“Horrible salad”

Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Lumio
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2015

The spot is very nice over this clean beach but i was disgusted by my salad with local charcuterie and cheese as some lettuce leaves were starting to rot and had holes as though they'd be eaten by some vermin. All the meals are thoroughly designed but this was enough for me to not want to go again.
They refused a credit card payment.

Reviewed June 29, 2015

Local advice if you wanted to eat fish was to avoid the quayside restaurants in Calvi and head for the beach, so we did.
The restaurant is signposted off the coast road on the left, heading from Calvi towards Lumio, just after the Legionaire base. Follow the sandy track to the beach and park either in the beach car park itself or the restaurant's own a little further up the hill. Then cross the railroad tracks and you arrive.
The setting of Pain de Sucre is absolutely stunning (an empty, soft sand, west facing beach), the staff were charming, friendly and suitably informal. The food was very good if a little bit over-styled/presented (sprigs of seaside plants and herbs sticking up so that each plate resembled a garden) but absolutely fresh and with some imaginative takes on dishes using basic ingredients like scallops. Somebody in the kitchen knows what they are doing!
Desserts good too.
Wines available by the glass but I didn't see this mentioned on the list.
Time your visit to accompany the sunset!

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

.....without a doubt the perfect sunset location. Unfortunately such promise for the evening ahead was let down by truly appalling food, a cuisine catastrophe! This was far from a cheap restaurant but the quality of food, presentation and service was way off the mark. I'm still struggling to comprehend how the proprietors have go it so wrong. For a wholly different experience head a mile up the road to Matahari. You won't be disappointed.

3  Thank volvoxc90
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Last summer in August, me and my wife had several lunches and a memorable dinner party with local friends at this restaurant, overlooking Ste Restitude, one of loveliest coves in the Calvi bay area. The cuisine is exquisite, with ultra fresh and nicely cooked fish and seafood in particular; not to talk about outstanding deserts (and I am not especially a sweet tooth!) We were staying in the village of Lumio, same jurisdiction as this beach restaurant. The matter of the fact is that almost each time we went to that beach bringing sandwiches and stuff with the intention of having a picnic, we could not resist and ended-up having lunch at the restaurant... Service may be slow at times and all the waitresses not necessarily "nice". But there are more important criteria to judge a restaurant's personnel: one day I inadvertently dropped my wallet my way back from the restaurant to our beach spot. In the evening, I realized that I had lost my wallet and I rushed to the beach restaurant where we had lunch, with little hope that I could get it back. The restaurant's cook had found it on the boardwalk and left it at at my disposal on the front desk. There was about 80 Euros in cash in it, my driver's license, three credit cards, etc. In other words, this loss could have ruined my vacation. The front desk staff gave my wallet back to me with a smile. Everything inside had been untouched. I took it back with a deep sigh of relief... You can imagine that I was extremely grateful to them, to the cook in particular that was rewarded with a well deserved tip, Not only he is a great cook, but he is also a very honest person. We celebrated this recovery on following day at Le Pain de Sucre, "comme il se doit", with a three course lunch with Corsican Rosé. A recommended address, definitely!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a hidden gem. We accessed this beach / restaurant by train which dropped us off at a siding! The restaurant was a mere 50 meters away and less from the lapping waves. The aromas coming from the restaurant were very inviting. We samples Tempur Gambas and the Calamari seafood cocktail. The presentation and the dressings were beautiful. All were washed down by a very tasty bottle of the local Rose. We rested awhile on the sands, themselves cooled by a mild sea breeze, before the refreshing swim. Three hours we were again picked up at the siding band returned to Calvi central. Wonderful experience, indulgent and heavenly.