“Comfortable stay in very friendly hotel”
Review of The Boat Hotel

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay in very friendly hotel”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We really enjoyed our two night bed and breakfast stay at The Boat Hotel. The first thing to notice was the wonderful log burning fire in the entrance hall with a couple of armchairs in front of it- truly a warm welcome! The staff are super-friendly and helpful. Our breakfasts were fantastic and we were spoilt for choice! Our room was comfortable and cosy and there was always plenty of hot water.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friends for two nights following purchase of a living social voucher. Excellent value for money, room was clean, staff were amazing even when we harassed the girls on reception to look up the ski conditions for 3 of the scottish ski resorts...both mornings! We didn't have dinner in the bistro but the breakfast was brilliant, good ramge of cooked items available as well as a good spread of fruit, cereals, breads, etc. Would definately recommend to a friend. Only negative was the view from our window but the hotel is very honest that the 'classic' rooms are entry level accommodation so it wasn't a surprise.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vickerage29
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

what a lovely hotel , great staff, great room with free standing massive bath! food was amazing!really cosy with the log fires in the bar,so much to do in the cairngorms,with aviemore and skiing on the mountain

Room Tip: we had an estate room, with a travel zoo voucher was a real bargain
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We booked two of the Classic rooms for three nights - one double and one single. This was our first stay at the Boat and found it to be a good base. Having read some of the reviews we were a little apprehensive . Rooms were basic but comfortable - a new mattress might be a good investment. Wifi worked in the reception area only. Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day. We had one evening meal and enjoyed it with a good bottle of red wine. The staff were something else. They were hard working and very friendly and nothing was too much for them and they more than made up for any deficiencies. We will certainly find our way back there.l

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nico386
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Felt like a complete scam. The room was very small and extremely dated, the fixtures and fittings were what appeared to be the cheapest available, there was a burn mark on the floor from an iron, one of the pillow-cases had come off the pillow to reveal an extremely old and heavily stained pillow. The window was a single glazed sash-style which moved a lot with the wind. The radiators in the room didn't give any heat whatsoever. In the morning I was unable to have a shower or use the bath bombs provided as there was no hot water (according to trip adviser this is a pretty common occurance), I had to ask at the front desk and was told the boiler had been reset and it would be ok in 20 mins, this was not the case, when I asked a second time I was told that a boiler engineer had been called and that when he arrived around 30 mins later I would know if the hot water be be functional again that day or if it would be the day after. The main reason I was keen on staying however was for the 2AA rosette winning restaurant, this unfortunately was not present. I had 2 courses before deciding I had better vacate the restaurant so I didn't have to face a third, the first course was chicken liver parfait with fig chutney, it was a bought in pate, not a chicken liver parfait, and in addition the fig chutney was not present. The second course was chicken and red wine jus, a red wine jus is a reduction of red wine, it should be slightly sweet and very rich, what I was given was neither - it appeared to be some sort of packet mix gravy, similar to bisto in flavour and consistency, the chicken was very overcooked and the vegetables were very undercooked. When ordering the starter I also ordered some drinks, when the starter arrived I asked for them again and the response was that they were very understaffed (there were 5 wait staff to deal with 9 tables), once finished the starter and the plates were being cleared I had to ask for a third time for the drinks, thankfully they did arrive before the main course. When I enquired about the 2AA rosettes at the reception that evening I was told they had given them back because the restaurant no longer did the fine dining, I asked why they still advertised it on their site, to which I was referring to the mobile site, it had apparently been removed from the main site. However the itison coupon says it has 2AA rosettes and curiously there was a poster next to the reception desk advertising Easter stays and the 2AA rosette restaurant, the receptionist said it was an error and that it would be taken down (in the morning it had been removed), although the hotel guides in the rooms also refered to their 2AA rosette bistro. I reluctantly stayed 1 night of what was supposed to be a 2 night stay before I felt I had to check out after the hot water incident, the mattress was very old and hard and I will need to visit an Ostiopath to fix what it's done to my back. I feel completely misled and deceived by what has been sold to me. It is also not only the cost of the coupon which I have incurred, it cost a tank of fuel (around £90) to get there and back and it wasted a weekend, after the first night I couldn't even make the most of my second day because I needed to go home to have a shower.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jean-Paul L
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your interesting read. I have to say after speaking to my receptionist who you reduced to tears that I am not surprised to find your review here on Trip Advisor.

I would like to go through some points in which you mentioned:
You mention the room was small and extremely dated. You booked one of our Classic Guestrooms which is our standard entry level bedroom product and whilst they have minor imperfections such as restricted views or smaller bathrooms/shower rooms, they do offer value and comfort. I can understand the furnishings in our rooms may not be to everyone's taste, this is through personal choice. You will be happy to know that we are about to undergo major refurbishment in our rooms, upgrading our rooms will see a great transformation which we are all excited about.

Heating issue; We did have an issue with our boiler on Sunday morning, which an engineer was called out to rectify; being a small village in the highlands, does mean 30 minutes for them to arrive and assess the situation, the heating and hot water returned to normal at 11.30am, just shortly after you departed us.

Restaurant; We do not buy in our chicken liver parfait, this is made at the hotel. The figs are not actually in season, this may be the reason that this was not on your plate, however this should have been explained to you when you selected this course. The red wine jus is not 'packet mix gravy' but again made in our very own kitchen. I will of course pass your comments over to our Head Chef who I am sure will take your feedback on board. The receptionist was correct in saying that the 2AA rosettes were given back due to us coming out the 'fine dining' aspect. This was the same menu which was awarded the rosette, so unsure as to where you were going with your comments. The advertisements which we made with our third parties (where you purchased your voucher) were done last year when the advertising was correct at the time of publishing. We are in the process of updating all our marketing materiel in the hotel and this includes the guest bedrooms and can certainly assure you that you were not 'scammed' into anything. The new menu commences in April.

We would have liked to have spoken to you in person about your stay, and always have a duty manager present should you wished to voice your concerns, we however do not tolerate any aggression towards our front of house team members.

We thank you for your comments and I hope I have cleared up the points in which you mention.

Kind regards,

Shona MacLachlan
Front Office/Reservations Manager
Reviewed February 24, 2014

On arrival we were given instructions to the garden terrace room but could have done with a map as it was a bit of a trek!! Carpet had tea stains & towel rail was carrying dust. Duvet was lumpy & pillows looked beyond their best. Barman couldn't remember a two drink order. The free wifi was intermittent & only at reception. Don't expect to keep in touch with anyone! The cooked breakfast was awful. One half cooked sausage, one bacon with uncooked thick rind, one tomato, some wet haggis and some beans that had been sitting a while. Poached egg was good though! Decided to eat out both nights after this poor experience. Especially if that's the chef being proud of what he cooks, as stated in the brochure!! Arrived Saturday & had no heating or hot water from the evening through to mid morning Sunday. No real apology & no-one appeared to know about it when we weren't even the first down for breakfast. Having read reviews in return it appears to be a common occurrence! Not great :-( The only thing I'd recommend in this hotel is that someone employs the staff elsewhere as without them being so cheery this hotel would most certainly not survive. They're very lucky to have them!!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank slimsadie1
Brechin, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our 2 night stay in a deluxe garden room in a quiet part of the hotel.
Very comfy bed and we slept well both nights with breakfast served in the room.
Dinner both nights was lovely with a relaxed atmosphere in both bar and dining room
We would recommend these rooms especially in the warmer weather to sit outside and relax

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate you leaving your comments about your stay and for sharing your thoughts with other travellers.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The deluxe garden guestrooms are certainly lovely modern rooms. You will have to come back and visit us during the warmer weather and make use of the seating on the terrace and soak up some sunshine.

Kind regards,

Muckrach Country House Hotel
Muckrach Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!