Fundana Villas
  • Breakfast included
Akrotiri Beach Hotel(Paleokastritsa)
Paleo Inn(Paleokastritsa)
  • Pool
All reviewsolive presseslocal winebungalowgeraldaccommodationhillbeachesmonastery
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our family of four just spent 10 wonderful days at this family-run hotel, set around an ancient Venetian villa, officially classed a historic building. We wanted to be as far away as possible from the commercialized/henparty/mass tourism side of Corfu, and this was perfect. Fundana's location means you have access to beaches all along the east and west coasts of northern Corfu -- anything from 7 mins to 45 mins away (exploring is part of the fun!). Horseback riding, day boat rentals and a donkey refuge are nearby attractions. Bicycle rental possible, and day trips to other islands. The villas are 12 self-catering holiday apts: very basic kitchens, all with patios and/or balconies, overlooking the serene interior of Corfu. AC in master bedroom. Daily maid service. Nice, big pool with plenty of sun loungers. Occasional dinners offered -- and daily breakfast an option, @ 7.50 euros for adults, 4.00 for kids -- NOT great value, but worked fine on our first morning, before we could do a supermarket run. Car essential. Lots of young families & young couples on romantic breaks. Corfu town, a UNESCO heritage site, is about 30 mins away - we drove in for dinner a couple of times. The charming, multi-lingual Spyros and his handsome sons are constantly improving the property during the winter months: an events room is planned. Spyros kindly let us freeze big water bottles in the hotel ice chest, for us to use on day trips on the water. This is NOT 5-star luxury: it's a laid-back place where three hard-working people will try to meet your needs within reason, and succeeding far in excess of what you'd expect in this price range. I'd definitely stay here again -- and, if you go, will you please feed the family of beautiful cats that hangs around the place?

Room Tip: Some of the apts are effectively studio apts: the first night, our 2-BR apt had been double-booked, and we were put in a flat with a separate bedroom (and given a bottle of champagne for the inconvenience) -- but our daughters' beds were in the open plan kitchen area. If more privacy is needed, state your needs quite clearly. At least one apt appears to be wheelchair-accessible, possibly more.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Omnivole
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Fundana Villas are nothing less than fabulous. My family stayed a total of 8 days and from the time we arrived to the time we departed, we were treated like family. The Villas are situated upon a hill in Paleokastritsa . Surrounded by panoramic views, an open airy layout and a peaceful atmosphere, we were able to relax and enjoy our vacation comfortably.
A few of the highlights that Spyros assisted in helping us set up included; dancing the night away at a yearly Greek festival in Doukadis, touring Albania with Ionian tours and enjoying delicious Greek cuisine at Aspros Taverna in the village of Liapades.
This place is like a magical gem waiting to be discovered. It’s family oriented, peaceful for couples and a place of tranquility if you’re single. I have traveled to over 44 countries in the last few years and I can honestly say the Fundana Villas is my absolute favorite place to stay thus far! We have been home for two days and miss it already! If you’re planning a vacation to Corfu and are looking for a family friendly villa/hotel with staff that are knowledgeable on the areas, friendly and take pride in their property, the Fundana Villas is the place to stay!
You can see photos of the villas, beaches, our night at the Greek festival and more at my blog

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LCMS1970
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We absolutely loved the location of this hotel, there are almond trees, the villa is beautiful and the service is good. However, we were very disappointed to find a number of creepy crawlies in our studio apartment. We didn't mind the odd salamander, or cricket but on two consecutive nights we found millipedes in my bed, when we lifted the mattress there was a family which had hatched there. We asked to be moved immediately which we were but then were asked to return there for another night, we decided to leave. Also, our studio apartment was tiny and the kitchen had one tiny hob so it's not really ideal if you are planning on doing a lot of cooking.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AliciaN02
Spathas, Manager at Fundana Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2011

We are glad that our clients gave us the chance to inform them and through them the public,that our hotel is a Venetian Monument of the 17 c.protected by the Greek Ministry of Culture,from which we took in 1981 the permission to transform it into a traditional bungalow hotel.So was, during its construction,strictly forbidden to change any of its architectural characteristics.So, the first remark ,about the size of the studio, is not correct,as the one room apartement that they booked, has a surface of 26 sq.meters. The kitchenette has 2 eyes,destined to cook small meals.Concerning the second remark,as we are situated in the middle of beautiful corfiot nature,in extreme,rare cases is natural to happen events like the above.As clients mention ,we change them immediately bungalow and we gave them the choice,as this time of the high season we were fully booked,or to stay in the same studio after it was renewed or to accommodate them into a nearby apart-hotel of a friend,.They choosed the second solution, paying the same price for a 3 room apartm.As one can see,they were served the best possible way. Finally, our aim is ,to impove every season the quality of our services,in order to have happy guests,which is the reason why we receive so many repeaters,an
18% of our clientel come back to us!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Having tried the charms of Spain, Italy and France, as well as other parts of Greece, Corfu and Fundana Villas keep drawing us back time and time again....since 1993 we have been back so many times and each time we get taken aback by the beauty and tranquility as well unparalleled hospitality Fundana Villas have to offer! One thing we learned over the years is that with each next visit things get only better, as owner manages to make many improvements without actually destroying the essence of the place. He is passionate about his place and Corfu's traditions and can offer an endless list of exciting cultural and historic places to see, restaurants to eat in, beaches to visit....so, if you are looking for an ideal "away from it all, do as little or as much as you like" type of holiday, Fundana Villas will not disappoint!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Maria_Stockholm_11
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I had been looking for a place to spend the famous Greek Easter on Corfu in a rural environment, not too far from Kerkyra town, so I could easily participate in the celebrations if I chose to.

I also tried to select a rather authentic place, reflecting the Greek as well as the Venetian heritage of Corfu. Hence Fundana Villas seemed to be the right choice for my 9 days stay.
I found my room to be rather spacious. It was equipped with refrigerator and cooking facilities, which allowed me to stay fairly independent.
Internet is available near the reception and will, according to the owner, soon be available in all rooms. I found no problem with cleanliness as stated in the previous review, which seems to be due to a change of personnel. It appears to me that also the parking lot has been improved.
Yes, you will need a car to get there and about, the location of the hotel, however, is convenient and truly stunning. You are in the midst of an olive tree grove, with trees dating back to Venetian time, and I found carpets of wild flowers and even orchids in abundance right around the hotel. If you like to hike and explore, you can just start from right here. A nearby monastery is a pleasant walk of one kilometer away. The path takes you through lovely colorful meadows and olive groves. You can reach the spectacular West Coast in 10 minutes by car, Corfu town in 15 to 20 minutes.

Overall, in my impression the hotel is being run with significant personal involvement by the owner family. Even though I was traveling all by myself, I felt perfectly accommodated and well cared for on a heartfelt and personal level. This is something I cannot say about most hotels I have been in.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo