“A Tired & Run-Down Bed & Breakfast in Llanelli.”

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Perth, United Kingdom
“A Tired & Run-Down Bed & Breakfast in Llanelli.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

My friend and I were embarking on a charity Walkathon and so needed a place close to the bay. Oh dear, what a shock on arrival. There were a group of men sitting on the wall at the entrance, smoking and drinking cans of something (we thought we'd come to the wrong place!). When the front door was opened, the owner appeared somewhat unkempt with his shirt hanging our of his trousers! He did not seem very interested in our arrival as guests.
Our room was not very inviting. The decor was tired and seemed like a lick of paint was in need. But most off-putting was the toilet: it had NOT been cleaned properly. Horrible vision. The shower felt unclean and was minute in size. The whole room felt like it wasn't very clean. The beds however were fine.
Breakfast was beyond a joke. We are both vegetarians and there was very little offered that appealed to me. There was NO brown bread even. There was no herb tea - the packet was on the shelf, but it was empty!
On talking to Andrew, the manager I quickly realised that Llanelli is struggling economically with the recession hitting hard (few jobs about) and it seems everybody in the town are very depressed and find life a real struggle. I felt sorry for him when we left the place.

Room Tip: Ground floor room had view of car park, behind the net curtains. Not good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

sOUTHMEAD is a great place to stay the breakfast is wonderful (im picky about breakfast) and more than ican eat. the place is clean and older(charming). the staff is really nice and i fell really comfortable there as this is my third stay there and i will be there again.!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kathleenwalker
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked with trepidation after reading some of the reviews here but as it turned out I didn't need to worry. I booked directly at 24hours notice and on the phone Andrew (the owner) couldn't have been more polite and pleasant and couldn't do enough for me, he even gave me several phone numbers of other guesthouses in the area when at first he didn't have a single-bed room available.
I called him back when I had no luck with the others and he offered to upgrade me to a large front family room for the price of a single room for my three night stay.
On arrival, I was impressed by the attention to guest safety with numerous security lights leading from the rear car park around to the front door.
Andrew was as polite at the door as he was on the phone.
Admittedly the decor and some fittings are a little tired and threadbare but bear in mind this was the cheapest (bar none) guesthouse I could find on the internet and at those prices, guests must be plain stupid to expect the place to be immaculately decorated! However, it is very obvious that regular maintenance and painting takes place to keep things under control. There was a slightly stale odour evident which was undoubtedly the carpets after many years of cooking breakfasts and probably smoking when it used to be allowed, but it wasn't noticeable after just a few minutes. Most importantly though, on close inspection, everything was spotlessly clean, the toilet looked like it had been polished!
Yes the furniture is mismatched but it meant I had plenty of drawers and cupboards to put my stuff in. Other places like Ibis Hotels don't supply ANY drawers at all and no breakfast or extra pillows... and for THREE TIMES as much money. I was even supplied with an Iron on request (many places charge for this).
The bed was a little lumpy but if you want a Premier Inn bed... go pay Premier Inn prices.
I was also pleased to see a fridge in the room for your vinho. The only time I've ever seen that before is in 4 -5 Star hotels with mini bars specially designed NOT to take a bottle of your own wine!
Breakfast was actually very nice, not at all greasy or fatty, perfect egg, tasty bacon and sausage unlimited tea and plenty of DIY toast and cereal. Someone on this website complained of tinned tomatoes not fresh... What??! Get a life!
The chef is a very quiet man and when you get talking to him, a really nice guy. He approached me on my last day and asked what I thought of the breakfast, it turned out someone had just left a scathing comment on a site like this one describing breakfast as "disgusting". He was clearly hurt by the comment and said if people had the decency to make the complaint to him directly, he'd be more than happy to do something to rectify the problem. Personally?.. I really enjoyed breakfast!
Ok here's my complaint (there's got to be one hasn't there?) The lighting! My room had two wall lights with strong (CLEAR) 10,000 watt bulbs in them so even only with one switched on it was either like sitting under football pitch floodlights or lights off completely, not very relaxing in the evening! Could do with dimmer, softer bulbs.
By contrast, the breakfast room was really dimly lit. I wanted to swap the bulbs with the ones in my room. But that's just my personal taste!
All in all, a nice stay. I'll definitely use them again.
My advice to the moaners here? Stop searching the Internet for cheap accommodation and then complaining that it doesn't meet your high standards.
Simon.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Simonsgl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I am a single young female who stayed at this hotel on my own for one night. I booked the room very late in the day and arrive quite late that evening.
Upon arrival the front of the hotel does look quite scarey and is very dark. I was greeted by a man who was not the worlds most presentable. He was very polite though and very accommodating and very helpful in explaining fire points and the room ect. The room had 2 single beds and was very clean with usual tea/coffee facilities. The room was not very well decorated. I had to leave early in the morning so did not see breakfast and can't comment on the food.
Overall I paid £30 for this room with breakfast and it was worth that all day long, at all times I felt very safe and the room and hotel was quiet and comfortable enough for me to enjoy my stay.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank miloup1979
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here overnight due to a relative's wedding being held close by. My brother walked in and saw his room and walked straight back out and went somewhere else that should tell you something. If it werent for the money and lack of availability at other places we would have followed him. We were greeted by 2 very scruffily dressed and unclean looking men who did not seem to know what they were doing considering they first led us to the wrong room. The men also smelled of body odour. The guest house also smelled of body odour and of general staleness. The men were not very welcoming and their attitudes not particularly pleasant which made me think they were in the wrong job.
The floor was very creaky and the place was poorly lit. The decor consisted of very shabby, seriously outdated and mismatched furnishings. The wallpaper was comming off the walls in places and there were cracks in the walls and ceilings that had been messily filled in... some of them anyway. The toilet and shower area was very small and again shabby looking and the shower did not work properly.
My bedroom consisted of shabby, worn and mismatched furniture. The curtains wouldnt close and nearly came off the rail when i did try and close them. My bedroom sink consisted of taps that were that loose they nearly came off in my hands. The bed was uncomfortable and lumpy. i could feel the springs going mad whenever i moved on it. There was an opportunity to make myself a drink in the room but it tasted too stale and the milk was off.
Breakfast was no better. The chef looked like he hadnt seen soap or water in a long time along with his clothes. The breakfast was help yourself to what had been put out and the option of a cooked breakfast. I stuck to a glass of orange juice as the milk was not very fresh again and from what i glimpsed of the kitchen i thought it the safer option.
Myself and the others i was with couldnt get out there fast enough and if anyone says they would go there again then they are quite mad and obviously dont care about cleanliness or hygiene as it is a dismal place with poor facilities. Trust me i would not recommend this place at all and if u do stay there then i wish u the best of luck as i am sure u will need it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Starangel2012

Travelers are raving about these Llanelli hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

well what can i say, i booked me and my family into the southmead hotel, as my niece was getting married in llanelli, we arrived to be greeted my a man in dirty clothes, who didn,t smell to sweet, infact the guest house didn,t smell too sweet. The rooms needed a good update, the onsuite was so small you couldn,t move, and there was no toilet paper, i sent my husband to ask for some, and he came back with kitchen roll, they said that they didn,t have any toilet paper,(great), when we went to close the curtains at bed time, they came straight off the wall,but on a positive note, the beds were reasonable comfortable(,although i do think that the intake of alchol helped) next morning, i went to make myself a cup of tea with the kettle provided, and as i opened the little milks to pour in, i realized that they were off,(god knows how long they had been there) this maded me feel sick, We had to take freezeing cold showers, as the shower didn,t work properly, in fact very little water came out of the shower at all, The full English breakfast was just average, but i was abit apprehensive about eating it, when i saw the state of the chief,he looked like he needed a good wash, he had no people skills, and i think that he should learn to smile,(one hell of a miserable bloke). my overall review on the place is simply disguisting, i wouldn,t recommend, although it did give my family something to take the micky about. a

Room Tip: Make sure you read the trip advisor reviews before you book
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was a little nervous after reading the reviews, but there was no reason to be. If I'm ever back in the part of Wales, I'd definitely return - for that price, can't be beat.

Ok, so not the most glamourous of places and certainly the most stylish, but the bed was comfortable, every thing looked clean and had no problems with carrying sound even with my windows open and such. My room was a little small, but as a solo traveller used to crowded hostels this was plenty good for me!

Location is great - 10min walk from the train station, less than 5min into town.

Can't comment on the breakfast - I was out and about at 6am all three mornings I was there, so didn't try it out. Every time I was in the kitchen area though, staff were eager to give me coffee or tea though. Nice to have the kettle in my room too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo