“IF ONLY THEY HAD WATER”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
toronto
“IF ONLY THEY HAD WATER”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

There are many pro's to this Hotel 1-beach 2- views from rooms 3-food was always edible and usualy pleanty to choose from unless you waited to long. 4- excellent staff trying to work under trying circumstances.
Cons 1. during our stay the lack of running fresh water was terrible sometimes only 2hrs a day public bathrooms skanky with sewage from overflowing toilets people urinating in sinks was told we would have water @ 4am our last day as checking out @ 6 no water when we left our room so no shower again this hotel would be shut down in most countries due to the health concerns this causes, how do you clean without water. 2- lack of enough staff swim up bar never attended as only one steward @ pool bar trying to do his best. 3- beds worn out need replacing
Would love to try this hotel again if water could be working properly can live with just about anything but not this, its only a matter of time until someone gets violently sick. Hotel could be a gem if this was corrected.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the ocean corner unit better balconey
2 Thank lendawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Ontario
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Cons: water being off for a few hours per day; dying volcanic reefs with limited marine life; aging infrastructure;
Pros: beautiful wild beach and complete privacy; no other resorts around; safe; organic local food; great room cleaning staff;

we were family of seven and going here was a bargain. We knew exactly what we are getting: a 3 star resort for the right price. If we paid $500 + tax per person, we would be upset and disappointed, but it was great for what we paid.

Room Tip: >Don't expect to have 5 star service etc. from a 3 star resort! >A full body good quality...
2 Thank VladOntario
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After carefully reading the reviews I did not know what to expect so here you have my honest review. Two reasons that I won’t return to this resort:
1- Water…This resort does not have running water. They do fill the tanks and only have water from 12PM to 2:30 and 5 pm till 8:30 PM. If you really care about hygiene and water this resort is not for you….I got into the shower the first day and got stuck there with shampoo all over me….No one told us about water shortage. Please if you are planning to go take this into consideration… I have been in Cuba many times and I do not except 3.5 star treatments (based on the rating) but water is a very important thing that made me not to return to this resort.
2- Mosquitoes……We bought with us repellent and even with that I got over 50 bites. Very uncomfortable for vacation. The resort should spray more often and specially by the beach….

Other cons: Long waiting lines for the buffet, Smelly rooms…

This resort was fully booked for the week which made the conditions even worse.

3 Thank gerta0107

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Padre hotels

Fisher Branch, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We loved our stay here at Covarrubias! Yes there was water issues. The water would stop working from about 10am- 530ish pm. This wasnt a concern for us as we were always out of our room. What we did after the first day was filled up our garbage can first thing in the morning, just for flushing if we did happen to have to go back to the room throughout the day. There was plenty of food. We were never hungry! We did chose the VIP and we liked the extras that you get with it. The view from our room was spectacular with a close walk to the beach. It was always super clean. The house keeping staff works extremely hard. If you are wanting to bring gifts for them, we asked the ladies what they would like us to bring the next time we came, they replied clothes of all sizes for both genders and shoes. However they were very appreciative for anything that was given to them. One thing I would like to mention is the hard work of the yard keepers. These men work extremely hard in the heat all day. If you bring gifts please think of these men. They can use boots, hats, clothes, work gloves and mosquito spray!! The beach is beautiful. Definitely try the snorkeling off the motor boat. Flavio(who by the way looks like a young Mathew Macconaughey) was our life guard and took us out to a great spot amongst the corral. Stunning!!! Although we didn't bring our children with us this time, we will bring them with us on our next trip. They have tonnes of activities for the kids to do and are very family oriented. Now to talk about the staff.Amazing people! We always felt so welcomed. From our wonderful waiters(Pedro) and waitresses, our house keeper Tanzania who left us beautiful art work made out of towels and blankets. The souvenir booth workers(Martica and Alejandro) gave us many laughs. Ilanna and Elizabeth for being so kind. And our new friend Eduardo(yard man). There was many more who made our trip worthwhile. The entertainment was wonderful. Origen and Kereya(amazing) were the bands. Loved them both so much I bought their cd's.Bring Deep Woods Off bug spray. It keeps the mosquitos away.Regular Off doesn't cut it. Also use the highest SPF you cant get, because even applying spf 60 a few times a day we still burned. Basically, we without a doubt loved this place. Brisas Covarrubias, see you next year!!!

4 Thank Alexis V
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My 5 year old daughter and I just returned from brisas Covarrubias and what can I say? It was simply a great experience. Firstly, I would like to say that if you are high maintenance, this hotel is not for you, but if you want a simple vacation, a beautiful beach, wonderful staff and an amazing time, this is your place.

We started our trip with a two hour bus ride to the hotel from the airport. What can I say, it was a very comfortable ride in an air conditioned bus, but the unpaved roads made me car sick, something that I had never experienced before. Upon arrival (12:30 am) there was only one person at the reception to great us, which was a little annoying, but that's ok.

We were sent to room 5314, which is great. Yes, the walls need a paint job, yes the front door is cracked a little around, but the beds were comfy and the room was kept clean. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean and a beautiful balcony.

As I said before, the beach is beautiful, not very wavy so great for kids, the beach chairs on the beach, unless you are willing to wake up at 7 am to reserve your hut with chairs you might have trouble getting some shade.

The food was ok, but we all know that Cuba is Cuba and if you are not picky, you will always find something to eat. The make fresh omelets in the mornings, French toast, pancakes and fruit. For lunch and supper, the have a pasta station, and they offer an ok variety.

The pool area was great. My daughter loved it, they have a shallow end for the kids which is greAt.

Entertainment, I can't really judge , trying to keep a five year old up for show time is almost impossible. We saw the beach show one night which was good, and I actually pulled off bringing my daughter to the disco which was fun also.

The staff here was great, a bid shout out to Lien from the mini club, she is great with kids and she has such a great personality and her big heart. I really enjoyed talking to her and understanding more about Cuban life.

Also, the towel lady is great. She remembers names and is really nice.

Negatives: not many but....

The pool bar is VERY slippery, I saw many people take complete wipe outs, so be extremely careful.

Mosquitos, they fumigate almost every night at the hotel but that didn't help me, I brought mosquito repellent with 30 percent deet and still got eaten alive, I have about 40 mosquito bites, but my daughter only got two.

On our first night, I went back into the room only to find some sort of huge Beatle or insect looking up at me. My first instinct was to scream and jump on the bed ( which my daughter did) but then I remembered that I was the only adult in the room, so I took a can of mosquito repellent ( that I used to spray on myself) and started spraying it, when it got a little drowsy , I killed it and flushed it, yuck , disgusting.

Water: the water iis shut off between 12:30 and 5:30 so u cannot shower between those times which was fine for us because we were by the pool. Note, when the water comes back at 5:30, wait 15 extra minutes and then u will get hot water.

All in all, this experience was great, we loved it and we would return tomorrow.

Gracias a todos nos amigos a hotel Covarrubias.

Room Tip: Choose room 5314, was great
6 Thank P G
Woodbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at this hotel and let me tell you, STAY away! The beach is about the only good thing. The room was big but, things in it were broken and by the time they even cared about it, my trip was already over. The staff had some friendly employees and some that just didn't care - until my fiancé started speaking Spanish to which right away you saw their personality change. (And sorry but I didn't like to depend on my fiancé to get a simple drink). Also, when speaking to other tourists, I was happy we did not attend the A La Carte... seems like many people got sick. I have been to Cuba many times (Varadero) and never have I seen so many people in the Dr's office - shows something just wasn't "right." Anyways, I know the price is amazing, and I know the beach looks great but if I would have to do it again, I wouldn't. And speaking from experience, if you don't want to have rude employees (Ileana- public relations - never call someone evil but oh boy was she ever!) or you do not want to get sick and hear everyone say "it is the drinking" meanwhile we are Muslim and cannot drink, I would say spend some more money and find a much better place - Happy traveling!

2 Thank Anonymous1407
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went to the Brisas for March Break with family and friends. We have been here before and chose to return for the two reasons listed in the title. We just fell in love with the staff and the beach. We decided that the little things were not going to be deal breakers for us, but we understand that they might be for some. Bus ride is a couple of hours - we had a rather fast drive back to the airport - different driver, crazy fast - too fast. The country side is lovely to see and the poverty and resilience of the Cuban people confounding. I don't think we can really understand how they persevere under such conditions. That said, Cuban roads could not manage if everyone had a car, and the electrical system would implode if everyone had the appliances and electrical gadgets they might like to have. The water at the resort is certainly an issue, don't know whether it would help if people conserved. The physical state of the resort is fair and apparently some renovations are on the horizon. I do think they should fix the sidewalks with proper cement - not just a bit mixed in a bucket but do the job properly. If a client falls they could have a big problem. The decking at the beach bar is approaching dangerous - repairs to this part of the resort is a must before someone goes through the deck. Also, I would love to see the drains irrigated so the water in the shower actually runs down the drain rather than gathering around your feet - again not a deal breaker. My third issue would be service at the poolside bar. The service is wonderful, but they need to serve people IN the pool because when they don't, wet people come around to the bar, drip on the tile floor and the floor becomes deadly slippery. A lady slipped and landed on her hand - it was black and blue for the week unfortunately. I would say since our last visit, I did see some changes - better care of the vegetation, trimming hedges, new plantings, and a new little bar. We liked the food - I think only one night it was challenging to find something - we were never hungry, in fact the opposite. Our room was clean, clean. We tipped our lady a couple of pesos a day and had a chat - we missed a day and gave her double the next which she appreciated - she changed our sheets, cleaned the toilet every day, swept and made us beautiful birds with tree flowers like a peacock spray for hair - very cute. The entertainment was alright. We loved the band - Kyrea? They were awesome. The rest was very loud and only served to keep us awake when we were ready to sleep ... Chairs at the beach are saggy and not particularly comfortable - noticed some new ones by the pool so hopefully beach will get some new ones or be restrung as well. But the beach ... is perfect. The staff rake and rake each day. We went on an excursion to Puertp Padre. Would have liked to see more cultural spots. Govt stores were sincere but nothing to buy really. Most use Cuban pesos which we didn't have. Bus ride was a little crazy with a speedster at the wheel! Lunch included was alright - plain, good, microscopic dessert and beer was cold. I would say that the reviews both pos. and neg. of this resort are accurate. The big plus for this resort is the staff. Most of the staff are so personable and helpful. They will do what is within their means for you. If you smile you will always get double in return, language barrier or not. I love the staff here - love them. I feel like I'm going to the cottage when I go here - not all amenties always work, but the company is great, the ocean and sand are warm and you will be treated kindly by the staff. We certainly do hope to return to the Brisas and the beautiful, gracious people who made our holiday so special once again!

Room Tip: We've had lovely rooms both times to this resort. It's not a huge resort and the staff will...
5 Thank neigele
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Brisas Covarrubias Hotel? Share your experiences!