If you're going here for a long, relaxing, pampered holiday, think again.
We spent two nights in a 2 bedroom lodge which sleeps 6, so plenty of room for just two people on a quick getaway. The bedrooms were pleasant, with comfortable beds, large TV's and plenty of storage space. The bathroom was brilliant, with a large stand in shower and separate bath which was very well cleaned and maintained. The kitchen was well equipped , with all white goods and amenities you would need for a long stay.
On our second morning there, we received a number of phone calls very early in the morning, which every time we got up to answer the line cut off. We were meant to be there on a relaxing holiday, were we could wake up when we want, not with telephone calls.
The facilities were nice such has the indoor pool and squash courts, there was a hair salon on site but wasn't open whilst we were there.
We stayed across St George's day meaning there was only a limited menu across the restaurant. I ordered the carvery and proceeded to chose my food. There was 3 choices of meat which looked like they have been sat there all day, I opted for the turkey which was very dry, bland and fatty. There were no choices of normal vegetables such as carrots, peas and broccoli. No mash just roast potatoes, suede and creamy leeks which was covered in a hard skin, not appetising at all.The gravy was so watered down it was so hard to even identify that it even was gravy. My partner had the steak pie, which was edible however when asking for some extra sauce and gravy, the waitress looked at us as if we asked her to draw blood from a stone. It took an age for our drinks to arrive, and when they did the beer was flat and the glasses were grubby.
We did our best to eat as much as we could, but eventually we left most of our meals, and got up to pay which was a considerably amount of money for what we were served. We returned to the lodge hungry and unsatisfied so we decided to find a local pub in the next village. Reading through other reviews, there seem to be a number of issues regarding the restaurant, many of them from a while back. A few of them it seems the management have responded saying they will sort out the issues internally, but nothing seems to have been done.
All in all the stay was pleasant, and if we decided to return, self catering would be the only option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As an old coaching inn from the 15th century, Woodford Bridge Country Club provided food and shelter for weary travelers, yet, while a warm welcome is still guaranteed, the standards and exclusivity of the Country Club have changed somewhat over the centuries. The thatched inn, the focal point of Woodford Bridge, still provides sustenance for guests in search of a superb meal in the friendly surroundings of the bistro. The suites and lodges, which surround the inn, are a home away from home that help to ensure you have a remarkable vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Woodford Bridge Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodford Bridge Country Club Hotel Holsworthy
- Woodford Bridge Country Club Holsworthy, Devon, UK