“A wonderful guest house”

Agnantia Hotel Apartment
Ranked #1 of 7 Fiscardo B&B and Inns
Athens, Greece
“A wonderful guest house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We spent three days at Agnantia during June 2013, and had an amazing time!

There are certain things that make this hotel stand out. Firstly, its owners are extremely helpful, answering all our questions and accommodating our needs. Moreover, the rooms are quite comfortable and elegant (Korres cosmetics!). Finally, the breakfast: a great selection between home-made marmalades, freshly baked sweets, pies and other dishes.

The location is another strong point, with a great view of the forest, the surrounding beaches and Ithaca. Tselentata is also close to Fiscardo (3km) and to other villages as well.

All in all, a short vacation wisely spent - would definitely recommend it for couple vacations!

Room Tip: Although all rooms have a wonderful view, the higher the better, so try aiming for one of the higher...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anvent

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Firstly Yes it's a stunning location, and yes the Owners and staff are very charming and helpful, but the room I got was not at all like the ones shown on the website or the brochure. Yes the rooms are comfortable and clean and the bedding changed every other day, but the self catering facilities are inadequate, why provide a basic kitchenette (2 x electric rings & a fridge, sink with no plug), this is not the first time that I have been to Greece, I go every year but when I see a self catering apartment I expect to be able to make a light meal , snack and boil a kettle. We had 3 x cups & saucers / 3 plates/3 dishes 3 x knife, fork,& spoons, glasses , colander, med pan and a pan to boil a cup of water , no chopping boards, knives or cooking utensils .
Breakfast was ok , the first couple of days we got fresh milk with our tea and coffee, after that uht , and after the first couple of days of having a choice of different tea bags we were left with the leftover choice of fruit teas ( good job that I had tea bags and fresh milk , although I thought it was a poor show that I was providing my own ?)
And yes it's lovely to sit out on the veranda at the end of the day , but it's so quiet it's intimidating you feel that you have to whisper all the time so as to not upset other guests? There were no sunbathing facilities at the hotel.
Don't let anybody fool you that these apartments are in walking distance of Fiskado ,I read in reviews that it was a 30min stroll ?? It's 45mins at the least and don't think you could ever attempt to walk back , those with heart conditions beware ,and taxi's are not that available you need a car , while I'm on about car's you cannot get out of the steep drive without grounding the front valance of your hire car,,, beware !
All in all I found better accommodation on the outskirts of the village albeit that you would perhaps pay a few euro's more, but you would be paying for something a bit better maintained and modern .
Yes it's lovely and yes it's quirky, and no I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Not on the ground floor if you want something that is representative of the brochure /website
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank candytuft1
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Myra, Marina and their charming staff made us feel very welcome during our 14 night stay at Agnantia. Having never stayed in an apartment hotel we were not sure what to expect but we were very well looked after and the standard of accommodation and service was very good – we were particularly impressed that the bedlinen and towels were changed every other day.

This is the perfect getaway destination if you are looking to switch off and relax but also offers plenty of sightseeing options on days when you are feeling more energetic.

Our typical day began with a delicious buffet style breakfast on the pretty Bougainvillea covered sun terrace. Breakfast is served from 8.30 - 11 with most guests during our stay choosing to eat between 9.30 and 10 which we thought was very civilised.

Breakfast was followed by either time spent on the beach or exploring further afield.
In terms of beaches Agnantia is perfectly placed, with at least half a dozen within easy reach. Our favourite was Foki bay (a 5 minute drive). This is a very picturesque spot with natural shade provided by olive trees leading down to crystal clear turquoise water - wonderful for swimming (shoes are advisable as this beach is pebbly) and also great for snorkelling – one of our fellow guests claimed to have swam with turtles here. An added bonus is that there is an extremely good taverna just above the beach.

If you are looking for a sandy beach and don’t mind travelling a bit further afield, Agios Nikalaos beach in Vasta Bay (about 1 hour 15 minutes drive) is the perfect Robinson Crusoe type hideaway with free use of palm fringed sunshades and a very atmospheric taverna right on the beach (literally, it has a sand floor), complete with resident ducks that you can watch cooling off in the sea while you enjoy grilled fish caught fresh that morning.

Sightseeing options in Kefalonia are plentiful, from exploring the traditional villages close to Agnantia – Tselentata where Agnantia is located is a very pretty village - to adventures further afield. We enjoyed visiting Assos, Sami, Luxouri, Melissani Lake and Drogarti Cave and the scenery on the drives were spectacular. If you have satnav Myra’s assistant can programme in coordinates for your destinations (this would be useful for Agios Nikalaos which we found tricky to find). Myra can also arrange boat trips and hiking.

After a day’s relaxation or adventure, one of our favourite parts of the day was returning to Agnantia and enjoying a chilled glass of wine on our peaceful balcony (often accompanied by Myra’s homemade pie of the day that we were too full at breakfast to do justice to) and marvelling once more at the most incredible views.

In terms of our room’s facilities, our superior double room was a generous size and tastefully furnished. As well as a refrigerated mini bar the room also had a fridge and kitchenette with a small hob which would give guests the option to prepare simple meals if they felt so inclined (there is a very good supermarket and delicatessen in Magganos village, less than a 5 minute drive from Agnantia).

Our evenings were either spent people & yacht watching in Fiskardo or enjoying the friendly welcome and atmosphere of a village taverna, all within a short drive of Agnantia.
For pre-dinner drinks we particularly enjoyed the bar at Alaities beach (also a great location to watch the sun set over the sea) and in Fiskardo Theodora’s (on the waterfront) & the Fish Bone (a very atmospheric bar in a side street favoured by the locals).

There are a variety of good food options. We found that the best authentic Greek food was served in the tavernas outside of Fiskardo, we particularly enjoyed To Pefko and To Petrino in Antipata ( a 10 minute drive from Agnantia), Ionion in Magganos and Odissees in Jerusalem Bay. The latter (about a 15 minute drive from Agnantia) is a particularly lovely spot for lunch, it has no menu, the mother cooking from the fresh ingredients she is able to source that day – the freshly baked olive and feta stuffed bread and the fishcakes are highly recommended!
Some of the tavernas have special nights, Ionion and To Petrino for example have spit roast and Greek music nights which are worth looking out for.

In Fiskardo we found the restaurants we tried which were offering traditional Greek food disappointingly touristy, although we did very much enjoy the food and the friendly & attentive service at Cafe Tselentis in the square behind the waterfront.

Interestingly, the best food we ate in Fiskardo was not Greek – I ate the best pizza I have ever tasted in Maria’s, which is a very pretty pizzeria situated in a sophisticated new square behind the harbour and the Thai buffet at Lord Byron was also very good.

If you fancy some retail therapy there is a very chic Italian owned & run ladies boutique called Sabbia in Fiskardo selling beautiful kaftans and floaty dresses, ideal for cruising on a yacht, as well as some very nice leather handbags and jewellery.

We’d end another perfect day back at Agnantia on our balcony with a coffee and a nightcap enjoying the warm breeze and watching the twinkling lights on the island of Ithaca in the distance.

I rarely consider re-visiting a holiday destination but there was so much that we didn’t get to see and do during our stay that I would definitely consider going back to Kefalonia and I would certainly include a stay at Agnantia as part of my itinerary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Agnantia apartment hotel in June this year (2013), so firstly I must apologize to Myra for not writing this review earlier.

We too work in tourism and hospitality so as you can imagine we can be quite rigorous in our search to find the perfect place to stay.

Kefalonia had not been our first choice as a location and I have to admit we had mixed ideas about what we were going to find. We have been visiting Greece for over 25 years now and we tend to favour small islands or the mainland where we have been able to experience a more off the beaten track authentically Greek holiday.

We couldn’t believe our luck when we stumbled over the Agnantia. The hotel has an idyllic location nestled on the hillside in the village of Tsentelata which is just 3 km’s from the charming and cosmopolitan village of Fiskardo. From the bedroom balconies and breakfast terrace you are rewarded with breathtaking views over pine covered hills, the island of Ithaca and a perfectly blue Ionian sea.

Myra our host welcomed us just as we had read in the other reviews with a welcome smile and genuine hospitality, she is a lovely lady who has time for her guests and genuinely cares for their wellbeing, she recommends beaches, places to visit as well as places to eat and I have to say that one of her recommendations for a fish taverna on the beach was definitely our favourite place to eat during our stay.

I also suspect she is a talented artist as she draws the most creative little maps of Fiskardo to make it easier for her guests to find their way around. Finally there is the attention to detail from the homemade lemonade and cookies on arrival to the tastefully decorated rooms and the selection of music she chooses to play on the terrace at breakfast time.

Most of the reviews on Tripadvisor mention Myra’s breakfast so I don’t think I need to go into too much detail here except to say they are delicious especially her homemade pie’s which are different every day. Once we returned home I really I missed sitting on that terrace surrounded by pretty flowers, watching the butterflies and listening to the carefully chosen music.

We stayed in the Junior Suite Apsilothrono (Myra told us this name means throne in a high place and it comes from the Iliad) This suite like all the other rooms has a balcony with amazing views, a kitchenette, and stylish décor. The apartments all seemed very spacious and comfortable with excellent quality bed linen and a choice of pillows and the bed was extremely comfortable. It was a real treat to have the wonderful Korress toiletries in our room, you normally see these products in Greek boutiques and posh pharmacies and I would certainly consider them a little luxury so we felt very spoilt to have them supplied in our bathroom.

We had good in room WiFi connection, our rooms were cleaned every day by a lovely lady who wished us good morning every morning as well as the young girl who helps out at breakfast.

The Agnantia is ideally situated close to Fiskardo with an excellent choice of bars and tavernas, it’s the perfect place for people watching or just chilling out. The hotel is close to many beautiful beaches, we drove to most of them because we liked to explore on the way but it was possible to walk to the beautiful Foki bay but just be aware it’s all uphill on the way back!

Our favourite beach was Alaties with its crystal clear turquoise waters, amazing sunsets and friendly beach bar, we also liked Aghia jerousalim with its amazing fish taverna Odysseus.

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and much to my surprise it has not sold out to mass tourism however I am told that the southern part of the island is more commercial. I know we will certainly be coming back to explore more and we couldn’t even think of staying in any other place but the Agnantia.

Thank you to Myra and her team for a truly magical memorable holiday, hopefully we will see you again in October.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to have balconies and amazing views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cattiv
GREECE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel this August for a couple of days. The rooms are spacious and very very clean!! The location is very nice, in a small village called Tselentata which is about 5 km from Fiscardo. It is better to stay at Tselentata rather than Fiskardo, because it is quieter and more breezy.
The only thing that I didn't like is the breakfast area. Although we had breakfast in a lovely terrace, it very hot in the morning since the sun rises from that side!! Apart from this, breakfast quality is very high!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MIRTALI
myra_sarri, Owner at Agnantia Hotel Apartment, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear MIRTALI,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Agnantia and providing us with your remarkable feedback. I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and you have discovered the advantages of this peaceful village of Tselentata. I am so emotionally connected to this place since it is the village of my children’s grandfather.

Thank you also for the tips regarding the peacefulness and the dew of the place. This is a really useful note for prospective travelers to Kefalonia. Allow me a little correction, Agnantia is 3km away from Fiskardo. I am so sorry for your temperature problem in the veranda,at breakfast time, although the large umbrellas and the green. Some days during August the temprature goes a little bit higher. If I knew, I definitely will take particular care to serve you in your room. The Agnantia’s breakfasts signifies an authentic Greek pleasure, which is offered with so much love to our guests! It is a matter of the utmost importance.

