“Highland Heritage long weekend.”

Muthu Dalmally Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Dalmally B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have Just had a coach holiday and this was completely ruined by the organisers 'Highland Heritage' in three ways. THE HOTEL, the pillow cases were dirty with hair oil/grease, the carpet was stained from the far side of the bed in a semi circle to the bathroom that looked like someone has thrown up and the stain is still there. THE JOURNEY, We were picked up by the coach in Stourbridge on time at 7.00 am and then picked up other passengers at Digbeth coach station in Birmingham, the centre of Stafford and the centre of Stoke on Trent this took up over the first two hours we then had to stop at Sandbach Services because of driver regulations for 30 mins. we then continued to Tebay Services on the M6 which is on the side of Shap, Where all the passengers were transferred to a Highland Heritage coach to Dalmally This took longer than expected as the coach from Scotland was late. We had to wait out in a bitterly cold wind while the drivers changed the luggage between the coaches and we were not allow to board the coach till the driver said so. We arrived in Dalmally at 6.30pm. along with two other loaded coaches. THE FOOD. In one word DISGUSTING Everything was either overcooked or undercooked and tasteless. THE ATMOPHERE and GUESTS. Fantastic. HOTEL STAFF and ENTERTAINMENT. Very good. THE DRIVERS and DAY TRIPS. Exceptionable.

4  Thank Roy133
There are newer reviews for Muthu Dalmally Hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Our first coach trip and a very long journey (12 hours) Not much leg room on the feeder coach but it was very clean. HH coach had more leg room but needs up dating.
On arrival at the Dalmally Hotel we were welcomed by Michael the manager ( who does need more training in hotel management skills,) On being shown to our room it was lovely and warm but first impressions count. The carpet was stained and grubby and badly in need of being cleaned and the creases need to be stretched out. The pillow case had grease on it in more than one place, but this was changed after complaining to Michael. The duvet was constantly being put with the open end at the top, the bed linen was not ironed and is very thin because of over use, and the lights above the bed are high and difficult to reach if lying down, no bed side lights at all A very depressing room.The bathroom was small but with plenty of towels and lots of very hot water. The floors need cleaning properly, around the pedestal of the wash basin there is black mould,the toilet bowl needs bleach down it to clean it thoroughly. Cleaning also needs to be done at the back and sides of the toilet and the toilet seat. Great attention is paid to guests using hand sanitizer on going into the restaurant and other parts of the hotel and getting on the coach, just as much attention should be paid to cleanliness in the bathrooms.
The restaurant was festively decorated and the staff were very pleasant and hard working but we were so cramped together at the tables it was uncomfortable.
Food quality was very poor, reconstituted egg served scrambled two mornings and hard fried eggs on the other two mornings, no choice offered. We found it easier to have the full breakfast and leave what we did not want. The porridge was good. The meat served at the evening meals left much to be desired, the turkey for our Christmas meal was pressed meat with no flavour, the gammon was also processed and the beef served for Hogmanay was very over cooked and burnt and hard to cut The sauce on the plaice was thicker than the tiny bit of fish served. I could go on about the food but I think you get the picture,
The saving grace of the whole holiday were the excursions, and the evening entertainment.
We were so lucky to have John as our driver, he was very knowledgeable about the places we
visited and was always helpful and he has a good sense of humour. Full marks to him.
We met the most friendly people and did enjoy the entertainment and joined in with the singing and dancing. Would we go again? Yes but not with this company and would not recommend this hotel to any of our friends. Mr Cleaver you should do more checking, and have a good look at the quality of your rooms, and if you dare try the meals in a full dining room.

Room Tip: Just don't go.
6  Thank margaret p
Reviewed November 18, 2013

skills driver Mark was very good,Highland heritage driver Stevie was very good and informative,Day trips out were good with Stevie not so good with Ramando Hotel ,Michael was very lapsed in hotel management skills but after words with him at our table service did improve,Mr CLEAVER should do more spot checks on his staff to see how they are treating his guests, the chef wore dirty clothing ,also meals for the first two days were not presented well at all.I Have been an entertainment secretary in the past and would have been thrown off my post if I presented entertainers other than the first night like this ,very poor entertainment .Rooms were average for what we paid .

2  Thank worlwidetravlers
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our first ever trip to Scotland and with HH. We had a lovely time & met some nice people. The feeder coach was from Skills, very uncomfortable and lack of leg room. Was glad when we got on HH coaches. Our room, Room 52, well the view.. what view? was of Perspex roof and stone walls, Was disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable though. Down side was from people above us trudging around bedroom at 6am. The dining room experience, like everyone else says you are forcefully greeted with hand sanitizer at every meal. A little odd I would like to say as the chairs in the dining room are disgusting. Stains and rips on them and made me feel a bit sick to be honest. The staff in the dining room where pleasant but I did not hear a Scottish accent from any of them. To be fair they worked very hard and got the meals out quickly. The food was excellent, no complains at all. The entertainment was ok and the bar prices where very reasonable but very limited choice. Just wish the guy behind the bar took his personal hygiene seriously. Could smell him across the room, yuk. The trips where very good, but tiring. Long journeys and very little time at some places. Would like to have spent more time in Edinburgh and Loch Ness and not stop off in Fort William, one main street of charity shops, not my idea of holiday shopping. The highland concert in Oban was ok, but Mr C gets a bit irritating after a while. Would not repeat that again. On a plus note our coach driver Steve was a legend, made our trips very interesting looking for the wild haggis lol. Overall I would like to say It was a good holiday, and I suppose what do you expect from paying £144 each. You couldn't get a deal like that anywhere. I would travel with HH again, maybe chose a different hotel. But my main reminder of this holiday was the very dirty chairs in the dining room. Sorry but it has to be said, throw them out Mr C before next year please.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Soulgirl65
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our holiday at the Dalmally and it was fantastic from the moment we arrived we were very impressed. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed in a hotel and the size of the room was amazing, also I couldn't believe there were fluffy dressing gowns in the wardrobe. The food was very good, always piping hot and the staff were excellent. I left my handbag in the restaurant by mistake with credit cards and a lot of money in and it was on my husband's chair the next morning all in tact I thank them for their honesty. We will certainly be taking another holiday with HH it was superb it was the best coach holiday we have ever been on and the bus drivers were brilliant they were very knowlegable. Also the trips out were very good and we really enjoyed the concert on the last day of our holiday.

Room Tip: We booked early and asked for a premier room
2  Thank surprise6
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was my second trip with Highland Heritage and what an amazing time I had. My Mum and Grandmother used to come many years ago and loved it then, sadly Nan is no longer with us so I felt it was time to keep up with family tradition. I went with my Mum, my Aunt and my best friend, we went for the six day tour this year, staying at the Dalmally Hotel. From the moment we got on to the coach at the beginning of the holiday to the moment we arrived back home we did nothing but smile and laugh all the way. The feeder coach was comfortable, the driver was very pleasant, informative, kind and helpful. We reached Tebay Truck Stop to swap coaches to the Highland Heritage coach which was done in a professional manner.
Then our trip really began, our driver, Frank was amazing, funny, kind, extremely helpful, full of knowledge and history and made us smile from start to end.
The Dalmally Hotel was amazing, rooms were extremely comfortable, very clean, the staff went out of their way to ensure you had everything you required. They were extremely friendly, kind and helpful. The Manager Michael was lovely, kind, helpful and could not do enough for the guests.
The day trips were fabulous and the scenery was out of this world.
The live entertainment each night was brilliant catering for everyone's tastes, I especially loved Billy, he is just the best!!!!!!!!!
This year we had a Highland Concert in Oban which was wonderful and was very close to my heart, it finished the holiday off perfectly.
This holiday is extremely good value for money, enjoyable, relaxing and something which I myself hope to continue doing for many years to come and I cannot wait to return next year.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Second time we have been away with HH , if you want 5 star then be prepared to pay 5 star prices , if you want an enjoyable coach tour with excellent coaches and great drivers then HH is for you , excellent value , good service in the hotel and wonderful scenery . Prices in the hotel bar very reasonable . The Manager and all staff were very helpful at all times . Be prepared you spend a lot of time on the coach getting to Dalmally , this is not the fault of Highland Heritage , it is due to Scotland being a long distance away , strangely a lot of people do not seem to realise this .
we shall be booking a trip with them again next year

Room Tip: If possible go for the top floor , no noise from rooms above you
2  Thank Tony H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalmally
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
#3 of 7 in Tyndrum

Been to Muthu Dalmally Hotel? Share your experiences!