Loch Melfort Hotel
$143
Lochgair Hotel(Lochgilphead)
$88
  • Breakfast included
The Argyll Inn(Lochgilphead)(Great Value!)
$72
Grey Gull Inn(Ardrishaig)
$117
Hotels.com
Allt-Na-Craig(Ardrishaig)
$150
All reviewsarduaine gardenshighland cattlecedar wingbistro menunational trustthe main housestunning viewsdining roompatio doorscontinental breakfastgourmet nightscallopsboth nightswater supplywell worth a visitbrown waterlog fire
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This is a very friendly hotel. It has a bistro and award wining dinning menu. The scenery is absoluely stunning. It is next to the beautiful Arduaine gardens. It has its own highland cows ducks and hens, so very fresh eggs.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed at Loch Melfort in April 2011 with my fiance. The hotel faces the ocean and offers some truly spectacular views (we were lucky enough to be blessed with sunshine too). We stayed in the Cedar Wing which is a row of chalet-style rooms with lovely terraces which face the water and the resident Highland cows! We were really impressed with the room and the surrounding land (the gardens are especially beautiful).

Unfortunately we felt disappointed by the service at dinner. We ate in the Chartroom II Bistro, which again affords lovely views of the water. Our waiter took about 10 minutes before he brought us a menu or asked for our drink order. When he eventually returned to take our food order he couldn't tell us off the top of his head what the soup of the day was and proceeded to tell us that the first three meals we wanted were off the menu. I do understand that as a seafood restaurant that relies on what is caught that day, it is unavoidable to sometimes run out of certain foods...my gripe is that we had to keep trying to order them while our waiter ummed and ahhed and ran back and forth to the kitchen to check. Surely easier to tell us straight away what is off the menu rather than having us run through it ourselves? The starters then took 35 min to arrive - quite a feat for soup of the day and crab claw salad. Our main course then took a further 55 min to come after the starters due to a 'confusion' in the kitchen. This was only apologised for once and only after we enquired about the whereabouts of our food. No drinks were offered during this time and we had to spend 5 min trying to attract the waiter's attention to re-order more.

We thought perhaps we were just unlucky but the couple who left just before us made their own displeasure clear to the manageress.

I'd like to stress that Loch Melfort is a truly lovely place to stay. All the staff were charming(reception / breakfast etc) and I appreciate the sloppy dinner service was not entirely the fault of our waiters as they don't cook the food but it really marred our experience. Also - just to point out - the food, when it eventually arrived, was fabulous.

Perhaps just a one off but it's a shame since everything else was so lovely (and as a dogless dog lover I adored having lots of them running about the gardens!)

1  Thank Kirsten W
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehenisve review on our hotel. We always appreciate guest feedback and I am glad that overall you enjoyed you experience. Our Chartroom Bistro is shut during the winter and despite all our best efforts at training new staff when we re-open, it does take the first couple of weeks to get things totally right and our new staff up to speed. This year we compounded the situation by introducing a new summer lunch and dinner menu when we re-opened. Hopefully we have now got over our opening hitches and deliver excellent service for the rest of the season.

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Over 6 years ago i worked in the fine dining restaurant at the loch melfort, i returned last May 2010, and ate in the bistro. Buckets of mussels and plates filled with enormous langoustines. So this is why i wanted to take my partner there this year.
Luckily the weather was gorgeous as the views from the hotel are stunning, Then 4 things we both loved, sitting outside on comfy deck chairs with a glass of wine in the sun, the langoustines for a starter in the restaurant, the highland cows and i appreciated how much work the new owners had put into the hotel.
Having raved about this place for weeks leading up to our stay with my partner i was quite embarassed. The food in the fine dining restaurant, bar my starter of langoustines, was quite hit and miss. My lamb was soo overdone and chewy, whilst his meal was a miss match or tastes and flavours, which didn't compliment eachother. We thought maybe the head chef is off tonight.

I still love this hotel as it does mean alot to me, i just think next time we come we may stick to our guns and eat in the bistro again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I was not clear from your review whether you actually stayed with us or just came for a meal. Anyway, we hate to disappoint and take on board the comments regarding your lamb. All our lamb comes from Barbreck Farm at Ardfern just around the corner. It was disappointing to hear it was not up to their usual quality. We have been experimenting with introducing some different cuts of lamb on the menu in the last couple of weeks, so you may have been served a chump rather than a rack. Normally we would deal with feedback regarding food straight away either by replacing it or by offering you an alternative or refund if you were really not happy. It is unusual that you took the time to write about this on tripadvisor and not let us deal with it on a one-to-one basis! Calum and I have owned the hotel for the last 2.5 years and as we are a family-run hotel we much prefer to talk to our customers face to face and sort out anything there and then! Perhaps if you come back in the future you can introduce yourselves as ex-hotel workers and we would be delighted to meet you.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

I love visiting Argyll and have stayed in many establishments. The Loch Melfort hotel is in my top 5 as it ticks all the boxes. Forgetting the fact that it is situated within an absolutely stunning location the hotel is 5 star. The staff are friendly and very helpful, the rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The food is delicious and sourced locally. I do not know what else to say, simply put I would go back again and again and again....................

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We choose to hold our wedding close to our home and picked Loch Melfort Hotel because of its location. We are so glad we did because they made it the best day of our lives, the friendly staff made it so easy and the day ran seamlessly. The food was incredible, rooms lovely, and the views go without saying. They were so accommodating, they even let me bring my horse with me! Everyone commented on the perfect venue.