“Mums Birthday”
Review of Jolly Sailor

Jolly Sailor
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is a large moorland Country Pub that offers dining in the pub or in the restaurant. Excellent menu and wine list, warm and friendly welcome. Four of us ate 3 delicious courses here on a midweek evening 2 bottles of wine and beer £130 staggering value for money as the food was both delicious and well presented....a very pleasant suprise indeed and deserving to be represented on TripAdvisor.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

First time I took Mum to Jolly sailors and we weren't disappointed food was sublime as usual and there was mountains of it. In my opinion the best steaks around, despite setting the fire alarm off with the sizzling grill!!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had an evening meal here in October. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The food was quite good but mains were relatively expensive.
I ordered the 'Trio of black pudding' starter, expecting one of my favourite foods to be prepared and presented in three different ways. What did I get? Three identical slices of black pudding submerged in a bowl of gravy. Never had black pudding in gravy before and I don't want to try it again!
But the black pudding was the most delicious I have tasted. Spicy and with no large white lumps of fat. The waitress told me that they buy it from Peter Short Butchers in nearby Skelton. So whenever we are in the area we stop to buy two large black puddings.
If you like black pudding Peter Short in Skelton is the place to go!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I went there today with my family, two adults and two children for a decent meal and wasn't disappointed at all. The only real issue was that the heating had broken down and it was cold where we were first seat ed. However, once we got near the fire I was happy! It was a bit longer than average wait for the meal to arrive but to be honest the quality of the food was worth the wait. My five year old daughter didn't like the choice of children's meals which were the usual variety and so we asked for an adult dish for her, they kindly made it into a smaller version for her but I think wewere still charged the normal price. The meals were fresh and piping hot and the chips were lovely! I had the lamb shank and mangy husband had the fish and chips, both meals were excellent portion sizes. Three of us had a desert and the cheesecake was very nice. I would definitely go back again but might check the heating is on before I go!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Live in Whitby and my partner and I often stop on the way back home for a meal here. The early bird speacial is very good value - and the portions are no smaller just ecause they are cheaper earlier on. Steaks are to die for. Everything is cooked fresh and therefore at busy times you may have to wait sometimes.

The staff are always pleasant and am mystified by a previous review. I suppose you can not always please everyone!

Would recommend and will definitely be returning on several occassions.

1  Thank boro1
Reviewed November 7, 2012

No one is perfect and I believe a recent review was made due to a sad misunderstanding (emphasis on believe..I was there..30/10/2012)... It takes two to Tango buddy and you were downright rude and ignorant before things got...for want of better words.."Ugly".. The staff did all they could to appease and rectify..however.. To leave a watress distressed and in tears is unacceptable!!

I have been aware of the existence of this establishment for many a year but foolishly never tried it as in previous years it seemed silly to pass a well established eatery closer to home to get there.. (that!!! no names mentioned has seriously gone downhill).. It was on recommendation that we visited on this night, It was the most convenient time close to my good ladies birthday, and we both have no regrets whatsoever..

It was a very busy night, yet we both felt as if we were very special and were given first class treatment from the word GO... we really felt at home and can only describe everything as a warm friendly and inviting experience ..
We can NOT fault the staff in any way shape or form.. we already feel like regulars, having visited a second time for my birthday this week 6/11/2012.. Due to my military career I have dined in some very special venues which includes The Guild Hall London, with both politicians and Royalty...Officers and Gentlemen.. The Chef produces meals that equal anything I have ever tried..I am well travelled believe me..

ALL IN ALL.. TOP CLASS AND EXCELLENT VALUE!!!!!

2  Thank Taudun