but offers better accommodation for the money than in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the road