“Evening meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Good food and excellent service in a very interesting building. It also has a very friendly pub bar.

1  Thank MargaretS1431

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

What a find!

As a person who really has to be in the mood for a roast dinner, The General Havelock changed my mind. We were after somewhere in the Hexham area, not too pricey, dog friendly, homemade and gluten free friendly and certainly found it here.

As other reviewers have already mentioned it is very old fashioned and certainly would not look out of place at Beamish. But don't let this put you off. The service was so friendly and there were several other parties with dogs in the bar (you can eat inn the restaurant section in the back if you don't want to be around dogs), but they were so accommodating and brought our two spaniels a bowl of water.

The Sunday lunch menu is small but there are vegetarian options and the staff were able to point out what was gluten free. There were around four choices of starters (£4.50 each), four mains (£10.50 each) and five desserts/cheeses (£4 each). My husband and I both picked the the crayfish cocktail starter and the roast lamb dinner. The crayfish cocktail was delicious and there was loads of crayfish in. Then the lamb dinner came and was absolutely delicious. I'd go as far to say the best roast I've had in a pub. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and the mashed potato out of this world. The chef made a GF gravey for me. My husband enjoyed a couple of real ales and I a couple of chardonnays. The bill came to £46.

The only issue some celiac customers may have but doesn't bother me is that the crayfish cocktail came with a piece of non GF baguette on the side and the dinner with a regular Yorkshire pudding. Both of these I just passed to my hubby. But if you are a very serious celiac sufferer I'd mention to the staff so they don't put anything like that on.

We'll definitely be returning with the kids for a family visit.

1  Thank LinzoMcG
Reviewed September 3, 2018

Had lunch here yesterday. This friendly establishment offers wonderful traditional English Fayre. No fancy names or ingredients - just excellent food served in beautiful garden surroundings (nice indoor seating area as well). Very good attentive service. Thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

If you don't read all the review, read this bit! Go And try this place it will be worth it!

Today whilst travelling home to Sunderland from Scotland, we really fancied a stop off at a real good old fashioned pub, with some home made pub grub. After a number of unsuccessful stops we called into the General Havelock Inn in Haydon Bridge. It's about 5 minutes outside of Hexham.
We walked through the main entrance from the front street into a small bar area which wouldn't look out of place in Beamish Museum, only 5 small tables with a mix and match furnishing style and a good smell and feel of a 'nanas house', and I instantly knew this would be good! We sat at a small table in the corner with what felt like Christmas emergency chairs and near an old piano surrounded by British memeoribilia, which complimented the ole fashioned British feel to the pub. There were no menus but just a blackboard with a handful of starters and mains alot of which were 'chef specials ask for details'. And no kids menu but chef could russel up anything off the menu as a 1/2 portion as everything was homemade was the reply. Pie of the day I asked.... homemade chicken, or duck and pea... Sold! Wife ordered beer battered cod with chips and chefs own mushy peas, 1/2 portion and chicken pie and 1/2 portion fish completed our order along with 4 diet cokes. We were advised wait time may be a while as it's all homemade, yeah they were really selling this homemade stuff but that's what we really wanted so happy. Rather than sitting on I pads and phones the Kids checked through the pile of old fashioned board games in the corner and started to play with a pack of 51 mixed red and blue playing cards with rough or torn edges really fitting with the nana house feel, and I raised a smile as I recalled sitting in my nanas house playing with a similar pack.
The food came and as expected, none of this fancy shizel, slates, shovels or buckets. But good old fashioned food on a plate, on a placemat from the 50s! Food tasted delicious, however i must say the one disappointment was the chips.... all this hard Work into the homemade selling and they failed on the chips, not saying they wernt nice but just didn't fit in with rest of the meal.
Everyone cleared their plates, And very happy! I can personally say duck in the pie was amazing, and brought what is usually an oriental cuisine into a great British dish We didn't go for a dessert, but I'm sure there would of been some homemade apple crumble or something like that I could just feel it! Before leaving I took a little walk around and found this amazing looking lounge dining restaurant area, fitting for a stately home or something. Hanging candle chandeliers which I could just picture the Trotters cleaning! A door near to the rear lead to a riverside beer garden, wasn't really beer garden weather today so didn't stay out for too long, but could picture this being perfect during a wonderful summer's day!
Overall it was an absolute little gem for us and exactly what we were looking for. If we ever fancy a little drive out for some good British food this will be top of our list for defo! Really felt like it took me back to times I enjoyed as a child and stripped back to a no frills British pub! I will defo be back sometime!
Food 9/10 ✅
Atmosphere 10/10 ✅ for what we wanted today. Would be different if I wanted a nice romantic meal or some international cuisine.
Ambiance 10/10 ✅ as above for what we wanted today, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but brought back some great memories just being there
Staff and service 10/10 ✅definitely couldn't do anything more for us, provided a very personal service and none of this commercial stuff many of us have a come accustomed to nowadays!
Value for Money 10/10 ✅ £34.50 for meal and drinks for 4.
Deserves to be up their with some of the greatest pubs in the UK!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Syksie
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Took the family to this great little pub while passing through the area. Three of us had the homemade Chicken & Leek Pie (2 with chips and 1 with potatoes & veg)and my youngest had the Cumberland Sausage ring with chips.
Everything is freshly made and locally sourced. My youngest is only 6 and he finished the adults portion of the sausage, he said it was that nice he had to eat it all up. He gave it a 3000/3000.
The pie was filled with big pieces of chicken and the pastry was lovely and soft in the middle and crust around the edge.
After our mains, we ordered desert, 2 chocolate fondants, 1 gooseberry & black currant Eaton mess and ice cream.
The fondants were perfectly baked and the Eaton mess was very tasty.
We tried a couple of the local drinks too, one was a cider, really refreshing and the other was a local ale with a great fruity after taste.
We walked in hungry and thirsty, and walked out completely satisfied and refreshed.
The lady who served us couldn’t of been more helpful, she was informative about everything on the menu, she was knowledgable about all the local breweries where the pub gets its ales and knew where the food was sourced from.
All in all a great afternoon out, would definitely recommend and we’ll be back next time we are in the area.

Date of visit: August 2018