“DISGRACEFULL”
Review of Jolly Sailor

Jolly Sailor
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is a large moorland Country Pub that offers dining in the pub or in the restaurant. Excellent menu and wine list, warm and friendly welcome. Four of us ate 3 delicious courses here on a midweek evening 2 bottles of wine and beer £130 staggering value for money as the food was both delicious and well presented....a very pleasant suprise indeed and deserving to be represented on TripAdvisor.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

my partner and myself booked a table at the jolly sailor moorsholm for 7:30 pm on 30-10-2012 we arrived at 7:20 and ordered drinks and the bar maid said are these to be added to a bill we said yes and she replied ill show you to your table and take your meal order shortly.

after waiting for 40 minutes with no one taken our order yet i return to the bar for another drink and politely asked if we could make our order to which we were hit with we are not taking orders for another 45 minutes!!!!!! i explained that we had already been sat waiting for 40 minutes she then replied theres nothing i can do.
I spoke to my partner and explained what the bar maid had said so we both decided that not only were we leaving but we were not paying for the two drinks we had because we had booked a table for 7:30 thinking we would be eating by around 8oclock ...
what happened next is a disgrace, the waitress came over and said its not our fault i could speak to the chef for you,but the evening had already been ruined,as we were leaving a lady( well i say lady .....(make your own mind up when i explain what happened) came to take our registration as we were refusing to pay for our two drinks due to lack of courtesy
My partner told me to pay for drinks to which i did un happily but paid all the same we then proceeded with this so called lady saying that if we had gone without paying then the girl behind the bar would of had to pay...........WHY SHOULD THIS BOTHER US WHEN WE HAVE LOST WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SPECIAL NIGHT .......this all got very heated in the middle of the pub we were then called scruffy c##ts by this so called lady and proceeded to call my partner a slag and chasing us out into the car park.......THIS PUB IS A DISGRACE THE STAFF ARE UNDEDUCATED FOUL MOUTHED TWO BIT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO MANNERS ARE CONSIDERATION FOR CUSTOMERS........I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU NEVER GO TO THIS SO CALLED WELCOMING AND FRIENDLY RESTERAUNT

6  Thank David S

Reviewed September 27, 2012

me and a friend went out in the car , to find some where nice to eat, as we have tryed most places we wanted homemade ! the staff were very friendly, helpful , and chatty. we both ordered steaks and they were cooked just right !!! being a cook myself i am very picky, homemade chunky chips, very colourful salad, onion rings again homemade, mushrooms and tomatoe, and to top pepper sauce mmmmmm very nice .

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We holiday in this area every year & love to come here for the fantastic food & friendliness.
Sharon & Mark give 100% commitment, there is so much to choose, sandwiches which come with home-made chips, & a gorgeous salad, lunch & tea-time specials, a specials board, steaks, the list goes on, & the portions are also very generous.
So if you like good food, plan a visit to The Jolly Sailor, book before you go though to avoid disappointment of having to wait for a table, as this pub is busy, you certailnly wont be disappointed.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Visiting the North of England for a weekend my partner suggested fish and chips in Whiltby for lunch, having investigated 3 very full car parks I decided to head back the way we had come and stopped first at 'The Grapes' intending to eat there. We left immediately for a few reasons (separate review) and headed to the Jolly Sailor which came recommended.

Place was fairly quiet when we arrived except for what appeared to be a shooting party in for lunch and we got a table easily.

My partner ordered the cod & chips while I went for the steak and ale pie, both with mushy peas.
I'm not sure if it was because of the shooting party but service took ages and I was starting to get really hungry by the time our food arrived. I had been on the point of asking if they had forgotten us.

Cod was very large with nice batter, steak and ale pie was in a bowl with puff pastry on top and looked a good portion. Chips came separate (loads of them) as did the mushy peas. Everything was freshly prepared and piping hot.

My only real gripe (appart from the slow service) was the pie. I really think that if they put some steak in there they would be on to a winner as the gravy (which I ate with a soup spoon) was delicious (as we're the few crumbs of meat I did find.).

That being said I really did enjoy my lunch and came away stuffed, glad I didn't have a starter and could not have managed a desert TBH.

Sort out the slow service and make sure the pie has some meat in and I'll give you 5 stars next time.

There will be a next time.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Five of us went for an evening meal to celebrate my dads birthday. We all choose something different & all had good meals. The portions are good so you only need one cousre.
The real ales were on fine form.

2  Thank Gareth R