I wish you nice trips and unforgettable travelling experiences!
Salisbury, Wilts.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We've been back home (UK) a week and half now and are really missing the sun, the scents, Fiskardo harbour, the goats, cats, the laid back vibe, the quiet of Tselentata, Myra, her team, and breakfast on the terrace.

Upon arrival, we were, as all are I believe, offered a drink (and greek nibbles), ours being homemade lemonade which after the flight and the hot drive from Argostoli was heaven sent. We chatted for a while, about cats, Kefalonia, the hotel, and were then shown to our room. I can honestly say that I've never had such a warm and genuine welcome. It felt like we were staying exclusively at someone's home.

Our room, which Myra upgraded upon arrival, was a junior suite. It was more than enough for my wife and I; upstairs a room with a sofa and table, and then down we had two hobs, a fridge, mini bar, crockery and cutlery, pots and pans, a wardrobe, shower sink and toilet, dressing table, large bed, TV, and the veranda - big enough to comfortably sit three people for that all important beer in the evening when you've returned from the beach.

Breakfast each day was always a treat and in addition to the continental breakfast were traditional greek offerings, all of which we consumed great amounts of (the spinach and feta pie was my personal favourite!). On top of that was the greeting each morning of Myra and her team - such a friendly bunch.

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and we've well and truly fallen for it. In particular, the north feels more untouched by tourism and I recommend you go should you be looking for peace and quiet, good food, and amazingly rugged beaches with crystal clear waters...and I wouldn't look any further than the Agnantia Hotel Apartments. Tselentata is 3km from Fiskardo and the journey to and from can easliy be walked if you're reasonably fit. However, I'd recommend walking to Fiskardo and getting a taxi home. My favourite thing of all was in the early evening after a day at the beach, and sitting on the veranda with that beer, and listening to the goat bells from the farm somewhere down there amongst the trees.

'Agnantia' is such a good base and lovely to come home to. Most of the reviews on here are very positive and the odd few that are negative - well I can only assume that these are from the sort of people who always find something to complain about - glass half empty people. The reason I say that is because I cannot possibly imagine how anyone could come away from Myras hotel and have 'issues'. I guess you can't please everyone...

My wife and I have never gone back to the same place twice for a holiday as there's a big world out there but we're going to make an exception here and are already planning to head back to 'Agnantia' in June next year. Roll on!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank beargrizzly
Dear beargrizzly,
Many thanks for taking the time to share so detailed your experience at Agnantia, with this sweet review. I keep reading of your lovely words and I am looking forward to the next summer at Agnantia, Kefalonia and all beautiful things happen there. I am so pleased you have experienced your unique summer story in Agnantia.

Some years ago, when I decided to run a small hotel in Kefalonia, I never thought I could take back so much love from travellers. You are a wonderful couple and it has been a great pleasure meeting you. I wish you the best for your life and I hope to meet you soon at Agnantia, your summer house!
Take care!
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of September for 5 nights. Our room was immaculate, spacious and had a great view. The hotel was a ten minute drive to Fiscardo, 20 minutes away from the beautiful Myrtos beach and a five minute drive from our favourite Foki Bay. Myra was an excellent manageress: she was helpful both during our stay (with her tips of the area) and before we arrived (answering my many questions). She was friendly, attentive and made delicious traditional Greek pies for breakfast, which we had every morning on the beautiful terrace. A big thank you to Myra and her staff for giving us such a relaxing experience. Kefalonia is paradise and we will visit again soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KaroBxls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fiscardo
Almyra Hotel
Ionian Emerald Resort
Balhambra Suites
Balhambra Suites
#4 of 7 in Fiscardo

Been to Agnantia Hotel Apartment? Share your experiences!