“Excellent Fish & Chips”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Whitby
“Excellent Fish & Chips”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We brought visitng relatives to this restaurant. We usually use the takeaway side but decided to join the queue for the restaurant. Didn't have to wait too long though. What a lovley atmosphere inside, staff were very friendly and despite being full the food arrived very quickly. My brother was very impressed and said they were the best fish and chips he had ever eaten.
Will definitey eat inside again. Excellent!!

Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Best fish and chips on the east coast .”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Went to the seaview on a sunny day this April.
The fish and chips were superb, the restaurant was very busy and the staff were excellent .I would thoroughly recommend it . Also very reasonably priced for a great looking restaurant .

Mickledales
“Shocking!”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got a takeaway from the hatchet part. Suddenly a torrential downpour of rain lashed down and we took refuge under their canopy along with an elderly couple also eating chips. As we stood under the staff started to wind the canopy in!!! The elderly gentleman had a walking stick and the couple were well into their 80's. We got drenched and when I protested the staff said that we had not purchased the chips from the restaurant! The elderly couple had traveled up from Yorkshire and were disgusted as we were. I'd rather starve than eat here again...

7 Thank Rooneyclan
SeaviewinSaltburn, Owner at The Seaview Restaurant, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Rooneyclan – Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Receiving feedback whether positive or negative is crucial in assessing our service and standards delivery and allows us the opportunity to enact changes or ensure that we continue to carry on what we do well.
May I apologise as I am struggling to confirm your account of events with anyone at the restaurant? I have interviewed all members of staff at length and nobody has any recollection of the occasion.
I would like to invite you to contact me personally (Glenn 01287 626585) to inform me of the date of your visit. I am not trying to discredit your account of events but a few points that you have made is proving difficult for me to comprehend. We have a policy at the restaurant to retract the awnings only at the end of the evening or in high winds. The awnings can retract automatically when the safety sensor detects an unsafe wind speed that could damage the system. Though that does not explain your encounter with a member of staff. So can I please ask that you do contact me so we can discuss in detail the visit and clear up any misunderstanding or inappropriate behaviour from a member of staff that I am unaware of.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Glenn Pearson
NE
“Cosy, and relaxing”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have visited this place several times in the last 6 month, i have had food from the hatch(takeway) many times, but never sat in, one day me and the mister were having a stroll though the rain, next to the vicious waves, as you do in teesside, and decided to go sit in.

We found the price to be pretty decent, especially the winter warmer, fish chips, pot of tea, and bread and butter for under £8, our local chippy not far off that for just fish and chips. I can never eat all my dinner, its pretty generous portions. the fish is always nice and tender. The menu is fairly simple and not overly fussy, ive always opted for the F&C

What i like most is the atmosphere its always cosy and relaxing. i love the fish wallpaper and the lights, infact a lot of the decor.

Each time i have been in the service has been very quick.

The staff can be a little direct at time, but i don't mind that, they are fairly down to earth and quite laid back. I would rather that than have them stood to attention. Im not sure if it is family run, but it has that feel about it, like you used to get 10 years ago.

I prefer to go there without my children, who just don't appreciate quiet places. me and the mister go there on the odd date night, its a great place to just sit, eat and watch the waves roll in. It would be great if upstairs was inside.

• Visited April 2014
Loopy_ou - Thank you for posting such a nice review following your recent visit to the restaurant. I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience and that you found the restaurant so cosy and relaxing. It is great that you found your experience really good value for money and the quality of food to be of such a high standard.
Your comment about upstairs has brought me to admit that we are in the process of extending the restaurant upstairs, which will be to the same high standard as downstairs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Glenn Pearson
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Service very lax and would not serve us drinks only!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We went in for some hot drinks. The lady took an age to come to our table, then with attitude said that they did'nt serve drinks on their own! Ironic as they would not have had time to cook any food as they would close 15 minutes later....the place only had 4 people in so there was no pressure. Not a comfortable place to be.

5 Thank misha8904
SeaviewinSaltburn, Owner at The Seaview Restaurant, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear misha8904 - Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your visit to the Seaview Restaurant. I am truly sorry to hear that you felt you had not received the service you had been expecting and been spoken to in an improper manner.
We are a fully licensed restaurant and have had a policy since we opened that we do not serve drinks only. I’m sorry that this does not suit your needs but we are a very small restaurant that cannot accommodate a café style operation. We also are unable to take bookings as we are normally extremely busy and bookings unfortunately don’t work for us.
I hope that in the future you may wish to visit us for our famous fish & chips and enjoy your experience.