“Trip "Complete Cairngorms"”
Review of Fraoch Lodge

Fraoch Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We had 5 lovely days, the scenery was magnificent, the walking was not strenuous, the off road walks were beautiful. We learned a lot about the counry side, Scotish history and geology. What ever topic, Andy could give an answer.
The cake o'clock was an fine way to close the walking day, Rebecca's meals were tasty and very good.
Just one small inconvenience, the beds are all 2 m. Which is barely enough for a guy of 1.95 m.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. We always appreciate the feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We booked a stay here as part of 2 day hike in the Cairngorms. They were great hosts and the food was very good.
The hike was also a lot of fun and educational - we got to learn a few winter hiking skills.
Strongly recommend it. But might not b the best option for a family with young kids. Teens and above would probably b the best option.

Stayed: January 2014
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your winter trip with Scot Mountain Holidays. I know you are referring to your winter experience when you say it may not be suitable for young families as we have a lot of people visiting with the kids of all ages from babies upwards during the summer months when there is no snow in the village and we don't have to light a fire in the lounge!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed 5 nights there in july 2014. I found them very friendly.
The accomodation was basic, but you've got to see it in perspective with the price so for me it was ok. Don't expect the same qualtiy as an 70 £ B&B. I had no complaints. For me it was ok.

Pricing of the meals was confusing. 12£ for 2 courses and 15£ for 3 courses. Hadn't had any 3 courses (only 2) but still 15 £ was counted. Didn't made a point of it, because the pakked meals were 5£. That was very reasonable, and I liked the cooking so I was satisfied.

Didn't went hiking in the mountains because I was on a motorbike trip.
I loved the cooking of Rebecca, and the story's of Andy, and of course the story's of Gregor ;-)

Would go back there. Surely.

Regards,
Johan (Belgium)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us. I have looked through our paperwork and can't find any reference to evening meals being £12. We have been charging £15 for at least 2 years now. I would be very interested to know where we advertised the meals at £12 so I can correct the prices. We do have a current price list by the doors which clearly states £15 for 2 courses; this is also the price listed on our confirmation email for all bookings.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Day 1 staying at Fraoch Lodge. Feeling very much like part of the family. Tired after canoeing and looking forward to the delicious dinner smells coming from the kitchen..... :o)

Day 2 - mountain biking, Osprey spotting and a trip home on a steam train. Topped off with delicious home made lasagne, yum !!

Day 3 - hiking, mushroom foraging (porcini) found, then children's theme park getting very sick on rides !

Day 4 - fantastic trip to a cooperage, whiskey tasting at The Glenlivet distillery, then back to Fraoch Lodge for neeps, tatties & haggis in full tartan regalia

Day 5 of our Scottish holiday - cycling and making a pot at the pottery followed by delicious home cooked meatballs.

Last day of our holiday with Andy & Rebecca. Today we did Loch Ness and all it's mysteries, followed by Urquart Castle, then far too hot to go hiking, so we settled for a beer in a pub overlooking Loch Ness.

For a home-to-home experience, you can't beat the welcome at Fraoch Lodge. Rebecca and Andy go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that their guests can fully enjoy their stay in Scotland. If you're a family with energetic kids then this is the holiday for you !!

Room Tip: Usually in hotels adults & children have to stay in the same room, but this lodge felt so safe t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We are very pleased with how the Family Adventure turned out for you. So glad you enjoyed the opportunity to get kitted up as as a genuine Scot. What a great mix of activities it turned out to be.
Hope to see you again in the Highlands again.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just returned from second visit to Fraoch Lodge. It was a great experience once again. Delicious homemade food and a warm family atmosphere. The lodge offers an excellent package for those wishing to walk the Lairig Ghru or Lairig an Laiogh passes in the Cairngorms.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 107Melly
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Delighted to have seen you back at Fraoch Lodge. It's a shame the rest of the family weren't able to join you, especially as you were blessed with such glorious weather again! Did the photos turn out well?

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I needed a place to stay for a single night. The website offers two rates: £21 per night if you stay multiple nights and £25 if you stay only one night. The extra £4 seemed fine. After inquiring by e-mail I was told that I could only book a single night if I also booked dinner (£15), bringing the real cost for one night is £40 (almost as much as booking two nights at the £21 rate). Yes this £40 includes dinner, but let me get to that next.

The meal was pasta with a cream sauce and little bits of ham, a salad from the garden, and two scoops of ice cream. It was a decent home-cooked meal and I am attaching a photo. That said, the meal was not worth £15. I shared the meal with the hosts and I would be surprised if the entire meal for the three of us cost more than a couple of pounds (salad was from the garden, pasta is cheap, and I don't think ham is particularly expensive either). I agreed to pay the £15 for dinner because they required it and I have been very impressed with Scottish cooking. This meal was definitely tasty, but not what I expected for the price.

The rooms were ordinary. The place advertises its "green" status often. From what I can tell, this means that they cut back on some amenities that you might usually expect (e.g. towels, soap, heat).

I also had difficulty making my booking. The host was not very responsive to e-mail and did not answer the phone the two times I called. I left a voicemail with a number to call back, but was never called. My only assurance that I had a confirmed booking was that they e-mailed me a bill prior to my arrival.

I do not recommend this place, especially if you are looking for a place to stay for a single night. I should add that it was not particularly busy when I went (I was the only one staying in the annex), so the penalties for staying a single night made even less sense. You’d think that with so many empty beds they would do more to draw customers in rather than try to squeeze the ones who do come for every penny. As other reviewers have stated, this seemed particularly short-sighted.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

I'm sorry that I forgot to offer towels; we must improve our signage and offer guest information folders so that it is obvious we can provide towels though we choose not to provide them as a matter of course in the rooms.

Our pricing structure is what it is. It is more work to change rooms on a daily basis, which creates more laundry and hence costs more - therefore we charge more. We do however offer free accommodation to under 5s who stay more than one night with their parents. Children aged 5 - 11 are then half price.

Most of our guests also genuinely appreciate the fresh, hand picked produce which is offered as a part of the meals.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This was my second stay at Fraoch Lodge. The first time I was a Wwoofer and now a guest. Rebecca and Andy are wonderful. The Lodge is welcoming and a perfect place to start hiking tours in that area or day trips to towns and Distilleries in the surrounding. Rebecca's cooking is great. And you are also able to cook your own food in the self catering kitchen.
I traveled with 5 friends and it was fabulous to have the annex with its three rooms for our own.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

It was wonderful to have the opportunity to meet your friends and catch up with you again. We are so happy that your first experience of Fraoch Lodge was enjoyable enough that you decided to return on this trip to Scotland.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
The Boat House
The Boat House
#2 of 2 in Boat of Garten
Silverglades Holiday Homes

Been to Fraoch Lodge? Share your experiences!