“A MUST if you are in the area”

General Havelock Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2019

We were looking for somewhere to have lunch and what a gem we found in the General Havelock! As you walk through the door you receive a friendly welcome. Although we arrived quite late for lunch there was still a very good choice and the food was excellent value for money.
It is deceiving and stretches back to the river with outside seating available.
Will definitely call again

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Liz G

Reviewed March 30, 2019 via mobile

We booked ourselves in for a meal last night having found the restaurant on the tastecard website. We arrived 15 minutes early for our table at 7 to be told the chef wasn't here yet and offered a drink. It is very much a locals pub, with the bartender continuing to chat to the locals whilst serving us. After 15 minutes we were provided with menus though not shown to the dining room so we walked over ourselves. It's a small restaurant with only about 10 tables. It's very quaintly decorated. It was a different waitress in the restaurant and she seemed much more keen on friendly hospitality. Our order was quickly taken and bread and olives were provided as nibbles which was a nice touch. There was no music in the restaurant and as there were only 4 tables it did get awkwardly quiet at times and you could hear other diners conversations with ease. One couple who were seated did walk out before ordering, which I could understand as all in all it was a rather strange set up. Anyway, it took about 45 minutes for food to arrive. The portions were generous and tasty. With the tastecard the bill came to £20 for 2 mains and 2 drinks. Would we return again, probably not, even though the food was lovely based primarily on the atmosphere. I do feel that this place has lots of potential if front of house was a more friendly and approachable.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Chatterboxmegan
Reviewed February 10, 2019

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. I have dairy intolerance and they took time and effort to make sure my meal was suitable. The portions were good sized.
A good place to stop on the A69

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank cliff749
Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

Beautiful Sunday lunch , plentiful, vegetables cooked perfectly Warm friendly staff. Definitely recommend

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank Patricia R
Reviewed October 23, 2018 via mobile

I came across this little gem when working in the area last year. When we visited again I knew there was only one place we were going to eat. The pies are fantastic. Me and my dad both agreed their gravy is an absolute triumph! It's a real shame I was driving because the ale was that good I could have drank 10 pints. I'll be back again next year and we'll be visiting here for sure. The locals are spoilt with a place like this!

Date of visit: October 2018