“Winter Munros”
Review of Fraoch Lodge

Fraoch Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 6, 2014

A fantastic Winter Walking experience. Our Guides, Andy and Malcolm were superb. On our first day up Cairngorm was very hard - deep snow, freezing conditions, blizzard, strong winds and a complete white out - FANTASTIC! My walking companions, John and Mike were just great.
The accommodation at Fraoch lodge is fairly basic, but Andy, Rebecca and wee Gregor made us feel very welcome. Rebecca's cooking is excellent.
If you are looking to experience the delights of the Scottish Highlands in the safe hands of an outstanding guide, I highly recommend that you give Scot Mountain Holiday a try.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have just booked my third stay at Fraoch Lodge in 14 months. Andy, Rebecca and Gregor are all very welcoming and you are made to feel like part of their family. The food is absolutely amazing. Rebecca makes everything from scratch, and I mean everything... bread, pasta, jam, chutney etc. Even the herbal tea is homegrown! The packed lunch making facilities are excellent and cake o'clock is a most welcome treat in-front of the open fire on return from a day in the hills. I have booked as part of the winter skills course and on an accommodation/food only basis and would highly recommend both. Andy is an incredibly knowledgeable guide and skilful leader. I learnt so much and thoroughly enjoyed myself. There is a brilliant drying room (essential after a day in the Scottish hills.) If you are planning a trip to the Aviemore area I would not even consider booking anywhere else :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I have just returned from a Winter Skills Course in the Cairngorms. The whole experience was wonderful, the tuition was very clear and explained as many times as needed; the snow on the plateau was plentiful, challenging cloud cover meant navigation had to be very accurate using contours and pacing; Andy was very knowledgeable about local history, birds, animals and flora; Rebecca’s cooking was delicious and healthy and very welcome after a long day in the hills, some of the ingredients had been grown in their garden. It really was a fantastic experience and I am looking forward to holidaying with Andy, Rebecca and wee Gregor soon.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed in January 2014, with a three and a five year old. The other guests were considerably older then they were! However, that proved not to be a problem, maybe because the nature of the lodge is as an 'outdoors' centre, so guests were generally used to mucking in. The hosts were very accommodating, we had two rooms at the top of the lodge which made it private and quieter for ourselves and other guests. The rooms were spacious, warm and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom between the rooms was also clean. The food was tasty and more than sufficient, and the particular eating habits of the children catered for well.

Value for money was absolutely excellent. We will in all probability come again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had a brilliant time here. I was able to choose my room, which was the warmest in the house. It was midwinter but I HAD to sleep in a t-shirt because it was too warm! Their fireplace and cake o' clock was very welcome after a long day of cold hiking, and having a breakfast and dinner cooked with homemade ingredients was absolutely amazing. We even got to make our own sandwiches for lunch including chocolate and cake!
Andy is ridiculously knowledgeable about the area, and from what I saw his hiking courses were really good and thorough. He did them regardless of the amount of people signed up - now that's dedication.
Both Andy and Rebecca are extremely welcoming and their son Gregor is a great laugh. Will definitely stay here again next time I go back!!
I'm dying for some of the recipes Rebecca.

p.s. I clicked on the swimming pool rating by accident!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed in August 2013 for a week long organised walking holiday. Good aspects: the food was lovely in the evenings and the afternoon tea and cake was great. The "make your own" packed lunch selection was creative and interesting and it was nice to enjoy such good packed lunches when out walking. We had some great days walking although for me, I would have preferred longer and more challenging walks (I went on a Grade 2 holiday) but that is probably my misunderstanding of what Grade 2 was and perhaps an underestimate of my own fitness! Highlight for me was climbing Ben Macdui on a stunning sunny day. Andy (guide) was really friendly and helpful also flexible about what we did each day, depending on weather and individual preferences (there were only 2 of us on the trip). The Cairngorms are unbelievably beautiful with so few tourists compared with other areas and I definitely want to return.

I would have preferred to have known in advance that there were only 2 people booked on the trip, and to have been given the option to cancel- I had been looking forward to meeting a group of people and it is a very different atmosphere with only 2 guests. There were others staying in Fraoch Lodge as a B and B though which made it a bit more sociable.

I found the accommodation quite basic given the overall cost of the holiday but I understand that guiding walks costs money and that most of the cost will have gone towards that. The B and B rates for night by night bookings look appropriate to the standard of the accommodation. I felt more could have been done quite easily to lift the standard of the rooms by having better lighting, nicer bedlinen etc - I didn't really enjoy spending time in my room because it felt cold and dark. It also felt a bit damp which I think reflected the cold weather for August and that it probably had not been heated since the spring. This sort of thing doesn't matter if you are only somewhere for one night but it's not so good for a week.

I felt we kept having to ask for things at breakfast eg enough juice for the table, more toast etc and the cereal selection was a bit stale (possibly not many people eat cereal because most people have cooked).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your holiday based at Fraoch Lodge. We always appreciate the feedback which is given to us. We are in the process of improving the lighting in guest rooms and have upgraded the bulbs in the lamps we already have. We do try to encourage guests to share the lounge and enjoy the open fire there rather than seclude themselves in their rooms - though obviously we would like them to feel comfortable. The house is a granite built house in the Highlands of Scotland, it is designed to remain cool in the summer however, if you had mentioned during your stay that your room felt a wee bit on the chilly side for you, we could easily have turned on the heating to your radiator.
Our breakfast cereals are stored in airtight containers and regularly refilled. They are always washed out before we refill with fresh cereal. We are surprised that you did not find the quality of the cereals to your liking. We could have offered alternatives if asked at the time.
We do pride ourselves on our hospitality but can do little to solve any perceived problems unless we are aware of them. Please do return to Fraoch Lodge again so we can show you the adjustments we have made.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had such a great stay at the Lodge for a weekend a few weeks ago. I arrived Friday evening with a warm welcome from Rebecca and a hot cup of tea in the lounge. Friday night, I shared the lodge with another couple who were finishing a holiday with Andy, but I was alone the following night. The weekend was a great retreat for me as I spent time hiking through the highlands around Boat of Garten and Andy and Rebecca were readily available to help me find routes and give me weather updates. Because it gets dark earlier now, I spent the evening back at the lodge getting to know their family, and wee little Greggor, their 5-year old son.
Each morning, Rebecca had a wonderful breakfast laid out. Even the free breakfast was filled with plenty of cereal, homemade bread, tea/coffee/juice, with the option to upgrade to a cooked meal.
While staying at the lodge, I really felt like I was at home, or at the home of a good friend. I never felt like another number/customer as you do at most larger hotels and hostels.
I would definitely recommend the Lodge and if I'm back in the area, I'm sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review Fraoch Lodge. We always appreciate the feedback we receive, especially when we know you have also been recommending us to your friends. We hope you will find the time to return to see us before you have to go back Stateside.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
The Boat House
The Boat House
#2 of 2 in Boat of Garten
Silverglades Holiday Homes

Been to Fraoch Lodge? Share your experiences!