“Warm welcome.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome.”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We booked two of the Classic rooms for three nights - one double and one single. This was our first stay at the Boat and found it to be a good base. Having read some of the reviews we were a little apprehensive . Rooms were basic but comfortable - a new mattress might be a good investment. Wifi worked in the reception area only. Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day. We had one evening meal and enjoyed it with a good bottle of red wine. The staff were something else. They were hard working and very friendly and nothing was too much for them and they more than made up for any deficiencies. We will certainly find our way back there.l

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nico386

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Felt like a complete scam. The room was very small and extremely dated, the fixtures and fittings were what appeared to be the cheapest available, there was a burn mark on the floor from an iron, one of the pillow-cases had come off the pillow to reveal an extremely old and heavily stained pillow. The window was a single glazed sash-style which moved a lot with the wind. The radiators in the room didn't give any heat whatsoever. In the morning I was unable to have a shower or use the bath bombs provided as there was no hot water (according to trip adviser this is a pretty common occurance), I had to ask at the front desk and was told the boiler had been reset and it would be ok in 20 mins, this was not the case, when I asked a second time I was told that a boiler engineer had been called and that when he arrived around 30 mins later I would know if the hot water be be functional again that day or if it would be the day after. The main reason I was keen on staying however was for the 2AA rosette winning restaurant, this unfortunately was not present. I had 2 courses before deciding I had better vacate the restaurant so I didn't have to face a third, the first course was chicken liver parfait with fig chutney, it was a bought in pate, not a chicken liver parfait, and in addition the fig chutney was not present. The second course was chicken and red wine jus, a red wine jus is a reduction of red wine, it should be slightly sweet and very rich, what I was given was neither - it appeared to be some sort of packet mix gravy, similar to bisto in flavour and consistency, the chicken was very overcooked and the vegetables were very undercooked. When ordering the starter I also ordered some drinks, when the starter arrived I asked for them again and the response was that they were very understaffed (there were 5 wait staff to deal with 9 tables), once finished the starter and the plates were being cleared I had to ask for a third time for the drinks, thankfully they did arrive before the main course. When I enquired about the 2AA rosettes at the reception that evening I was told they had given them back because the restaurant no longer did the fine dining, I asked why they still advertised it on their site, to which I was referring to the mobile site, it had apparently been removed from the main site. However the itison coupon says it has 2AA rosettes and curiously there was a poster next to the reception desk advertising Easter stays and the 2AA rosette restaurant, the receptionist said it was an error and that it would be taken down (in the morning it had been removed), although the hotel guides in the rooms also refered to their 2AA rosette bistro. I reluctantly stayed 1 night of what was supposed to be a 2 night stay before I felt I had to check out after the hot water incident, the mattress was very old and hard and I will need to visit an Ostiopath to fix what it's done to my back. I feel completely misled and deceived by what has been sold to me. It is also not only the cost of the coupon which I have incurred, it cost a tank of fuel (around £90) to get there and back and it wasted a weekend, after the first night I couldn't even make the most of my second day because I needed to go home to have a shower.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jean-Paul L
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your interesting read. I have to say after speaking to my receptionist who you reduced to tears that I am not surprised to find your review here on Trip Advisor.

I would like to go through some points in which you mentioned:
You mention the room was small and extremely dated. You booked one of our Classic Guestrooms which is our standard entry level bedroom product and whilst they have minor imperfections such as restricted views or smaller bathrooms/shower rooms, they do offer value and comfort. I can understand the furnishings in our rooms may not be to everyone's taste, this is through personal choice. You will be happy to know that we are about to undergo major refurbishment in our rooms, upgrading our rooms will see a great transformation which we are all excited about.

Heating issue; We did have an issue with our boiler on Sunday morning, which an engineer was called out to rectify; being a small village in the highlands, does mean 30 minutes for them to arrive and assess the situation, the heating and hot water returned to normal at 11.30am, just shortly after you departed us.

Restaurant; We do not buy in our chicken liver parfait, this is made at the hotel. The figs are not actually in season, this may be the reason that this was not on your plate, however this should have been explained to you when you selected this course. The red wine jus is not 'packet mix gravy' but again made in our very own kitchen. I will of course pass your comments over to our Head Chef who I am sure will take your feedback on board. The receptionist was correct in saying that the 2AA rosettes were given back due to us coming out the 'fine dining' aspect. This was the same menu which was awarded the rosette, so unsure as to where you were going with your comments. The advertisements which we made with our third parties (where you purchased your voucher) were done last year when the advertising was correct at the time of publishing. We are in the process of updating all our marketing materiel in the hotel and this includes the guest bedrooms and can certainly assure you that you were not 'scammed' into anything. The new menu commences in April.

We would have liked to have spoken to you in person about your stay, and always have a duty manager present should you wished to voice your concerns, we however do not tolerate any aggression towards our front of house team members.

We thank you for your comments and I hope I have cleared up the points in which you mention.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

On arrival we were given instructions to the garden terrace room but could have done with a map as it was a bit of a trek!! Carpet had tea stains & towel rail was carrying dust. Duvet was lumpy & pillows looked beyond their best. Barman couldn't remember a two drink order. The free wifi was intermittent & only at reception. Don't expect to keep in touch with anyone! The cooked breakfast was awful. One half cooked sausage, one bacon with uncooked thick rind, one tomato, some wet haggis and some beans that had been sitting a while. Poached egg was good though! Decided to eat out both nights after this poor experience. Especially if that's the chef being proud of what he cooks, as stated in the brochure!! Arrived Saturday & had no heating or hot water from the evening through to mid morning Sunday. No real apology & no-one appeared to know about it when we weren't even the first down for breakfast. Having read reviews in return it appears to be a common occurrence! Not great :-( The only thing I'd recommend in this hotel is that someone employs the staff elsewhere as without them being so cheery this hotel would most certainly not survive. They're very lucky to have them!!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank slimsadie1
Brechin, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our 2 night stay in a deluxe garden room in a quiet part of the hotel.
Very comfy bed and we slept well both nights with breakfast served in the room.
Dinner both nights was lovely with a relaxed atmosphere in both bar and dining room
We would recommend these rooms especially in the warmer weather to sit outside and relax

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate you leaving your comments about your stay and for sharing your thoughts with other travellers.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The deluxe garden guestrooms are certainly lovely modern rooms. You will have to come back and visit us during the warmer weather and make use of the seating on the terrace and soak up some sunshine.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Another warm and friendly welcome by your staff.Our room again was lovely and very clean.
Dinning room had a lovely cosy atmosphere and the scallops were simply delicious.
we look forward to staying with you again so keep our favourite malt (Mcallans)stocked up, cheers

• Stayed February 2014
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Great to hear you both had an enjoyable stay with us once again and thank you for your fantastic 5 star review.

We will of course have the McAllans stocked up for your return!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, one garden terrace accommodating 2 adults (although it was just me and 2 kids) and one classic room for one adult (my mother), one baby. The garden terrace room was great, double doors out to a little patio, big comfy bed and two folding foam beds for the kids, tv on the wall out of reach and lovely shortbread, hot chocolate, tea and coffee. The classic room in the older part of the hotel was a small but functional double with just enough room for a cot, but the shower was not working properly. Really the larger deluxe room could have accommodated 2 adults 2 kids and the baby cot with more ease than the classic room did and I hope the hotel could maybe accommodate a family of 5 in this room? Very few hotels accommodate families of 5 in one room even with young children. Our evening meal was lovely, local and tasty, and whilst some dishes were sold out, specials had been laid on to compensate and I was happily surprised that the kids ate for free. Get the merlot! Breakfast was good, although I was surprised it didn't start earlier to accommodate those going skiing who want to beat the queues, maybe room service was earlier! Free wifi only worked downstairs in the reception and bar areas and there was no phone reception, there is a payphone by the bar and I understand that it is just the area, not something the hotel can do anything about but I do think they can extend the wifi, no? So do your planning/research before you go. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they couldn't do enough for you and really care about your experience with them. Right beside the strathspey railway station the hotel is a gem and I would recommend a stay there in the deluxe rooms with a patio. I may go back just to try the white hot chocolate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for sharing your comments with other travellers. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would recommend our Deluxe Garden Guestrooms.

We do have a Deluxe Junior Suite, which is of similar standard/decor, which can accommodate a family of 5, you may wish to have a look at this next time you are visiting. Unfortunately it doesn't have the garden terrace, but can accommodate you all easily with enough space.

We are looking into our WIFI, which should work through-out the hotel, but unfortunately there was an issue and an engineer is looking into. I can understand that in modern times it is one of the necessities when travelling in a hotel. In regards to the telephone signal, it is not very strong in the whole area, but we will always point our guests in the right direction to get the best signal possible.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As I was denied the opportunity to stay at this hotel I cannot comment on its standards. However after purchasing a travelzoo voucher in november for a 2 night stay I decided to book the 16th & 17th february for myself and my husband. The Hotel phoned me on the 13th to find out if I wanted to book dinner throughout my stay and I explained that I was not feeling 100% and would therefore prefer not to make a reservation still hoping to be well enough to travel. By the 15th it was apparent that I was very unwell and therefore contacted the hotel to make them aware that i would like to change the dates of my stay. The person by the name of Diane who had called me on the thursday regarding dinner reservations took the call on the saturday morning and showed no sympathy whatsoever and told me according to the terms and conditions it would not be possible to rearrange our stay and therefore I through sudden unforeseen illness lost out. To summarise I paid £100 to Travelzoo in November, I booked the Hotel in February giving them the voucher no. which allowed them to claim £100 from Travelzoo…they both win…I loose.
However as a footnote who is the real looser?
My son and family have recently moved to Aviemore and my husband and myself plus other members of our family have been on the lookout for nearby accommodation in order to make regular visits, sadly we were never given the opportunity to make The Boat House our home from home. Very short sighted, appalling business decision to allow local competition to pick up such easy business.

Room Tip: never stayed so can't say