“Good / could improve older rooms...”
Review of The Boat Hotel

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, one garden terrace accommodating 2 adults (although it was just me and 2 kids) and one classic room for one adult (my mother), one baby. The garden terrace room was great, double doors out to a little patio, big comfy bed and two folding foam beds for the kids, tv on the wall out of reach and lovely shortbread, hot chocolate, tea and coffee. The classic room in the older part of the hotel was a small but functional double with just enough room for a cot, but the shower was not working properly. Really the larger deluxe room could have accommodated 2 adults 2 kids and the baby cot with more ease than the classic room did and I hope the hotel could maybe accommodate a family of 5 in this room? Very few hotels accommodate families of 5 in one room even with young children. Our evening meal was lovely, local and tasty, and whilst some dishes were sold out, specials had been laid on to compensate and I was happily surprised that the kids ate for free. Get the merlot! Breakfast was good, although I was surprised it didn't start earlier to accommodate those going skiing who want to beat the queues, maybe room service was earlier! Free wifi only worked downstairs in the reception and bar areas and there was no phone reception, there is a payphone by the bar and I understand that it is just the area, not something the hotel can do anything about but I do think they can extend the wifi, no? So do your planning/research before you go. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they couldn't do enough for you and really care about your experience with them. Right beside the strathspey railway station the hotel is a gem and I would recommend a stay there in the deluxe rooms with a patio. I may go back just to try the white hot chocolate.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for sharing your comments with other travellers. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would recommend our Deluxe Garden Guestrooms.

We do have a Deluxe Junior Suite, which is of similar standard/decor, which can accommodate a family of 5, you may wish to have a look at this next time you are visiting. Unfortunately it doesn't have the garden terrace, but can accommodate you all easily with enough space.

We are looking into our WIFI, which should work through-out the hotel, but unfortunately there was an issue and an engineer is looking into. I can understand that in modern times it is one of the necessities when travelling in a hotel. In regards to the telephone signal, it is not very strong in the whole area, but we will always point our guests in the right direction to get the best signal possible.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As I was denied the opportunity to stay at this hotel I cannot comment on its standards. However after purchasing a travelzoo voucher in november for a 2 night stay I decided to book the 16th & 17th february for myself and my husband. The Hotel phoned me on the 13th to find out if I wanted to book dinner throughout my stay and I explained that I was not feeling 100% and would therefore prefer not to make a reservation still hoping to be well enough to travel. By the 15th it was apparent that I was very unwell and therefore contacted the hotel to make them aware that i would like to change the dates of my stay. The person by the name of Diane who had called me on the thursday regarding dinner reservations took the call on the saturday morning and showed no sympathy whatsoever and told me according to the terms and conditions it would not be possible to rearrange our stay and therefore I through sudden unforeseen illness lost out. To summarise I paid £100 to Travelzoo in November, I booked the Hotel in February giving them the voucher no. which allowed them to claim £100 from Travelzoo…they both win…I loose.
However as a footnote who is the real looser?
My son and family have recently moved to Aviemore and my husband and myself plus other members of our family have been on the lookout for nearby accommodation in order to make regular visits, sadly we were never given the opportunity to make The Boat House our home from home. Very short sighted, appalling business decision to allow local competition to pick up such easy business.

Room Tip: never stayed so can't say
3  Thank robbo495

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor and for sharing your thoughts on one of our voucher bookings. Unfortunately with being a small family run business we do have to put terms and conditions in place for guests who are unable to stay with us.

The terms and conditions of the Travelzoo voucher's is that you have a 7 day modification period, this allows you to modify your booking 7 days prior to arrival, this was noted on your voucher and also the confirmation that was sent to you from the hotel reservations team. We can understand that on this occasion you were unwell, and we would offer you to change the name on the booking as a goodwill gesture if any other family/friends were able to come and use the voucher in your place. Some holiday insurance companies will also cover illness, should you have one, I would recommend speaking to them.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, but hope you can understand that we do have to have these terms and conditions in place.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed at the boat hotel for 1 night while skiing in the Cairngorms. To be fair, I booked at quite short notice on a busy weekend but it was pricey for what we got. The staff were lovely and very helpful but the room was very small, the shower pretty weak and the walls very very thin which made things noisy. I was disappointed by breakfast, when I order pancakes with maple syrup I don't expect to get very crispy crepes! The rest of the breakfast was nice and plenty of it, although they weren't all ready for 8am when breakfast started, which is a bit annoying when trying to beat the queues up to the mountain to ski. They have a lovely bar with a log fire and a friendly barman but for what I paid I was a bit disappointed with the quality

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Tcapper

Dear Guest,

Sorry to hear that your were 'a little bit disappointed' with your stay. We do value your feedback and will certainly take your comments on board. We do offer early breakfast's on request during the ski-season, please let our Front Desk staff know for next time and we can organise something a little earlier for you to allow you to get up the hill in plenty time.

We are currently undergoing major refurbishment at the hotel, so hope you will come back and see us again and give us another try.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for two nights in an Estate Room (upgraded due to previous reviews regarding classic rooms). When we arrived we were greeted warmly but we got slightly lost trying to find our room, it is a bit of a maze! Along the way there were floorboards that weren't straight and it was slightly lop-sided! When we entered our room it was lovely and clean although the fixture and fittings were dated it was acceptable. The bed was very creaky and made such a noise on the slightest of moves and you just sunk a little too much into the mattress. We also on the second morning didn't have any hot water and this seems to be happening with a lot of guests, not really acceptable not to receive the most basic of services. As we bought a deal our food was included in our stay but on the second night it seemed that our hostess didn't fully understand and we were charged for this and she said that it would be taken off the final bill at reception but it wasn't. I checked before our stay that we would receive free wi-fi, this was only possible when you sat down at reception as there was no connection up in our bedroom, very disappointing after a long journey. On our voucher deal we were supposed to recieve bath bombs, a dram of whiskey and scottish tablet but we didn't receive any of these items. The food was excellent and would only really come back for that reason. The hotel really need to spend money on new beds and decor as for the price you have to pay it is not worth it.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your time with us at the Boat Hotel. We are currently undergoing major refurbishment in our guest rooms and do hope that when you decide to come back to enjoy our great food you will give our accommodation another try too.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed for a couple of days as a short break. Upgraded accommodation to two suites for the sake of floor level access showers and a bit more space for a disabled person. Could not fault the suites except that we had no hot water in the shower on the second morning.

Unfortunately, our arrival was delayed by approximately 7 hours because of an incident on the A9. Despite keeping the hotel advised of our progress and arriving at about 10 pm it was disappointing not to be able to have a sandwich or a bite to eat after such a frustrating journey.

Breakfasts were good with good choices. Dinner menus in the evening were lacking on choice and a bit skimpy on portion size.

We enjoyed our stay but it could have been better with a bit more effort beyond the call of duty especially when we had paid a bit more for exactly that.

Hotel is in a quiet, peaceful location and staff were pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: If you need a bit more space, say for special needs, then a suite is a good idea.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed on your arrival due to not being able to eat with us at 10pm. As you had advised one of my staff that you had turned back on the road to go and get your dinner, we did not expect you to have dinner with us at this time. We do however offer all our guests who are late arrivals 'a supper plate' consisting of cold meats and salad, but we had already been told that you were eating elsewhere, and there was no mention of wanting to eat during your 2 telephone calls to the hotel.
On checkout I personally made sure that your room bill was rectified to show that dinner was taken on the second night.
There was an issue with the water on the second morning, which we can only apologise for. This was unfortunately outwith our control and was rectified within 3 hours of us finding the fault.
We are currently installing a biomass boiler system within the hotel, which is due to be completed within the next 2 months.
I am delighted to read that you did enjoy the 4 Poster Junior Suites, these are perfect for having some extra space, especially with the seating area and great views towards the railway and mountains.

We do hope to welcome you back with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is a lovely hotel with warm welcoming staff and a smart, yet relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. The staff worked really hard to make sure everything was right, we really felt nothing was too much trouble. The room was a little dated, but it was clean comfortable and spacious. We would recommend a visit here to anyone, 5 miles north of Aviemore it is less commercial, perfect for train enthusiasts as it is right next door to the Speyside Heritage Railway and the food in the hotel is just fantastic. My husband also wants me to let everyone know it has a good local real ale on hand pull.

1  Thank Becky U

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a great time with us and that you found most aspects of your stay to be 5 star. We are just about to start our room refurbishment programme, which will see all of our rooms refurbished over the next few months (a very exciting time for us!)

Hope to see you both again!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Had a great time at the Boat Hotel. We stayed in room 307 which I believe was a Junior Suite and it was a lovely large room with a great view of the steam railway from the window. The bed was huge, it wasn't until the second day we noticed it was actually 2 single mattresses zipped together so this wasn't really noticeable - when sleeping in it it just felt like one big bed! The bathroom was also huge with a bath and shower. Like the previous reviewer, we had an issue with no hot water one morning but when we spoke to reception they advised they'd had a problem with the heating system that morning and it had now been rectified. Sure enough we went back to our room and after letting the water run for a while it soon became warm.

Breakfast is brilliant. First you get the cold/continental buffet with a wide range of croissants, fruit, cereal and yogurt. Then you choose which hot meal you'd like - the Scottish breakfast and pancakes were both good. You could also choose from porridge, kippers or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs so there was something to suit everyone.

It's only 6 miles into Aviemore but it costs £15 in a taxi so just bear that in mind if you fancy a drink in the town! The last bus back to Boat of Garten is at 7:40pm on weekdays.

All staff are very friendly and make an effort to chat about your plans which is nice.

The only reason I haven't given The Boat Hotel 5 stars is that it just needed a little bit of maintenance - bath needed re-sealed, shower head needed a wee clean and there were a few scuffs and chips on the bedroom walls. I know these are minor things (and to be expected when we're all coming in with snowboards and dirty walking boots) but if they had been maintained just that little bti more I'd have given it 5 stars :)

Room Tip: Book a Junior Suite.
1  Thank polythenegirl

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to go through the aspects of your stay, and appreciate your genuine comments.

We are about to undergo a room refurbishment programme, which will see all our rooms being upgraded/maintained over the next few months. You will also be glad to hear that we are having biomass heating installed to eliminate any more heating/hot water issues.

Glad to read you had a great time and do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
#2 of 3 in Carrbridge
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!