“Tired”

Best Western Diplomat Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Slightly odd location on a slope behind houses, giving a commanding view of their back gardens. The photos I had seen looked like it would be recently modernised to a high standard , but inside it was a bit of a let down, with tired decor and oddly laid out with two receptions (one being at the bar). Photos of the pool look good, but as there was a wedding on, there was no space in the restaurant, so instead of going for a swim, I went into Llanelli for food and never made it to the pool during my stay ( I would have gone in the morning, but after failing to find breakfast and no one around, didn't find the way to the pool either). Not terrible for the price, but not what it looked like in the photos

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I saw the advert for the "no excuses" wedding package in a magazine whilst on a family holiday earlier this year. When I came back I discussed it with my boyfriend and we decided to book for October 13. We had been engaged for 3 years and both felt now was the time. But we also wanted a small do and to have it done not long after booking.

So I called Georgina who helped me arrange everything. I didn’t have time to go to the hotel between booking and the actual wedding due to work constraints, so we had to do everything remotely form Yorkshire. I'd also never stayed at the hotel. I'd just seen the website and pictures in the magazine.

When we finally made the trip down, a mere 7 months after booking, I was naturally nervous about how the hotel was going to be. Some people had put up less than positive reviews a couple of weeks before we travelled.

I found these reviews to be completely unfounded.

Mr Jenkins who part owns the hotel and is in charge of the weddings met me on arrival. We then sat down with all our family who had come down for the wedding and went through the final details.

My every wish was granted, not a thing was too much hassle for them.

I was then introduced to Sheldon, the duty manager; he settled any last remaining nerves by listening to my wishes on how the day would run. I could tell immediately that I could trust him with the most important day of my life. He ran the day with military precision.

We stayed in the newly renovated part of the building. It was clean and nicely presented. No too fussy and not soul-less like a chain hotel. The day before the wedding I didn’t sleep which I assume is natural for most brides, but when the day was done I slept wonderfully. There were no mystery noises to keep me awake and the rooms were lovely and warm. The king size bed in the bridal suit was comfy and the pillows were good too.

The breakfast was nice, again not too fancy, but well cooked and tasty.

I enjoyed every moment of my day. I expected it to be stress filled like most weddings and therefore expected it to go by in a blur that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy so much. However having the friendly, professional and trustworthy staff of the diplomat to support me I could enjoy every moment.

It was truly the best day of my life. The wedding of my dreams.

Room Tip: I didnt use the spa, but it looked clean when i looked around on arrival. We had rooms in the &qu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We recently held our Annual Dinner Dance and Prize Presentation at The Diplomat. The evening was a great success, the room looked beautiful and and the lovely christmas decorations throughout the hotel added to the ambience. We had a three course meal, and every course was delicious, the soup was obviously home-made with really fresh bread rolls, the chicken main course was tender and full of flavour and the vegetables were just right, not al- dente but not soggy either. The profiteroles were the lightest I've ever had and the berries served with them really made the dish special. The service throughout was fantastic, we were 120 people but everyone was served promptly by friendly and attentive staff. Jugs of iced water were also provided on each table.A big thank-you to Sheldon, who visited each table to check everything was just right, Every request we had was met, from providing a pa system, presentation tables and projecter and screen. We have visited many venues during the past few years for our event, but we have now found the perfect venue and hope to use The Diplomat for many years to come.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We also picked this hotel with living social deal.
Started the day with the spa and treatment. Spa is clean, they looked after us with complimentary drinks. Good sauna and steam room. Pool not big but good size for size of facility. Jacuzzi was great. Both had treatments, supposed to be half hour each but one was just over 20mins and other 25mins. Massages were ok, have had better but what we paid through deal we can't complain. So we would give this part 3/5
Checked into room, we were on first floor. Room very clean and great size. Had everything we needed and expected. Bed lovely and comfy.
Had our 3 course meal, we'll this was fantastic. Good choice off the menu. Food of a very high standard and would definitely eat here again. Only grumble was starter took 40mins to arrive. But we over looked that as rest of service was of a high class and they looked after us with a personal touch. 5/5
Visit at this hotel was going very well until the most important part of a stay at a hotel is the sleep. Our room was on the first floor. Which is just above the bar area. We tried going to sleep but the noise from the ground floor was unbelievable. Noise of people from the bar area. we phoned reception at 1:30am and asked them can they keep the noise down. Nothing changed, phoned down again at 2am and still nothing. Then again about 2:30 and still nothing. We eventually got to sleep about 3:30 when all noise calmed down. If we hadn't had a couple of drinks earlier we would have packed our stuff and driven to the travelodge for a peaceful sleep.
Then you have to be up by 9am to have breakfast before they stop serving. So we had very little sleep and ruined the next day.
Breakfast was ok, not as good quality of food as the dinner from the night before.
We asked to speak to manager after breakfast and told receptionist about our stay. to be told she should be here soon. We said we'll go shower and check out and speak to the manager then.
Came back to check out and told manager on way. Waited 10mins and no manger. So we left as probably to busy to speak. Not great customer service.
So overall, would we stay there again. Probably not. If we on a different floor maybe. But I wouldn't pay to find out. This was potentially going to be a great stay and review.
But the sleep is the most important part of a night stay. Felt let down by customer service.
I would not have paid full price for this stay

Room Tip: Don't book room on first floor!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Lovely hotel and Spa. Booked a special offer for Dinner B & B and we were not disappointed. Lovely afternoon in the spa, including massage for two, and then watched the match in the bar. Dinner was lovely with the quality of food really very good. The restaurant manager and waiting staff were friendly, fast and efficient. Rooms were well appointed comfy and warm.

Room Tip: We had a room in the old house close to the spa which was handy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed overnight at The Diplomat instead of the mother-in-laws as it was a special occasion, my birthday. Last time we stayed here was 27 years ago, when we held our Engagement party!! The hotel has been extended and modernised since then, yet still retains its small personal charm.

My daughter and I had a few hours in the spa, peaceful until the private swimming lessons started, so that spoiled our time a little.

Our room was fabulous, plenty of room, large bathroom and very comfortable beds.

Dinner in the restaurant was amazing. Chef Wendy bent over backwards for us, prepared a selection of mixed starters, and came out of the kitchen to ensure that our meals were ok, and they were!

Hubby & I had the most delicious Welsh rump steak, dauphinoise potatoes and veg, finished off by home made desserts.

I really felt spoiled on my Birthday, and will go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the front car park and gardens, in the new wing. They seem to be very spacio...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel is really beautiful and very relaxing with beautiful views at the front, from various balconies, as it's set on the hillside. The restaurant is luxurious with excellent service and fantastic menu and breakfast has such a wide choice to cater for everyone! The spa made the weekend so relaxing with it's pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and gym and the shoulder, neck and back massage was just perfect with complimentary jug of iced water supplied! The room was large and spacious like a penthouse suite at the front of the Hotel! If you love good service with genuinely friendly staff in a Hotel with warmth and character and not asking for' over-the-top' prices you will love this hotel! Can't wait to come back! Hopefully for one of their special entertainment nights!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24 which was just perfect! They can even cater for you if you want to go away with...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanelli
Stradey Park Hotel & Spa
Three Rivers Hotel
Three Rivers Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferryside
Travelodge Llanelli Cross Hands

Been to Best Western Diplomat Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!