“A highly recommended Hotel.”
Review of The Boat Hotel

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had a lovely relaxing weekend staying at this Hotel. Our Suite was very comfortable, although the settee could do with some new foam in the seats and the windows would benefit from double glazing as there was a draught in the evenings but only in the living area, bedroom and bathroom where fine. However, staff provided a fan heater. We understand this is an old building and things take time to put right, but, would think that for cost efficiency it would be beneficial for the Hotel to double glaze the windows when the budget allows. Lots of condensation present in the morning. Wi-Fi in the rooms was non-existent and only worked right next to the reception, however, an Engineer is being called to put this right. No Satellite T.V. Tea and coffee making facilities, plus bottles of water. No safe which, in this day and age most people paying extra for a suite, would expect.

Bed was very comfortable and we both slept well. Bathroom was spacious and well fitted out lots of nice toiletries.

Breakfast room was, again, a pleasant room and the breakfast was good with a selection of cold and hot food and the best coffee we have ever had in a British Hotel.

Hotel was cosy with nice welcoming fires. Restaurant was very good and we enjoyed two evening meals plus wine and drinks,the prices where really reasonable for the quality and quantity. Service was quick and very professional.

Finally, have to mentioned the exception staff they were hard working, attentive, cheerful, polite, helpful and friendly. Lots of much bigger Hotels could take a lesson from the wonderful staff at this Hotel. We were both very impressed and would give them 10 out of 10. A special mention to Annie the lovely Hungarian girl who, like the rest of the staff is a real assess to this Hotel.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay, we would recommend this Hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with double glazing
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances-Jane
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Boat Hotel on TripAdvisor and for sharing your experiences with other travellers.

We appreciate your comments in regards to the hotel facilities, we do have freeview available giving you more than the standard 5 channels, and as mentioned on the hotel literature we do have safe facilities at the front desk should you have wished to use.

Thank you for flattering words regarding our team members. It’s encouraging to read such a wonderful review and pleasing to know our staff delivered outstanding service consistently throughout your stay and I will be certain to pass over your comments in regards to the 'best coffee in a British hotel'

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have just stayed for two nights with a groupon deal and what a deal it was! This hotel is wonderful, very cosy and the staff are excellent. They couldn't be more friendly and helpful. We overheard someone complain about a draft but we found the rooms Very warm especially after a day in the cairngorms. The restaurant is superb, their new chef brings delicious modern Scottish cuisine to the table. We would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return soon.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helz121
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your your fantastic 5 star review of the Boat Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you both had an enjoyable stay with us using your Groupon voucher, these are indeed great deals when they come along. I will certainly pass over your comments to our new Head Chef, who I am sure will be as delighted as I am with your feedback.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We also stayed here on an 'itison' deal and we were delighted with the value for money that we received.
When phoning to book our stay the reservations manager was extremely pleasant to deal with and we received a confirmation email of our booking very quickly. During our stay all staff were very helpful and are a credit to the management of the hotel who have managed to nurture this excellent customer service in their staff.
On arrival we received a warm welcome and although not shown to our room we were given directions on how to get to it. The room itself was a small double room and although I would agree with other reviewers that it is quite dated the room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean. There were tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the room had an excellent wifi connection. It was also warm and comfortable. The soft, white towels were replaced each day. The main tip that I would recommend is to pay for an upgrade to an estate room. The cost for an upgrade is minimal and will give you more luxurious accommodation.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely and freshly cooked to order. I enjoyed the bacon and scrambled eggs whilst my husband enjoyed the kippers.
We ate in the hotel on the first evening and enjoyed our meal very much.
If I was returning to this area I would definitely stay here again. It really is such good value and provides an excellent service for the money paid. As mentioned above the only change that I would make would be to upgrade my room. Stay here - you will not be disappointed.

3  Thank Miss_Pie

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor and for advising other travellers of your great experience with us at the Boat Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and will certainly pass thanks over to all the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed in the Boatr hotel for three nights on the weekend 2nd march leaving 5th march.
We thought that the food at every meal was really something to talk about.
Very enjoyable. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. But we did wonder
why we had to eat in the bar; a couple of chesterfields don't make it a lounge, and not in the lovely dining room where we had breakfast.
To have a break like this means we have to work quite hard to get the funds
and the expectation was greater than the reality over £600 spent for three nights DBB Some little pointers that would have make a big difference without to much effort by anyone.
Reception Girl was pleasant after she switched off her vacuum at 2.30 pm
Doorway needed vacuum
Receptionist pointed the way to our room instead of having someone take us, rooms at far end of what seemed labyrinth of corridors and stairs
Receptionist on Tuesday did offer help to take our luggage to the car.
There was laundry on the hall floors in more than one place on the way to
our room and the hall and stair carpets were not vacuumed. Still not
vacuumed on the Tuesday.
The room is clean but the leather easy chair had a very unpleasant odour; only one chair in a so called delux room One person has to use the bed or a stool to sit on to relax.
No pictures on any wall in the room
No king size bed. Two singles pushed together
Fancy towel arrangement. On bed but none in bathroom
A new shower fitted but the hole in the wall not filled in around fitting cracked tiles on floor
Wine and strawberries lovely but only three for two people?
No biscuits on the coffee tray
WiFi does not hold signal as does the television
No window to open overnight
Bathroabs threadbare and had holes in one of them no slippers
Advertising and price gives a false impression of the standard of service.
This hotel needs to look at their advertising which is missleading I would give the food three stars the staff four stars but the hotel one
three stars overall down to food and staff

Room Tip: Our review was for room 2 a Deluxe King Garden room it was quiet and access to a deck overlooking &q...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EGmac_307

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, as mentioned in my email correspondence with you, we are working with departmental managers to improve some of the area's in which you mentioned.

I believe you dined with us on the night we had live music, the bar area tends to be asked for so people can enjoy listening to the music whilst eating, you would however have been given the option to dine in the second restaurant, should the bar area not have been acceptable. The Garden Room itself is kept exclusively for breakfast, but I appreciate your comments that this would have been a preference.

Having looked into your room bill, it certainly was not over £600, the Deluxe Room itself was £179 for the 2 nights on the Groupon Voucher which included dinner on one night, breakfast each morning, bottle of prosecco, chocolate strawberries etc, you then opted for an additional night at a cost of £126 and approx £100 was spent on extras such as drinks and food.

Check in at the hotel is from 3pm and as you arrived earlier than this I hope you can appreciate our housekeeping and reception staff were still carrying out cleaning duties. I understand that this may not have been the nicest impression, but hope you were happy that your room was ready for you on arrival. Like many hotel's I have visited, I have never had anyone show me to my bedroom, but clear directions are always given to our guests and assistance with luggage is always offered, should you have expressed any difficulty in getting to your room at the time, we would be happy to help.

The king sized beds in our Deluxe Guestrooms are indeed 'Zip and Link' beds to allow us to use these rooms as both Twin and Doubles, depending on the customers preference. The swan towel arrangement is what we have been using for a few years now, and have proved very popular in discussion with our guests so I am sorry to hear that this was not your preference to have these on the beds, but in the bathroom instead.

I can also assure you that advertising and prices reflect that of a 4 star hotel with 2AA award winning bistro. We work with room rates similar to airlines, so prices can fluctuate depending on the time of year and how busy we are. I am unsure as to how you find our advertising misleading and would welcome you to elaborate in writing to me directly at the hotel in regards to this.

This said, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and found our staff to be very helpful. I would ask that you make contact with myself if planning a further visit to the area and I will ensure we do our upmost to regain your faith in The Boat Hotel.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in middle of Feb on a groupon deal.Delux room with decking outside patio doors great view of the steam railway station and mountains beyond Room very comfortable giant bed. All very nice Dinner included on first night, although there was a bit of confusion re the deal,the meal was excellent and the service quick ,courteous and friendly from the mostly very young staff.Real ale on tap was very nice..Seating in the bar area was a little sparse but comfortable and nice atmosphere.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing Fried egg burnt round the edges croissants a bit tough no marmalade Toast kept warm in a basket causing it to get a bit soggy(should be in a rack) Everything else was ok
Staff without exception were very attentive and genuinely friendly. One of the male staff held a door open for my wife and i and when we started to walk a bit quicker he said "dont rush,your on holiday" nice. We rarely go back to hotels as there is plenty to choose from but this may,just may be the exception

1  Thank ACCIES
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and thrilled that we may be the exception to your rule.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here on an 'itison' deal and will most definetly return. From the moment we booked it the hotel proved that service is everything to them.
All staff throughout the hotel were so helpful and we were made to feel so welcome.
It is obvious that the owners are really trying to turn this hotel around and are spending money on refurbishment. If you are looking for ultra modern chic then you have come to the wrong place but the hotel is very comfortable and just what you need after a days walking/ski-ing with log fires and a welcoming bar! We paid the additional upgrade and stayed in an Estate room - worth every penny. A huge bed and a lovely shower and freestanding bath made for a very pleasant stay.
We ate in the hotel on our first night and the food was of a high standard and very enjoyable.
We left after two nights wishing we had just booked a third one!
This establishment deserves to do well as everyone involved is commited to customer service and ensuring your stay is everything you hoped for.
Well done!

1  Thank Nicola C
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor and for sharing the enjoyment of your stay with other travellers. I am thrilled to hear you had a pleasant stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights in February. We were welcomed warmly and were very happy with our room. A modern extension to the old hotel. A deluxe king garden room which was well presented and very clean.

We decided to eat in the hotel on the first night. The starter was lovely and the restaurant was in the bar and was a little old fashioned. Perhaps guest dining could be moved to the hotel restaurant at the back which would of been nicer as you felt a little cramped and squeezed in with less than a foot from the table wait her side of us. That said the staff were very nice and attentive. The main course was also nice.

The main problem we encountered wasn't until we went to sleep for the evening. The king size bed was in fact 2 beds pushed together. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but they were of differing firmness. My side was comfortable and my partners solid. I changed sides as I prefer a firmer mattress than her.

That said I only managed a few hours the first night and the same the second night. It was not comfortable at all, such a shame.

Also were then awoken at approx 3am absolutely freezing, the first night. The heating had turned off. After speaking with the management. We were advised the heating is automatically controlled to turn off between 0130hrs and 0530hrs. To save money no doubt. I can understand this in the summer but it was frozen outside. The staff did however supply us with a portable heater which kept the room warm but made a terrible racket.

Also the wifi signal in this part of the hotel is almost non existent. It comes and goes at will and when it does come its generally only available for a few minutes so don't expect to stay in touch with the outside world. A problem would easily be solved installing. £20 wifi booster to enhance the signal further from the router. One to be placed at each end of the garden rooms corridor.

However despite all of the above it was still a very pleasant stay. Mainly because of the quality of the rooms the friendliness of the staff and the breakfast was beautiful. I would visit here again in the future but would have to insist on a room with wifi and a decent bed.

Well done though. You have obviously listened to the criticisms of the previous reviews on this site as I never found any of those reviews to be accurate to my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and we will certainly look into the matters you described during your stay and we will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.

I am however happy to hear that you still had a pleasant stay with us and that you will visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Fairwinds Hotel
Fairwinds Hotel
#2 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!