“Overall a good vacation. Not for the picky person.Stayed Mar 24-31”

Brisas Covarrubias Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I told my husband before we left, that we like camping. So if it's better then that we could be happy. We were going for the sand, sun, and the ocean. The beach is beautiful. The sun was hot, except for a few days were it was overcast. But I used that for some relaxing time and a lot of reading. The balcony was great for reading. The resort has hit and miss. If you could over look things you could have a wonderful vacation.

The bus ride was 2 hours.If you arrive in the day it was a beautiful ride. Lots to see on the way. The check in was horrible. 1 person checking in 2 bus loads of people. We were lucky that we were the second people in line, but it still took forever. And then we still didnt get our rooms for 3 hours. We had our kids with us and they were going to give us rooms on different floors. Our kids are 15 and 6 so that didnt fly with us. My husband had to fight with them for a half hour to get rooms beside each other. we didnt get adjoining rooms but at least the kids were beside us. After all that we were on our way to the rooms and a couple women told us don't be surprised when you get in that there is no water. So when we got in there was no water. We were like" great". But I said it's still better then camping. The rooms are really nice and big and clean. Really nice balconies. A couple things could be fixed in the rooms but for the most part they were really nice. I WOULD SAY BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS. Theres are really lumpy.

The food was the best I have had in Cuba. The buffet was great. A little repetitive. But it was alway great and I didnt hear of anyone getting sick. The 24 hour snack bar at the beach had the best meals at lunch. From 12 - 2:30 they served a sit down lunch. The fish and chicken was so good. Loved the rice with veggies and the chicken soup. The A la carte was horrible. We had the seafood and it was gross. The fish wasn't cooked, the lobster was like rubber. Heard the chicken was good. But after our dinner we all went to the buffet for a real dinner. Everyone I talked to the went to the A la carte hated it. Oh and if you didnt want to spend time waiting in lines for dinner at the buffet get there early. For breasfast we were there at 7:30 and dinner at 6:30. There were no lines.

The drinks were good. The bartenders were really nice. BUT IF YOU HAVE KIDS WATCH WHAT THEY ARE DRINKING. Make sure the are only getting juice.The grenadine the is 26% alcohol. So no sherly temples. We found that out after the little kids had been drinking a few of them. The disco was good. Beautiful spot for it on the water. And a nice walk back to your room on the beach.

The pools were nice. We didnt spend time there really cause the beach was so nice. If you want to get a spot at the pool or beach you will want to get up early, cause the spots went fast. The water was beauitful. We went out snorkeling. The catamaran will take you out to a good spot to snorkel. And it doesn't cost you anything. Make sure you wear lots of sunscreen. Even with 60 you will burn. Beautiful sunset :)

If you go for a walk. Go out the front of the hotel. Go to our right and head to the road. Once at the road go to your left. That takes you to the beach. At the beach walk to your left and you can follow it back to the resort. There are lots of shells to be found there. And at the bridge before the beach there are round things that look like lilly pad but if you get something to flip them over I was told the are jellyfish.

The shows were pretty good. The kids had fun. When they had the kids part of the night. The activity part of the resort for the kids didnt seem to exist. But our kids were so busy at the beach it didnt matter.

The bugs were really bad. The sand fleas were crazy. Bring spray and cream to put on your bites. Cause you will get them.

But overall. We all had a great vacation. Most relaxing one yet. Thank you to all the staff. They all did a wonderful job. And the gardeners were really nice. For the right price I would go back again.

3  Thank Nicol D
There are newer reviews for Brisas Covarrubias Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2013

There are many pro's to this Hotel 1-beach 2- views from rooms 3-food was always edible and usualy pleanty to choose from unless you waited to long. 4- excellent staff trying to work under trying circumstances.
Cons 1. during our stay the lack of running fresh water was terrible sometimes only 2hrs a day public bathrooms skanky with sewage from overflowing toilets people urinating in sinks was told we would have water @ 4am our last day as checking out @ 6 no water when we left our room so no shower again this hotel would be shut down in most countries due to the health concerns this causes, how do you clean without water. 2- lack of enough staff swim up bar never attended as only one steward @ pool bar trying to do his best. 3- beds worn out need replacing
Would love to try this hotel again if water could be working properly can live with just about anything but not this, its only a matter of time until someone gets violently sick. Hotel could be a gem if this was corrected.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the ocean corner unit better balconey
2  Thank lendawson
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Cons: water being off for a few hours per day; dying volcanic reefs with limited marine life; aging infrastructure;
Pros: beautiful wild beach and complete privacy; no other resorts around; safe; organic local food; great room cleaning staff;

we were family of seven and going here was a bargain. We knew exactly what we are getting: a 3 star resort for the right price. If we paid $500 + tax per person, we would be upset and disappointed, but it was great for what we paid.

Room Tip: >Don't expect to have 5 star service etc. from a 3 star resort! >A full body good quality...
2  Thank VladOntario
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After carefully reading the reviews I did not know what to expect so here you have my honest review. Two reasons that I won’t return to this resort:
1- Water…This resort does not have running water. They do fill the tanks and only have water from 12PM to 2:30 and 5 pm till 8:30 PM. If you really care about hygiene and water this resort is not for you….I got into the shower the first day and got stuck there with shampoo all over me….No one told us about water shortage. Please if you are planning to go take this into consideration… I have been in Cuba many times and I do not except 3.5 star treatments (based on the rating) but water is a very important thing that made me not to return to this resort.
2- Mosquitoes……We bought with us repellent and even with that I got over 50 bites. Very uncomfortable for vacation. The resort should spray more often and specially by the beach….

Other cons: Long waiting lines for the buffet, Smelly rooms…

This resort was fully booked for the week which made the conditions even worse.

3  Thank gerta0107
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We loved our stay here at Covarrubias! Yes there was water issues. The water would stop working from about 10am- 530ish pm. This wasnt a concern for us as we were always out of our room. What we did after the first day was filled up our garbage can first thing in the morning, just for flushing if we did happen to have to go back to the room throughout the day. There was plenty of food. We were never hungry! We did chose the VIP and we liked the extras that you get with it. The view from our room was spectacular with a close walk to the beach. It was always super clean. The house keeping staff works extremely hard. If you are wanting to bring gifts for them, we asked the ladies what they would like us to bring the next time we came, they replied clothes of all sizes for both genders and shoes. However they were very appreciative for anything that was given to them. One thing I would like to mention is the hard work of the yard keepers. These men work extremely hard in the heat all day. If you bring gifts please think of these men. They can use boots, hats, clothes, work gloves and mosquito spray!! The beach is beautiful. Definitely try the snorkeling off the motor boat. Flavio(who by the way looks like a young Mathew Macconaughey) was our life guard and took us out to a great spot amongst the corral. Stunning!!! Although we didn't bring our children with us this time, we will bring them with us on our next trip. They have tonnes of activities for the kids to do and are very family oriented. Now to talk about the staff.Amazing people! We always felt so welcomed. From our wonderful waiters(Pedro) and waitresses, our house keeper Tanzania who left us beautiful art work made out of towels and blankets. The souvenir booth workers(Martica and Alejandro) gave us many laughs. Ilanna and Elizabeth for being so kind. And our new friend Eduardo(yard man). There was many more who made our trip worthwhile. The entertainment was wonderful. Origen and Kereya(amazing) were the bands. Loved them both so much I bought their cd's.Bring Deep Woods Off bug spray. It keeps the mosquitos away.Regular Off doesn't cut it. Also use the highest SPF you cant get, because even applying spf 60 a few times a day we still burned. Basically, we without a doubt loved this place. Brisas Covarrubias, see you next year!!!

4  Thank Alexis V
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My 5 year old daughter and I just returned from brisas Covarrubias and what can I say? It was simply a great experience. Firstly, I would like to say that if you are high maintenance, this hotel is not for you, but if you want a simple vacation, a beautiful beach, wonderful staff and an amazing time, this is your place.

We started our trip with a two hour bus ride to the hotel from the airport. What can I say, it was a very comfortable ride in an air conditioned bus, but the unpaved roads made me car sick, something that I had never experienced before. Upon arrival (12:30 am) there was only one person at the reception to great us, which was a little annoying, but that's ok.

We were sent to room 5314, which is great. Yes, the walls need a paint job, yes the front door is cracked a little around, but the beds were comfy and the room was kept clean. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean and a beautiful balcony.

As I said before, the beach is beautiful, not very wavy so great for kids, the beach chairs on the beach, unless you are willing to wake up at 7 am to reserve your hut with chairs you might have trouble getting some shade.

The food was ok, but we all know that Cuba is Cuba and if you are not picky, you will always find something to eat. The make fresh omelets in the mornings, French toast, pancakes and fruit. For lunch and supper, the have a pasta station, and they offer an ok variety.

The pool area was great. My daughter loved it, they have a shallow end for the kids which is greAt.

Entertainment, I can't really judge , trying to keep a five year old up for show time is almost impossible. We saw the beach show one night which was good, and I actually pulled off bringing my daughter to the disco which was fun also.

The staff here was great, a bid shout out to Lien from the mini club, she is great with kids and she has such a great personality and her big heart. I really enjoyed talking to her and understanding more about Cuban life.

Also, the towel lady is great. She remembers names and is really nice.

Negatives: not many but....

The pool bar is VERY slippery, I saw many people take complete wipe outs, so be extremely careful.

Mosquitos, they fumigate almost every night at the hotel but that didn't help me, I brought mosquito repellent with 30 percent deet and still got eaten alive, I have about 40 mosquito bites, but my daughter only got two.

On our first night, I went back into the room only to find some sort of huge Beatle or insect looking up at me. My first instinct was to scream and jump on the bed ( which my daughter did) but then I remembered that I was the only adult in the room, so I took a can of mosquito repellent ( that I used to spray on myself) and started spraying it, when it got a little drowsy , I killed it and flushed it, yuck , disgusting.

Water: the water iis shut off between 12:30 and 5:30 so u cannot shower between those times which was fine for us because we were by the pool. Note, when the water comes back at 5:30, wait 15 extra minutes and then u will get hot water.

All in all, this experience was great, we loved it and we would return tomorrow.

Gracias a todos nos amigos a hotel Covarrubias.

Room Tip: Choose room 5314, was great
6  Thank P G
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at this hotel and let me tell you, STAY away! The beach is about the only good thing. The room was big but, things in it were broken and by the time they even cared about it, my trip was already over. The staff had some friendly employees and some that just didn't care - until my fiancé started speaking Spanish to which right away you saw their personality change. (And sorry but I didn't like to depend on my fiancé to get a simple drink). Also, when speaking to other tourists, I was happy we did not attend the A La Carte... seems like many people got sick. I have been to Cuba many times (Varadero) and never have I seen so many people in the Dr's office - shows something just wasn't "right." Anyways, I know the price is amazing, and I know the beach looks great but if I would have to do it again, I wouldn't. And speaking from experience, if you don't want to have rude employees (Ileana- public relations - never call someone evil but oh boy was she ever!) or you do not want to get sick and hear everyone say "it is the drinking" meanwhile we are Muslim and cannot drink, I would say spend some more money and find a much better place - Happy traveling!

2  Thank Anonymous1407
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Padre
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
#1 of 3 in Guardalavaca

Been to Brisas Covarrubias Hotel? Share your experiences!