“Eating in the Bistro”

The Boat Hotel Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Boat Bistro & Bar. There are few places in the Cairngorm National park where food, wine and location come together as beautifully as The Boat Bistro, we showcase rustic and seasonal fare and re-imagined classics, featuring vegetables, fruits and herbs grown locally combined with produce sourced from the British Isles. Poached, squeezed, pressed, steamed, grilled, wilted, roasted, battered and seared. Our utterly delicious food, from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, will melt on your tongue and always leave you wanting more. Our menus comprise contemporary interpretations of classic British dishes. Our Lunch and Dinner menus also feature daily Best of British specials. It almost goes without saying that we use fresh, local, seasonal produce as the norm.Breakfast offers you a range of cold dishes and freshly baked pastries from the larder. As well as a fully cooked Scottish breakfast, you can order anything from delicate smoked Scottish Haddock to meltingly beautiful Eggs Florentine. If there’s anything else you’d like to eat, just ask. We’re not too posh or proud to make boiled egg and soldier. The Osprey Bar is warm and welcoming, the perfect place to meet, the bar is full of quiet corners. Tuck yourself away with a paper. Enjoy a quiet romantic moment. The Boat Bistro & Bar, you'll find:Best of British specials every day.Breakfast, lunch and dinner, contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes using fresh local produce. Extensive malt whisky selection. Early Bird Dining. We welcome everyone to experience the Bistro & Bar, including guests not staying at the hotel.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I don't know who wrote The Boat Hotel review on eating but I must say it is slightly out of date
and bears no resemblance to what we were offered. Breakfast was very basic no mention of pastries. We were offerd fruit salad on day two of our stay. Cooked breakfast average.Butter was rationed (had to ask twice for more), would have been nice to have been offered "flora" or it's equivalent. Evening meal £25.00 for three courses rather expensive.OK for one night but to be offered same menu 2nd night very poor and lack of initiative from kitchen / management. They should remember there are many eateries in the area offering the same or better and cheaper therefore I would suggest they revisit what they offer. The A-la Carte menu differed from the house menu by quoting burger or steak. big deal!
Beware if you ask for a side order of chips, £3.95 for frozen chips expensive!
Wine over priced , best not to ask for bottled water however @ £4.25. no incentive for tea total client's in this hotel. Soda and lime £2.50 how is that justified???
Must hotel guests eat in public bar when food is carried through reception?
There must be a room attached to kitchen where dinner could be served to guests like most
other eateries I have been in. (kitchen to table service). Can't imagine management will take any notice of this review but this is my opion of The Boat Bistro

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Whilst spending a couple of days at the Hotel we tried out The Fish and Chip evening (Tuesday's)! It was fantastic. Smoked haddock and chips. A new one one me and I really really enjoyed this. The fact you got a choice of fish was great. Service was good, all the staff were very busy, but still managed to be helpful and very polite.
Particularly a young Polish girl, who's name I do not know. She served us both at dinner and breakfast. She was enthusiastic about the chefs food and her knowledge was good.
I also tried the chefs version of Cranachan, and I have to say..... It was the BEST I HAVE EVER TASTED. The little jelly cells were an absolute taste explosion!! Well done!!
My only criticism...... fish and chips... please don't use frozen chips!! :)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner at the Boat Hotel. The atmosphere is pub like with a little more formal vibe. The food was very good and nicely served. It was a very pleasant evening.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

A most enjoyable meal with food cooked to a high standard. Beautifully presented all food on the plate had its own distinct taste. Staff were very attentive and service was swift. An early bird option – order by 6.30 gives a two or three curse option at a very reasonable price. With autumn upon us make the most of the open log fires.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Ate at the restaurant I had the chicken with ham and broad bean risotto followed by the chocolate mouse dessert. The risotto was bland and the dessert was underwhelming. Overall it all looked very nice but failed to deliver on taste especially for the price.