“WONDERFUL BREAK”
Review of The Boat Hotel

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here over the weekend 27 - 30 August. and had a wonderful weekend. The Hotel is excellent, our room was lovely (Estate Room). Very comfortable, with wonderful views. The staff were amazing, so professional and helpful. I'm sure an alarm went off when you reached the bottom step as a member of staff always seemed to appear to see if they could help you. Food was excellent and you had your choice to eat in the dining room if you wanted a quiet meal or in the Bar and soak up the atmosphere. We know this area well having stayed many times nearby but feel this hotel is a great find and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,342)

Reviewed August 26, 2010

My family and I booked two rooms for several days. When we arrived, we learned we were in the "garden wing", which is a modern structure attached to the back of the hotel. The rooms there were ultra modern, and heavily perfumed, as was the tired hallway leading down to them. I was very disappointed and wished the hotel had let me know that that was where they had put us. I loved the dining room(s) however; the food was high quality and the staff very professional.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
JONEDI, Guest Relations Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Thanks for posting your review following your recent stay at The Boat Hotel.

I am sorry that you were disapointed with your stay and bedroom. I note from looking at your details and booking confirmation that you had booked via Booking.com and as my colleagues explained to you, that you had selected online to book a Deluxe King Garden guest room and not an Estate guest room. Naturally we would have done all we could to move you to another room catagory however the evening you you stayed the hotel was fully booked.

I genuinely hope you have not been deterred from visiting again and why not check out our own wbesite and book direct where we assure you of the best rates available at time of booking.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

I've been to the Boat Hotel a few times with my husband, but this time I came on my own for some mountain biking. The hotel is in a great location surrounded by amazing scenery with cycle trails right on the doorstep. I was able to cycle to/from Aviemore railway station easily and could keep my bike in the hotel's shed overnight- so no need for a car.

From the moment I arrived at the hotel, I felt very looked after by the friendly attentive staff - even when I arrived back on day 2 covered in mud!

My room was very spacious and beatifully furnished, with a really comfortable bed and the softest pillows I have ever experienced. I just booked a standard room, so the bathroom wasn't as luxurious as the more expensive rooms (over-bath shower with curtain rather than roll-top bath with separate monsoon shower). But still nice and spotlessly clean - and for the price I paid, I'm certainly not complaining. I love the olde worlde feel of the corridoors with creaky floorboards. And even when the bar was full and lively, the rest of the hotel was very peaceful - no problems sleeping.

I had dinner in the Bistro/bar and thought the food was just fabulous. There's a lovely atmosphere in the bar with nice comfy furniture to relax on, and it's easy to mix in with everyone there. Breakfasts here are amazing - there is such a variety of food on offer.

I've booked to come back with my friends already!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thanking for posting such a comprehensive review and for choosing The Boat Hotel yet again!

I was very pleased to read your comments regarding the staff that you encountered during your stay. It is always appreciated when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge good staff. I am also grateful for your comments regarding our food offering and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Selected this hotel for a one night stop over while touring Scotland. It was our last night and was our worst hotel. The room we were given was light years away from the images on their website. We viewed another room after expressing our disappointment but that was no better. Cobwebs, peeling wallpaper, dud light bulb, one bedside light for a double bed and a general air of down market. The decor and carpets in the upstairs corridors were tatty.

Our opinions were softened by a very good evening meal but the next morning brought more disappointment. We were on holiday and taking a leisurely time to get down to breakfast. We arrived in the restaurant 5 minutes before the cut off time of 9.30am where two members of staff took an inordinate amount of time to seat us and take our order. We were then told that the chef had packed breakfast away. We eventually got some scrambled egg and salmon but it all could have been done so much better.

The hotel did make a grudging adjustment to the bill and have since written to offer a free night at the hotel which we won't be accepting.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 98gunner
Reviewed August 6, 2010

A great base for a wonderful few days. Very comfortable hotel, friendly and attentive (yet discreet) staff and great food. We splashed out on a junior suite (room 306) which was comfortable and spacious ,lovely and quiet, had great views and gave plenty space for 3 of us to relax. Would recommend the cycle hire from opposite the hotel, and there is also the Speyside railway to link to Aviemore. Plenty of walking and cycling routes and trails from Boat of Garten so a very good base for exploring the whole area whether with or without a car. Our teenage son appreciated the free wifi in the hotel lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for a lovely review. We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspect of your stay and that your teenage son had a great time too.

I do hope you come back again soon,

Thanks again

Reviewed August 2, 2010

What can I say, this hotel has a fantastic atmosphere that just makes you relax the minute you walk through the front door. The food is amazing, the staff are friendly, and the rooms are tremendously comfortable.

The location of the hotel is great. Just a short distance from the hustle & bustle of Aviemore, and perfectly situated for forest walks, skiing, mountain biking, golf, sailing, or just enjoying a glass of perfectly chilled Sauvignon Blanc.

Have visited several times, and will definately be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

If you like good food dont be fooled by their claim to two AA rosettes and 3 stars...the food served up for dinner was the worst we have experienced. Also no ambience in the restaurants, no table clothes on our tables and no seperate lounge to relax in after your meal...the bar area was overcrowded and no staff available to help people find seats or remove empty glasses from the tables . The Hotel has changed hands since we last visited and we suspect the new owners are exploiting the old AA status on the internet to attract people but are only interested in getting people through the door. Our room and breakfast were ok but we will never return...dont be fooled by their internet site claims.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge
Newton Muthu Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
#3 of 9 in Nairn

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!