“A little slice of paradise!”

Angel's Pool Bar Apartments
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Paleokastritsa
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A little slice of paradise!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at Angels Pool from 6th – 15th June 2012. Every aspect was fabulous! Angela is the friendliest, warmest, happiest host you could hope to meet! She’s lovely to chat to and nothing is too much trouble. Her BBQ night was great fun, mountains of delicious food followed by Greek dancing and a live guitarist. The bar is light, airy and welcoming, and Angela’s home cooked food was stunning. Our room was fresh, clean and adequately equipped – we stayed in Angela’s winter bedroom – the bathroom was excellent with a large corner bath and hand held shower. A big plus point of the room was the insect netting over the bathroom window and the insect netting blind that could be pulled down over the patio doors, this meant we could leave the window/doors open for ventilation without getting eaten alive. We didn’t have a balcony but our bedroom opened out onto the pool area where we had very comfortable loungers (with padded covers) and a parasol right outside the door. The pool area is perfect - it’s not huge but as there aren’t many guest rooms it never busy. The pool and patio are very clean and everything feels well looked after and cared for. Angela’s place is a couple of minutes walk up a steep hill, but you soon get used to this, and it’s nice to be away from the main road.

Paleokastritsa – WOW! What an absolutely stunning place with truly beautiful scenery. We did a couple of walks through the olive groves on old mule paths to Lakones, the village above, where the views are spectacular, breathtaking! As you would expect, there are plenty of boat trips to take, including BBQs and a glass bottomed boat “The Yellow Submarine”!

Paleokastritsa is a long resort with plenty of restaurants and bars all being quite low key. This is definitely a place to relax and recharge – if you want a clubbers’ paradise it’s not for you. We particularly enjoyed eating at O Miraklis Grill, where the food was extremely tasty and reasonably priced with melt in your mouth souvlaki and heavenly moussaka! Our favourite bar was the Pergola Café bar – delicious cocktails and a very warm welcome from the friendly owners. It is well worth a walk to the Belvedere restaurant that overlooks the harbour – here we ate the most tender Kleftiko imaginable surrounded by beautiful views. Another bar of note is La Grotta, a descent down steep steps to a cliff-side bar for drinks, ambience and glorious location above the craggy bay.

We’ve visited several places in Corfu and this has definitely been our favourite. I’ve never really understood why people want to go back to the same place year after year and not experience as much of the world as possible… but now I’ve found my little slice of paradise, I will definitely return to Paleokastritsa as often as I can, in fact if I could only ever holiday in one place again, this would be it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PoppyMeadows

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Angel's Pool Bar in the latter part of June 2012. The weather was in the 30’s every day and I didn’t see a cloud for a whole week. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday with no frills then this is the place for you. Situated half way up a steep(ish) side road, off of the main road, it is tranquil and pretty. The occasional car and taxi does drive up and down the side road, but there is not much passing traffic which is good.

The apartments are basic but very clean and it has everything you need for self-catering. I was travelling alone but was given one of the biggest apartments (room 6) which is actually part of Angela’s family home when the season finishes. It was very spacious with two bedrooms, a huge bathroom and a lounge/dining area. There is an air conditioning unit in each bedroom which was a godsend and the air-con unit is modern and quiet which is always a bonus! You pay Angela directly for the use of the air-conditioning – it wasn’t too expensive and worth every penny. Also payable locally was a safe that could be found in the wardrobe.

Ensure that you take a plugin mosquito plug to use in the apartment. I took one and wasn’t bitten once but a couple of the others didn’t take them and were bitten. Being self-catering you have to provide your own toilet roll once the one that has been provided has been used and don’t forget soap for hand washing. Both are cheap to buy in the supermarket just down the road. The toilet bins in the apartment were emptied nearly every day.

Wifi is also available, but was hit and miss inside the apartment, however by the pool and bar area it worked perfectly.

There are 6 apartments in all and they are all centred round a lovely pool area, the sunbeds are very comfortable and there is never a problem getting one. The bar area is nice and has everything you could possibly want to eat and drink at a reasonable price. The pool bar is open to ‘non-residents’ but as it is tucked away I didn’t see too many other people, apart from the occasional couple or family who were staying in the villas behind Angel's Pool Bar.

As others have reported, Angela’s cooking is second to none, but you do have to order well in advance, which may not suit some people. Including the BBQ evening, I ate there three times. The BBQ was fun and the food that was served was very generous and tasty. Everyone is seated and practically served at the same time, so that was great. If you are lucky, Angela and her brother will do a bit of Greek dancing too.

When walking down the hill to the main road, if you turn left and keep walking you will see a big sign for a beach on the right. This is a lovely beach and a sunbed and umbrella cost me 4 euros for the day. There is a bar on the beach that serves food and drink at very reasonable prices.

As for restaurants, again, turn left when at the bottom of the hill and there is a lovely restaurant called the Nausika Tavern. I had a delicious meal here – reasonably priced, good service and lots to choose from. Just next door to this restaurant is a supermarket. Or, if you keep walking, past the beach sign, you will come across a restaurant called Nereids, this also was a lovely restaurant, with delicious food and nice surroundings. I did see quite a few mosquitos flying around in Nereids but I didn’t get bitten.

If you keep walking past Nereids, walk round a sharp bend and walk up the hill, you will see a hotel in front of you called Akrotiri Beach Hotel. When walking through the gateway of this hotel, veer to the left and this will take you to their swimming pool which is actually an infinity pool with fantastic views. I bought a drink in the pool area and then spent the afternoon sunbathing, taking in the wonderful views.

If you turn right at the bottom of the hill when leaving Angel's Pool there is a bar and a supermarket and another restaurant close by. If you keep walking, following the road round, you will come across the Horizon Taverna Restaurant and the Belvedere Restaurant on the right, I heard many people say how good both these restaurants were, however I didn’t get to eat at either of them, as although I felt safe in the resort I didn’t want to walk back on my own late in the evening as part of the walk isn’t populated.

If you continue walking past these two restaurants you will come across another lovely little beach which is at the base of where the monastery is situated. There is also a small bakery opposite the beach where I did buy a very nice pastry! I did walk up to the Monastery which I very much enjoyed - the views are breath taking on the way up and once you get to the top. I would recommend that you go under your own steam and not pay for a pre-arranged trip. It is a bit of a circus once you get to the top with all the coaches etc, but the views are well worth going to see and to have a look round the monastery. The monastery is a working monastery so ladies, please ensure you are covered up. There is no fee to enter, but they do rely on donations.

Through my Thomas Cook rep I booked a boat trip to Paxos and Anti Paxos. The downside is that the rep told me it was an hour transfer from Angels Pool to the boat. However, I was picked up at 7am and didn’t get to the boat until 9.00am! NOT happy. The boat trip was good but it was a very long day and I didn’t get back to Angels Pool Bar until 8.30pm! Too long a day for me really. I had no complaints about the actual boat trip though.

Angela and her family work very hard and this is clearly reflected in the successful running of Angel's Pool Bar.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Cherub71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at Angels Pool for a week from June 4th 2012 with my wife and some friends. Let me start firstly by saying that Angela and her family are great hosts and a special mention to Angela for her home cooked food that is some of the best Greek food I have eaten. The food was so good that we ate there five times in the seven days while we were there. The other two nights we ate at Nerelis (on the bend) and Spiros. Both did excellent food in particular Nerelis as they had a three course menu for 12e and the food was fantastic.

Back to Angels pool. Prior to leaving, Angela gave me a tour of the studios as we were staying in one of the two bed apartments. We asked to look as we wanted to come back again but only two of us this time. Anyway, the studios are very clean and have balconies. The two bed apartment by the pool we had, was very nice and clean and modern, the other two bed apartment is like a small house and is very big inside. It’s a little tired but very clean and ok to stay in. Angela will cook your evening meal fresh and you just have to tell her what you want the night before. The Saganati Prawns she does are a must, trust me!! and the beef dish is great and also the chicken dish in white wine sauce it great as well.

If you read any negative comments on Trip Advisor about Angels Pool, they are wrong trust me!!!. You won’t be disappointed if you go there.

Beaches, the main beach in the town is pretty but it has a very busy road behind you and it quite noisy. If you come to the main road out from Angels Pool and turn left and walk about two hundred yards, you will see signs for a beach and tennis courts that is much better. If you have a car you must go to Glyfada Beach, it’s about a 20min drive South of Paleo. Glyfada beach is very sandy and has warmer water than the rest. It is very shallow and the water is crystal clear. If you go there you will go down a hill left and right, when you get towards the bottom, take the right and park in the taverna car park. This is the left hand corner of the beach and is quite and a very nice spot. One thing, avoid Sundays for the beach as the locals all seem to be there as well, but you can still get a sun bed.

Time to go there. Well in my opinion go in the middle to the end of June or Sep as the water is warmed up and still warm in Sep, the mosquitoes are not that bad then. It’s about 27/28c during the day and very nice and at night not too hot to sleep. It can be very hot late July and Aug.

All the beaches on the North East side of the Island or stone beaches and the west mostly sand. The North of the Island is very green and the South much flatter and not so green. Paleocastritsa is a great location for families and couples. Try Tangos bar (opposite Nereles) it’s a very nice cocktail bar.

If you go enjoy, I know we did. Happy holidays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Baileyfluff
manchester
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Angels Pool Bar, what a great place ! if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with no frills then this is the place for you. Apartments are basic and a little dated but very clean and it does have everything you need for self catering. We stayed in Room 1 , it has a huge balcony but only gets the sun first thing but to be honest its that hot you're glad of the shade.There are only 6 apartments and they are all centred round a gorgeous pool area, sunbeds are really comfy and there is never a problem getting one. The bar area is really welcoming and attractive. The owners Angela and her husband Stellios are really lovely and helpful, my hubby was ill for a few days with a bad cold and Angela not only made him toddies but bought him cough syrup as well ! Breakfast can be bought every morning and there is a large menu for lunch and evening meals, Angela is the cook and everything is bought on the day at your request. (One tip to remember though credit cards are not accepted) We ate out every night and the restuarants in Paleo are numerous and the food is gorgeous. We were worried before we went that prices may have risen due to the ongoing problems with the Euro but if anything we found prices slightly less than last year, (all restuarants accept credit cards ) but if you are doing the self catering thing for meals ,supermarkets do not accept credit cards. Paleokastrista itself is the most beautiful place, the scenery is stunning. The local people are the friendliest we have ever known on holiday. At Spiros taverna , Angleos the owners son actually remembered us by name from last year ! This is not a place to go if you are into busy bars and late nights but if you want to completely chill in beautiful surroundings I honestly cant recommend a better place. We will be returning to Angels Pool next year thats for sure !!

Room Tip: Room 1 has the biggest balcony but it does face the road that leads up to more apartments but it is...
6 Thank mariceManchester
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have just returned from Angels Pool (2.6.2012). We had a lovely time, Angela and Stelios and their families are lovely welcoming friendly people. The apartment we stayed in was clean and tidy with a lovely outlook of the pool. There where plenty of sunbeds. Angela cooks lovely food and offers a great variation of food and drinks. Angela and Stelios had a BBQ which was fantastic value for money there was so much food and the Greek dancing was great entertainment. We met some lovely people both in the apartments and around Paleo. We could not fault anywhere where we ate and the service was fantastic nothing was too much trouble for anyone. We especially would recommend Nereids, the food was amazing and excellent value for money. The resort is lovely but if you are a party animal then maybe this resort is not for you, but if you love chilling and enjoying a glass of wine or two Paleo is definately the place.
Debbie & Paul

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good as only a small complex.
1 Thank 1Debbie
manchester
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Just come back after two weeks in Corfu, it is more for adults nothing much for children in paleokastritsa , we stayed at Angels Pool, is up a small incline and at first it is a killer but you do get use to it, very small complex with only 6 studios/ apartments, the pool is quite small there is a bar area where you can have something to eat and is freshly cooked, Angela will also cook a meal in the evening for you what ever you want as long as you tell her well in hand she will cook it fresh for you Angela and her family will do anything for you to make sure you have a good holiday, we also tried several other places to eat can recommend the Tango Bar, the views are to die for at night, Angela sister as a place forget the name at the moment and that is good.,Do try to get to Lakones village at the very top the views are unblievable it is a hard climb/ walk but worth it, you can then get something to eat or just a drink at any of the nice resturants. great holiday

2 Thank billavic
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We have not stayed in the apartments always nearby in the Rhea Apartments and Angels Pool Bar is our first call in the morning and usually our last call at night. Over 12 weeks staying in Paleo., our friends from UK have been there several more weeks, this is where we meet our starting place for the days trips usually by quad bike which we hire from Sterios, Angela's husband. From what we hear from the many people we have met who stay there it is a good place to stay, it must be as many of them have been coming back for several years. If you want to stay there book early with Thomas Cook it is usually full for the whole season. If you want to call in for a drink or just to lay by the pool we can recommend it. We are probably a bit biased in favour because of the many good times we have had there and the welcome we and we get. Example of service would be arriving around midnight and being able to get food and drink, served with a smile!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple