“You get what you pay for!”

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed here while walking the coast path. The location is very convenient. This b&b is in need of a refurb but I think it is really good value for money. I found it comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really lovely. I would definitely recommend it for people passing through.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 814mary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed in Southmead Guesthouse prior to competing in the Llanelli half marathon a few weeks ago. All I can say is that I would not, under any circumstances, recommend this establishment.

Firstly, the smell of the place was reminiscent of a time when smoking was legal in public places in Wales. There was also a lingering smell of stale sweat and grime.The room we stayed in was dingy, dark and damp, and was also pervaded by this smell. There were clearly 'regular' guests who were smoking in their rooms.

There was no heater in the bathroom, nor were there enough towels for the three of us. When we were provided with towels, they were hand towels, and not big enough for three adults to have a shower.

We were also pressured by the manager to eat at an establishement up the road which was clearly linked with him in some way. Needless to say we did not do this, electing rather to go to the town centre.

The breakfast in the morning left a lot to be desired by a ling-distance runner. My only request had been porridge. How on earth a 'chef' can mess up something as simple as porridge I have no idea. It was clearly microwaved but was lukewarm when it arrived on the table. The English Breakfasts ordered by my parents were also microwaved, which is unacceptable. The only coffee available was Nescafe instant sachets; no ground or even filter coffee was offered. I ended up running a half marathon fuelled by six bananas, having been unable to make myself eat the vomit-like porridge I was provided with.

We chose this B&B based on reviews written on Trip-Advisor. All I can say is that I find these 'excellent' reviews very suspect, and I would certainly make further enquiries before choosing this establishment.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Harri H

Travelers are raving about these Llanelli hotels

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Southmead guest house before and I have to admit that the stay last time I was here was very warm inviting and really really welcoming. The staff at the Southmead Guesthouse are very kind, good, and happy. Now that I have stayed at this Guesthouse for a second time this year I am very happy with the big improvements that have been made to the Southmead Guesthouse and if I had to sum up the South Mead Guesthouse into one word I would say EXCELLENT.

Now onto the staff at the South Mead Guesthouse

Andrew (manger) : Andrew is very understanding, welcoming, helpful, reliable, trust worthy and if i had to sum him up in one word ABSOLUTELY A GOD SEND

Jeremy (Chef/cleaner) : Jeremy is a brilliant chef from what I have seen, I can seriously say that he takes a lot of time taking care when it comes to his cooking and cleaning and if I had to mark him out of a score of ten I would give him a 10 out of ten.

For people reading this review I would kindly like to say that they can not get a better guest house than the SouthMead Guest house .

Yours Sincerely Mr E R Hallisey

Room Tip: when booking a room at the South Mead Guesthouse always ask for room 4 as it is warm and homely. Als...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Carmichael, California
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have stayed at Southmead for four years and I have had a wonderful time there. everyone was helpful ,pleasant and genuine. the breakfasts were great-with great variety-Jeremy is a great cook and plan to be there next fall.

Room Tip: tell the staff what your needs are!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This place is crazy! I stayed here with 7 other people while working in llanelli. We stayed there for about 7 weeks in total. There was never a dull moment.... After staying there so long, nothing suprised us. Everyday something ridiculous happened. I have too many things to list. All you have to do is read the other comments. But be aware the things other people are saying in their comments, are not one off occurrences. They happen most days. I will make a list of do's and donts, and things to take, if you wish to stay there.
Take a pair of flip flops for when you shower.
Take a towel.
Take a sleeping bag and pillow.
Avoid the chefs succulent sauce. Maybe avoid all eating activities.
If you need wifi say so when you are booking, only 3 rooms can get a signal.
Avoid touching any fixtures or fittings, There is a high chance you will break something .
Don't take your partner for a romantic weekend.
At south mead nothing seems to match or fit together. The guys that run it are very unusual people, but they are harmless. It is hard to fathom out the set up. As well as the unusual staff. There seems to be some very colourful characters stay there. Which made things even more interesting. It's a Mecca for societies misfits. I met all kinds of people there, most of which were completely eccentric.
If you have a good sense of humour and don't have OCD you will be fine. Me and a friend shared a room there. We cried with intense laughter every night. I often cried myself to sleep with laughter! As I said earlier, there was never a dull moment. I still laugh now at some of the things that happened at south mead.
All in all i enjoyed my time at south mead. Purely for the comedy factor. But everything else is pretty grim.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Turnstable
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked a room via laterooms.com at 1900 in the evening 15/10/13 as it was the cheapest in the area and my night away from home was unexpected. Andrew was very helpful when I arrived and although i'd booked a single room he upgraded my room for no extra charge as the new room was vacant anyway. The decor was a bit tired and dated but everything was clean, tea making facilities in the room were most welcome after a very long and tiring day and the shower and toilet were very clean. Breakfast was as much tea,toast and cereal as you wanted and a full English breakfast which was very tasty, as all this was included in the price you couldn't go wrong. I cannot understand people who go to a cheap B&B and expect Ritz standards, you want posh accommodation pay posh prices, I thought it was excellent value for the money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

booked 3 nights - had to call and bang on doors for 40 minutes -eventually some people turned up and said they thought the chef should have been there-the kindest thing i could say about the decor is "tired"but the worst problem was the lack of basic hygene the- rooms were filthy stunk of stale cigarette smoke, bathroom light didnt work, tv did not work .It was only habitable after buying cleaning cloths and bleach(and Febreeze) and cleaning it ourselves. really dreadful you have been warned !

Room Tip: find somewhere else
Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends