All reviewssteam roomlarge bathroomafternoon teasirloin steakcourse mealsaturday nightfriendly hotelboth nightswedding venuecooked breakfastcouldn't do enoughplenty of parkingcar parkstayed for one nightsheldonfelinfoelgrumble
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Very good service and staff wer excellent. Couldn't fault it. Food was excellent - the carvery option.

Catering for about 40 people and the room was capable.

Decent selection of drinks at the bar.

The only thing that was a slight let down is the building itself is a little in need of a TLC - some chairs looked faded and sa lick of paint would go a long way.

Nevertheless, the staff were friendly and helpful, so it didn't detract from the event.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2018

My room was okay, I stayed in the "new wing" and it was your average room and seemed clean. However I didn't have any towels or shampoos on either of my nights. The two gentlemen behind the bar sorted that out for me.

I was dissapointed to find out that their cooling system was broken which meant that nothing on draught was cold.

The food was quite nice but not what I expected at all from a hotel that prides itself on its dining. There was a tourist group that took up about 5 or 6 tables between two waitresses. The one polish waitress was frazzled and kept disappearing, one could clearly see that she could not cope. The other waitress, Jaden I think her name was, stayed calm and friendly amd knew how to handle her customers. On or second night, we ate at the bar because the group was too loud and though it be best to get a bar meal and we were greeted by a friendly, helpful and warm bartender named Gareth, we had a good chat and we ordered our food, drinks and dessert with him. The service was quick and painless and we had a good chat about what to do and see around Wales!

I did a review prior to this one which seemed rather harsh as I was still annoyed by the issues with our room, the key not working and the warm drinks. However we probably did arrive at the wrong time and any other time, I reckon we would have had fewer complaints. I do think they need to train the other waitress a bit more and they should change those awful, dated and ruddy red carpets. Other than that 6/10. A big thank you to Jaden, Gareth and Gaving for making our stay that much better.

Regards, Brian

P.S
my review titled "reasonably disgusted" was me overreacting a bit. But I did have some point that could be worth looking into

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Brianjameson1130
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

We hired out a room for our group of 32 people. Some of the white table cloths were dirty, the roof was leaking, a solid cake knife was left over from the last function, black covered chairs with holes in the fabric and a child's sweet left on the floor. Luckily we arrived an hour early and we sorted these issues out.

All really basic stuff that should have been sorted out.

The bar ran out of strong bow cider and several other drinks.

On the up side the cost of the food and drink was just about right. The service at the carvery was good as the staff member was doing a good job. Also whoever was the receptionist was was friendly, polite and more than willing to help.

Mistakes like the ones above should never have happened. They had more than enough notice to make sure of even a basic standard of service. Who ever was responsible for this I would of given their last written warning for gross misconduct.

This hotel has a lot of potential yet to be realised.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

If I had booked for any longer than one night, I would be severely disappointed, seriously. Does not look like the pictures.

Staff give the impression that they cannot be bothered whatsoever. No bottled still water available to buy at the bar! Room dated and drab.
Paid for myself, partner and 7 year old daughter to stay for one night. My daughters bed was a fold out brown old camp bed (what the hell?). Room was on a scale of 1-10 about a 4.5 on cleanliness.

You can hear everything through thin walls - trying to sleep can hear next doors television blasting - beds uncomfortable - both of us woke up with a stiff back

One packet of biscuits containing two inside for a family of 3 - Milk sachets we’re sour, so could not make a complimentary coffee in the morning - my partner went down to the bar to purchase two coffees around 9.30am - he was told the milk was sour and there was no more milk. You can have it black - is this acceptable ? We do not drink our coffee black sorry - and what kind of establishment has no milk at breakfast time - run out to the shop or is this too much hassle for them? Disgusting.

Not only that - I was told they would price match at £89 when I came to pay it was £99 for this sorry excuse of a hotel without breakfast and the management left my complaints to the poor receptionist - not once did the management (who was sat behind a glass office behind reception) not once did they come out with a valid explanation or apology -

Whoever is giving this hotel excellent ratings I would ask where have you stayed previously because this place is a dump with godawful customer service it is just not acceptable! Highly do NOT recommend
Wish I took some pictures of the shabby place.
Only a pic of the scruffy excuse of a bed for my daughter

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank sarahdavies89
Reviewed July 26, 2018

Today I was the first to have the new menu. The Ham Hock was good, the Duck breast superb. Well done chef and thanks for a great meal. The hotel is good, comfortable and staff friendly. Excellent value for money

Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo