“location, location,location”
Review of Maria Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paleokastritsa
Maria Studios
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed here from the 7th to the 14th of May and it was just as how I imagined the place would be as I had checked out the reviews on Trip Adviser before booking.

The location was stunning, I have been to Corfu several times and love the island anyway but you can not beat the stunning views that Paleokastritsa has to offer and as the studios are central a walk in either direction will lead you to beaches, tavernas and shops, and most of the people you meet in the shops or restaurants are happy to chat to you and give you more tips to explore and get the best out of your holiday.

Katerina met us as we arrived and Yannis took details from our passports. I dont know
if he made any unpleasant comments about us to the regulars at the bar as we got off the minibus as a previous reviewer stated but he was polite and respectful and friendly to our faces and as far as I could tell when he chatted to all his regulars it was harmless fun and just a bit of banter. Also the regular guests chatted to us every day and we as newbies were made to feel very welcome.

We ate a couple of evening meals at the studios including the best tasting lamb of the century at the b b q night on saturday, the first one of the season, and Yannis entertained us all with his dancing and we attempted it also. For 16 euros it was a good value brilliant entertaining night. The breakfasts were equally good value too.

We walked down the hill and ate at restaurants there but if you turn left and walk up the road I can highly recommend Spiros family taverna , the food was excellent especially the prawn saganaki and calamari stuffed with seafood. That was 16 euros but we received a complimentary starter and sweet plus a lift back down the hill from one of the sons . The whole family were attentive, friendly and offered the best of Greek hospitality.

A little way up after the left turn is Nausilas taverna and they do a greek night on Tuesdays and Saturdays and the most amazing chicken souvlaki I have ever tasted, and a sweet on the house was presented with a smile.

Anyway the room at the studios was perfect for us, pool view overlooking the bar and seaview . Personally I did not find the noise from the bar disturbing when going to bed even sat outside on the balcony and when the doors were shut nothing at all and I have a low tolerance of noise. I however did feel sorry for the people next door as my friend did snore very loudly, even with earplugs in I still heard her, and she said when she was awake I was snoring too.

The most relaxing thing about the holiday was being able to swim in the gorgeous pool, just gazing up at the mountains, lost in the tranquility of it all, and the little birds used to dive down skim the water when everyone was out just to cool themselves off,
I found it fascinating to watch and felt so at peace with the world.

I would definitely come here again, dont be put off by all the regular returning guests,
They were newbies once and we also met lovely people who were first time guests at these studios.

I am returning to Corfu in September to another part of the island but am planning a boat trip for the day to visit Paleokastritsa once again and will definitely pop in to the bar for a drink and remember happy times.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank kezmate
There are newer reviews for Maria Studios

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I find the previous poster quite rude, just because we have a different opinion to your gushing reviews does not mean we are wrong, just different....honest, some would say.

My experience of Maria Studios was as follows. Friendly greeting on arrival by Katerina. Room very clean and pleasant enough. Greeting from Yannis nil. As we came to sit at the bar he did not say hello or welcome, he completely ignored us as he was too busy buttering up his 'friends' who had also recently arrived from the uk. His attitude was very rude, when we asked about the bbq night, his reply was 'give me a chance we've only been opened two days.'
OK. Rude.
He then continued to gush over his pals at the bar. As other guests arrived on minibuses etc. unpleasant comments were made by Yannis and the bar flies about them. Really unprofessional. This was our introduction to the place and we were absolutely gutted as we really wanted to be made welcome and have friendly hosts. We worked out very quickly that there is a very cliquey side to this place, they have their regular guests and gush over them whilst ignoring the 'newbies'. We left the bar and never returned. We spent our EUROS elsewhere, we were never aknowledged by Yannis, he is only interested if you are going to sit around his bar drinking and eating and spending, and hanging on to the Yannis side show.

Every night loud music boomed out until the early hours, accompanied by shouting and drunken cackling. Not really conducive to having a relaxing quiet holiday. We could not have the doors open onto the balcony due to the bar noise directly below. There is double glazing on the doors. With very good reason!! To keep the noise out. This made the rooms very hot, air con was available for 6euros a day extra!! Yes thats right....per day!! Also previous reviews about the beds are accurate, they are very hard. Also walls between rooms very thin, we could hear loud snoring from next door and below.

After 3 sleepless nights we had had enough, this is not our idea of a relaxing holiday, so we cut our losses and left. Katerina did offer us another room and was very polite, but it was just as noisy. We asked for a refund but got nowhere. To be honest we were just relieved to leave.

Good points - very very clean, lovely pool, Katerina very polite and hard working, nice view from pool rooms, central location.

Bad points - rude sulky owner, extra for air con, extra for safe key 10EUROS per week! Loud late music, cackling bar flies and shouty clicky bar culture. Very hard beds.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank spanglything
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Katerina was very welcoming and friendly, helping with our heavy bags to a well equipped room overlooking the pool. Buoyed up, we headed to the bar for a cold beer after a long day. Oh dear. The owner and host Yiannis was too busy joking with his regulars to even acknowledge our arrival. Whilst we were waiting, a late arrival who required a stick to walk up the drive was classified as "fresh meat" by Yiannis. His regulars joined in the joke and added other unpleasant comments with much hilarity. We left our drinks. To cut a long story short: Katerina great hostess, willing to help resolve issues and hard working. Yiannis is in it for Yiannis. You'll have a great time if you're the type to be a part of his gang.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Miloslespiros
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Paleo is beautiful, & this is a fab holiday. Easyjet can get you there cheap, then book there rooms through hotels4U. Maria studio's has a bar & restaurant serving food from breakfast all the way to nightcaps in the wee small hours. Yiannis will keep you amused with his terrible humour, & Katerina (his wife) will hold her own... as well as doing 1 million other jobs.
I can guarentee you will be rebooking the minute you arrive home from this fab place

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank julia j
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Can I just say that Maria Studios Is probably the best place I've stayed at in 30 years of holidaying.... The whole family are amazing people and nothing is too much trouble . The apartments are clean and well situated for all amineties .... And over the past seven years of holidaying there we have met some fabulous people .... You know who you are !!!!
Contrary to the last comment posted at the beginning of the month ... Whilst we appreciate that most people have different needs and expectations while on holiday it seems totally unfair knowing the area and the people as we do that this person felt it necessary to post a very unrealistic reflection on Maria studios .... Perhaps you should revisit your thoughts ... And to be quite honest you are not worthy enough to stay there in the first place ... Stop being such a Richard Cranium !!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Helsbels5
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and i have been coming to paleo for the past 25yrs,We have brought our children ,friends relatives over the years . we have travelled all over the world and never had that total holiday experience like paleo ,Maria studios is a gem you are made welcome as soon as you arrive. .Yiannis is a total gentleman and is a total entertainer even last year with his family going through a very sad time and they fought through sadness and still made everyones holiday.
The swimming pool is large and cleaned to a very high standard.The food is the best you will not find better in the resort.
Holiday makers come year after year so that must tell you how good it is.
Katerina never stops working keeping the place in ship shape condition.Nothing is to much for her she will help you with anything.
If you want a holiday home from home with total relaxation and above all laughter this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank julie13cat
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Paleokastritsa is a beautiful spot on an equaly beautiful island. Maria Studios was booked through Hotels4u and was rediculously cheap (about £30 a week each) As this was my first visit to Greece I cannot comment on expectations of room size, catering equipment, bed comfort etc, but I think on a low budget this is as good as it gets (very basic) with a pool, and well located for the local beaches and bars ( a ten minute walk down to beaches and harbour). Nearest supermarket next door but one, which is one of many small reasonably priced supermarkets around the area. We had a car for the time we were there so used the larger supermarkets near to Corfu Town. I read lots of reviews before booking this accommodation and above all was satisfied with the position of the hotel, but would not choose to use it again. On arrival we were put in a downstairs back room with a terrace that was part of the car park, on seeing this I asked if we could be moved, Katerina said that there was no where to move us to, but it was all right because the car parked adjacent to my bed never moved any way! I was not to know until the early hours that the car park would be the least of my worries as I was awoken by a loud vibrating noise that kept cutting in and out and was nerve shattering. The next day after very little sleep I went to seek help and found Yiannis at the bar, when I tried to explain about the awful noise he turned his back on me and mumbled something about people required hot water and went to serve somebody at the other side of the bar. It appears our room was right next to the heating system with a huge Hovercraft like fan that operated 2 0r 3 times a day for the hot water supply. I rang the agent through hotels4u, who was very sympathetic as he could hardly hear me for the noise of the fan, but said that as it was a sunday he would log my complaint and someone would get back to me (they never did by the way). During that day we went off to look for different accommodation, as there was no way I could have survived in that room. When we got back Katerina approached us and said another room would be available from the monday if we wanted to move and would we like to look at it, which we did. It was upstairs at the far end from the FAN and although the balcony looked over a half derelict building there was also an olive grove and PEACE and QUIET. We gladly accepted the room and spent 10 comfortable (athough beds VERY HARD) nights here. Needless to say during the rest of our stay Yiannis completely ingnored us, even as we walked past him with our luggage leaving the hotel. Katerina was politeness itself. Also do not stay here if you are not happy with children running about and playing in the corridors outside your rooms, not very conducive to a siesta or early night. I rated this accommodation a 3 because it is so inexpensive you have the use of a private pool and the rooms were cleaned most days, by very polite staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool to avoid Heater noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple