Beach Hostel La Balconada
  • Room Service
$49
Hotel Portobello(La Paloma)
Hotel La Tuna(La Paloma)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
Priceline
Laguna Garzon Lodge(Jose Ignacio)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshigh seasonthe location is perfectlaid backthe room was nicethe kitchenhostelbeach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I arrived unexpected at the hostel in the middle of winter, hardly business months. No one was around, but I was discovered quickly enough by Fernando. Was checked in and made to feel right at home - in fact the entire place was mine. I stayed for 4 nights partly due to an ankle injury that prevented me from cycling and partly due to near hurricane winds that would have also stopped me going very far. It was just the place to be 'stranded'. A warm log fire never stopped going the entire time. I had free reign of the place and was able to get all my gear cleaned, bike serviced and myself mended before the next stretch of decent weather and some more cycling.

The manager, Santiago looked after me like a close friend. There were generally a few friends of his that would pop around most evenings and despite my lack of Spanish communication skills - everyone made an effort to communicate with me. Made inseparable friends with the hostels dog, Forlan who joined me on a very long walk to Laguna de Rocha and back.

Being winter, the rooms were very cold and did not have any form of heating. The odd light fitting had to be wiggled to get it working, but otherwise the hostel is in very good shape. The kitchen is a little on the small side when the place is packed with 45 people - but given that this only happens in Summer, I guess the much larger BBQ area and outside bar take care of the load.

There is only one computer for client use, but they have a very good broadband WiFi that reaches even the furthest rooms. Santiago went out of his way to have a very good, fresh breakfast for me every morning.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, would highly recommend to anyone coming to La Paloma. If you are a surfer, then even better - the brothers and their friends live for surfing and know the best venues intimately.

Room Tip: Bring a surfboard and come in Summer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Next to paying your cab from the bus station, the staff is always helpful, the beach is close and living room & kitchen are cleaned twice a day. Plus: fresh fruits for breakfast. Really enjoyed staying there!

Room Tip: Rooms to the kitchen can be noisy in the morning, 4 dorms are a little ls spacy than the 6 dorms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Spent 4 days here with my husband in a dorm and would have stayed longer if there'd been time.

The cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in - I swear the shares bathrooms were cleaned 4 times a day.

It was a 10 step walk to the beach and a great restaurant, and a 10 minute stroll into town.

Staff were helpful and spoke great English which is always a bonus, and the set up of the communal areas were such that you couldn't help but get to know everyone staying there.

Powerful showers, strong wifi and a well stocked kitchen tick all rhe boxes too. Can't recommend enough.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Loved this hostel from the moment we turned up and they paid for our taxi from the bus station. Staff are friendly and I've never seen such a clean hostel. The large, shared bathrooms were cleaned at least 3 times a day!!

Breakfast was all the fresh fruit you could eat along with fresh bread and jams and wifi was strong throughout the building.

Great communal areas both outside and upstairs and the kitchen was well equipped if a little small.

It's about 10 steps to the beach and a ten minute walk into town. The dorm was airy, clean and spacious with (helpful) individual lamps on each bunk.

Couldn't recommend enough.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 9, 2012

A nice hostel right on the beach (a sand dune prevents a sea viewbut it's basically still on the beach!)

Good vibe to the place and a nice lounge area upstairs. Our 4 person dorm was clean and nice enough.

The kitchen is full of flies but I noticed there are a lot of flies in the places we stayed everywhere in Uruguay! They definitely need one of those fly trap machines here though!

Staff really friendly and chilled out. They spoke good english and were helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012