“A Wonderful Weekend Away”
Review of Fraoch Lodge

Fraoch Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had such a great stay at the Lodge for a weekend a few weeks ago. I arrived Friday evening with a warm welcome from Rebecca and a hot cup of tea in the lounge. Friday night, I shared the lodge with another couple who were finishing a holiday with Andy, but I was alone the following night. The weekend was a great retreat for me as I spent time hiking through the highlands around Boat of Garten and Andy and Rebecca were readily available to help me find routes and give me weather updates. Because it gets dark earlier now, I spent the evening back at the lodge getting to know their family, and wee little Greggor, their 5-year old son.
Each morning, Rebecca had a wonderful breakfast laid out. Even the free breakfast was filled with plenty of cereal, homemade bread, tea/coffee/juice, with the option to upgrade to a cooked meal.
While staying at the lodge, I really felt like I was at home, or at the home of a good friend. I never felt like another number/customer as you do at most larger hotels and hostels.
I would definitely recommend the Lodge and if I'm back in the area, I'm sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Fraoch Lodge. We always appreciate the feedback we receive, especially when we know you have also been recommending us to your friends. We hope you will find the time to return to see us before you have to go back Stateside.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at Fraoch lodge in september and we really had a great time. The hosts provided us very good advices about the area, the rooms was spacious and the breakfast was excellent. The lounge with the fireplace was perfect after a rainy day!
Two thumbs up!

Mélanie and Catherine

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review Fraoch Lodge. We were delighted to meet you in the summer and hope you have been encouraging your friends to come over to Scotland.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Friendly hosts, who provided good advice about the area. The room was big and clean and the self catering kitchen is well equipped. They have a good attitude about green tourism and a lot of the food provided is grown in their own garden.
However, apart from the lovely homemade jam, the breakfasts were not very good. We were offered porridge as an option for breakfast and said 'yes please'. However the next morning we got no porridge, so had cereals instead. Another day we opted for the cooked breakfast and this was partially burnt and insubstantial. The breakfast table was sticky and without a tablecloth and margarine or butter was forgotten on most mornings. Likewise juice and tea were forgotten and I had to either go and ask for them or make my own tea. It was annoying that when other guests arrived, they were provided with a tablecloth and even a bowl of raspberries with their porridge. I was left wondering if I was not the 'right' sort of guest and felt unwelcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tone5
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

No insult was intended by offering complimentary fresh fruit from the garden. Unfortunately our garden is not big enough to produce fruit for everyone every day, especially when the main summer period is over. When we have the time to pick the available fruit, we put it on the table if there is enough. Our next crop will be the plums and apples but now the strawberries, raspberries and loganberries have finished, in the meantime, we only have stewed fruit on occasion. We do not offer fresh fruit as a standard inclusion for breakfast as we cannot guarantee supply. When offered it is intended to be a treat for everyone at the table.

The tables are not sticky because they have not been cleaned but were cleaned with the wrong product which has damaged the varnish. We are planning to plane the tables in the autumn when we have the time; however, we did not realise that the surface was so offensive and will now be using tablecloths daily for guests.

Our cooked breakfasts offer up to 5 cooked items for an additional £3. We used to offer more items but guests told us the breakfasts were too large.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Fraoch Lodge is located in Boat of Garten, a lovely village not to far from Avimore or Grantown on Spey with beautiful walking routes. I booked into Froach Lodge while I was carrying out research for university in on of the local rivers as it was in a convenient location.

I found my stay at Fraoch Lodge very pleasant. I was offered coffee on arrival while I signed in and was then shown to my room. The room was spacious and nicely decorated with two single beds either side. Breakfast was cereal with the option of porridge and toast (or I could have upgraded to a cooked breakfast for just £3) with the most amazing preserves made by Rebecca, of which they sell jars of for £2 (The orange and whisky marmalade in divine!!). The kitchen is fully stocked with pots, pans crockery and cooking utensils for those wishing to cook for themselves and is kept very clean and tidy.

Rebecca and Andy are very friendly and Andy is a wealth of knowledge on the geography, geology and ecology of the Abernethy and Cairngorms area and I enjoyed discussing my research with him. I was also treated to many conversations with their 5 yr old son Gregor who is very entertaining, well behaved and is a wee charmer.

I was very happy with my stay and the service provided and would happily stay again, both by myself or with my family. I highly recommend Fraoch lodge for anybody who is looking for a relatively inexpensive but high quality hostel/B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bullfinchzoo

We are delighted that you were so happy with your stay and hope to see you back at Fraoch Lodge with all the family (or on your own again) in the not too distant future. Good luck with the research - we look forward to hearing the results.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

What impressed me the most (and already the place was lovely) was the healthy food options. The simple breakfast was cereals and bread, porridge optional, tea, coffee etc. But in contrast to other places where we stayed, the food was on the healthier side of things. Especially the 5 pound lunch pack option was great. They lay out some topics and homemade bread and you make your own sandwhich. You also get a cake and chocolate bar with it so the deal is excellent.
Rooms were nice and clean - no boots inside the house - and the owners were accessible but honest (no overwhelming fake niceness). Very much recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Fraoch Lodge. We hope that you will continue to put out the good word to your friends and look forward to seeing some of them at Fraoch Lodge in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Good base for mountain bike trails - both man made and natural (Lagan, Glenlivet, Glenfeshie, Rothiemurchus all within easy reach). Comfortable, relaxed accommodation with a laid back & welcoming vibe. Rebecca's evening meal was lovely - praised by some of the most notoriously reticent of our group! Great fresh healthy home cooking including home grown veg, tasty salad and zingy fruit from the garden. Everybody in our group thought Fraoch Lodge offered great value for money. Hotel down the road is pricey but the bar is handy for a comfy evening pint.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

We try to maintain a homely and welcoming feel to Fraoch Lodge. We feel that putting locks on all the rooms would detract from this, especially when we are resident in the lodge when guests are out. If we leave the premises, we do lock the house up until our return, though guests in residence can still access the building with a code to the combination lock on the front door.

If there are any valuables which are of concern, some guests choose to leave them with us in the office for safekeeping.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great stay in late June. Excellent base for the Cairngorms - no need to visit Aviemore! Owner has great knowledge of local area and they're very friendly. Sitting room with open fire was great, excellent selection of books and magazines. Breakfast was good, kitchen facilities was also good. Only qualm was that we had no lock on our door - despite not really needing one it would have been nice to have the option of locking our door whilst out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

We try to maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere of a home away from home here at Fraoch Lodge. The house is also our home and we feel that locks on all the doors would detract from this, especially when we are in the house while guests are out enjoying the local area. However, if we do have to leave the building, we lock the house, though guests in residence still have access if they have the code to the front door.

If there are any valuables about which guests are particularly concerned, some people choose to leave them with us in the office for safekeeping.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
#10 of 29 in Aviemore
Aviemore Youth Hostel
Aviemore Youth Hostel
#13 of 25 in Aviemore

Been to Fraoch Lodge? Share your experiences!