Me and members of my family stayed at hotel Brisas Covarrubias during the Christmas holidays. In all, twelve happy vacationers. No major complaints.
True, there wasn’t any running water sometimes and hot water was rationed other times. Hurricane Ike caused a lot of damage in 2008 et you can see still the results inside the rooms (mildew odors, doors askew or broken, etc.). The food they serve is quite ordinary. But in spite of these small inconveniences, I would go back there anytime. The hotel is secluded, and surrounded by lush vegetation. Perfect for relaxing, and enjoying the sea. You can take long walks on the beach. The sand is white, and the water is clear and turquoise. There are a lot of leisure activities offered: kayaking, catamaran sailing, apnea diving, etc.
During our stay, there were few tourists, so things were quiet, and we took advantage of the numerous services offered by the hotel with no waiting time. Shows in the evenings were for the most part entertaining. The club on the beach is a good place to loosen up come night.
The bar near the reception office is in my opinion were they mix the best drinks. They even serve them in real glasses sometimes. I recommend the piña colada. Delicious.
For Christmas supper, my dear uncles had the good idea to dine at Puerto Padre, the nearest town, a 30 minute ride. We ate at a place called Villa Odalis - Calle Cuba # 29, Puerto Padre, Las Tunas, mobile phone: 52841719 – the first privately owned restaurant in town, and its managed by a woman. The service was irreproachable and the food more than excellent. This restaurant is not part of the regular tourist circuit. It’s well worth the detour.
Making arrangements for getting there was however something. It took three days for the two hotel guides, Yvan and Luis, to arrange transportation to get us there. So it took some patience and determination. Of course, the hotel bus they booked to get us there “conveniently” broke down just before boarding. So we got three taxis to bring us there and back. No problema!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brisas Covarrubias is a cozy and intimate beachfront resort located on a long stretch of secluded beach with the same name in the north coast of Las Tunas province in Cuba. The soft powdery sand combined with hues of turquoise and blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean and surrounded by a coral reef makes the beach at Covarrubias one of the most breathtaking beaches in Cuba. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Covarrubias Hotel Puerto Padre
- Resort All Inclusive Covarrubias
- Brisas Covarrubias Hotel Cuba/Puerto Padre