This is a place for travelers on a super-tight budget willing to put up with some discomfort in exchange for a gorgeous beach, quiet resort and friendly staff. Not the place for people who want to party.
Beach: Gorgeous white sand, turquoise water. Long enough for decent walks. Snorkeling off the beach is minimal but for 12 pesos, you can take a short boat ride from the beach to a beautiful reef with lots of fish. The beach is good for little kids...shallow water.
Location: Middle of nowhere. Two-hour bus ride from Holguin Airport. Great sight-seeing on this bus ride! You can arrange an excursion to Puerto Padre (45 minute bus/taxi ride). Some shopping and mingling with the locals--fun!
Snack bar at the beach: Comfy lounge chairs in this open-air, breezy bar right on the beach. Never a line-up for drinks and the pizza and fries were good, when available. Great ambiance here and wonderful staff. We never waited to get drinks and we didn't tip per drink.
Buffet: We were there in early December and the resort was half full. As a result, half the restaurant was closed and the buffet was kind of sparse. It perked up on the weekend when more people arrived. If you like a more energetic vibe or bigger selection of food, don't go Nov to third week of December.
There was always a pasta bar and fresh rolls and bread, beef stews, pork, chicken dishes depending on the night. Omelet bar in the morning was terrific. Papaya, oranges and other fruit always available. Cereals and juices.
Bars/ drinks: A couple of the bars are 24-hour. We never waited for service. Amazing cappucino and espressos at all the bars. Staff were pleasant and attentive.
Pool: Very clean. It's a salt-water pool so you will see the scattered tiny crab joining you for a swim :)
Rooms: The best we've had in Cuba so far (4th time). Clean, spacious bathroom, closet space, in-room safe ($15 extra per week), room cards always worked. The room was cleaned by noon every day. Comfy beds. TV had CNN and other channels. AC worked perfect.
Turbo mosquitos: The resort backs onto a swamp and in the early morning, and as soon as the sun got low, out came the armies of mosquitoes. We had to take cover in our room until just before dinner at 6:30. They fogged every night at 6:00 pm but then you'd have the diesel fumes so we stayed in our room til dinner. Not the place if you like outdoor cocktail hour. Never seen so many mosquitoes at a resort in Cuba. Long pants and socks helped.
Diarrhea and questionable sewage system: Out of eight of us, six got major diarrhea that still isn't gone after a week at home. The staff tell you to drink only bottled water at this resort, which we did. In our bathroom we sometimes smelled sewage, and in one of our rooms the toilet backed up. Not sure what's in that swamp next to the resort, but it smelled like raw sewage too, when you got near enough. There's an inlet from the beach to the swamp so the tide maybe carried some contaminants out to the swimming area.
Resort gift shop: Lots of inexpensive souvenirs, snacks, cookies, rum for $1.95(!), swimsuits, pampers, sunscreen, shampoo and the like. Good if you forget/ run out of stuff.
Internet: You pay for a few hours on a card and can use a computer set up in a little office. Very slow connection but adequate to check emails now and then.
Overall, the hot sunny weather, friendly staff and gorgeous beach made up for these hitches. We have good memories of our stay and took this stuff in stride.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brisas Covarrubias is a cozy and intimate beachfront resort located on a long, secluded beach of the same name on the north coast of the province of Las Tunas in Cuba. The soft powdery sand combined with shades of turquoise and blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean and surrounded by a coral reef makes Covarrubias beach one of the most impressive beaches in Cuba. Ideal place for diving, located in zone of impressive marine fauna. It has in all its areas of service internet connection wifi. Its rooms are characterized by a high standard of size, very comfortable that will make you feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Brisas Covarrubias Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Covarrubias Hotel Puerto Padre
- Resort All Inclusive Covarrubias
- Brisas Covarrubias Hotel Cuba/Puerto Padre