“Dangerous dirty and disappointing”
Review of Red Tower

Red Tower
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Nikiana
Chertsey, England, United Kingdom
“Dangerous dirty and disappointing”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went with Thomson to this "hand picked" hotel.......Filthy pool, bar area and childrens pool area covered in shattered glass, fag butts and old bits of rubber, airconditioning leaking all over our balcony, trecherous to say the least. My son and I lost toenails due to the bits of metal sticking up around the pool and the uneven paving slabs. Path down to the private storm drain..sorry private beach was littered with broken glass broken tiles, disguarded deck chairs loungers, old rusty ladders, hosepipes and concrete and at night it is a water outlet so you have the pleasure of biting and clawing your way up a muddy ravine dodging the sharp items in the dark. Quick word about he beach, to get there you have to run accross a busy road on a blind bend and vault over a crash barrier before reaching the rickety steps down to a large concrete wall with two massive storm drains facing the sea. You can sunbathe and swim there as long as there are no more than seven people on the beach at any one time. The sunbeds were lethal and only partially replaced when I piled all the broken ones in a big heap and told the rep to get more, a few more arrived but not nearly enough for the amount of guests, rep told me it is difficult to get sunbeds in Greece!!!. Childrens play area is bordered with barbed wire and the swings are rotten with screws protruding from them and the only other entertainment was an unplugged electric darts board with twelve flightless darts. Other guests (Czech families) used the pool bar area and grassy areas surrounding as a public toilet...yes both kinds and there were adult activities taking place in the pool that children simply should not be subjected to. I could go on and on about this place but I think you get the gist, avoid this place at all costs we moved out after one week as we could take no more and moved to porto Gallini about 200m away and that was fantastic. I have attached some lovely snaps of our holiday at red tower. Nico the barman was nice though.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Bethj100

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Athens, Attiki, Greece
Reviewed August 30, 2012

On booking this hotel I thought I was very lucky to have found such a reasonable priced hotel with breakfast and dinner included. The room we had was very clean with a great view but the food was of a very poor standard. There is nothing Greek about this food !! ( I know this because I live in Greece and my husband is Greek )The food is all reheats . If you enjoy queuing up for food with people who behave as if they have never been fed before then this is the place to go. One Czech holidaymaker who must have been quite hungry actually took the serving spoon out of my daughter's hand as she was serving herself some french fries despite the fact that my daughter only had 2 fries on her plate and obviously wasn't finished serving herself ! After finally fighting off the hungry guests you then have to go out to your table to fight off the even hungrier wasps that seem to be just everywhere. It reminded me of a Walt Disney cartoon with poor Donald Duck being attacked by a swarm of bees, only thing was it was myself and my family trying to eat our food and so wasn't funny at all.

All in all I would recommend this hotel for someone who just needed a bed to sleep in and a swimming pool to swim in. But don't bother staying at the hotel to eat .

The bartender is a friendly guy though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MichelleM97
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Arrived back a couple of weeks ago this should have been a memorable pearl wedding anniversary well it was but for all the wrong reasons.
It is not as reported in the brochures, the room photographs must have been taken years ago along with the pool view showing the cocktail area of decking, it is now just part of the pool lounger area and yes the orange loungers are treacherous as is the pool path at least two toe nails disappeared thanks to the raised and broken paving stones.
The wasps are a pain in the **** we have travelled extensively in Greece and the islands this is the worst place for wasps , The food is covered with them at meal times even before you get to select your plate, then you are mithered non stop throughout the meal.
The hotel descriptions are poetic licence such as the private beach being 100 metres away, well it is but they forgot to mention the sheer drop of 100 meters the road to get to and from it is a training prop from the S A S.
the island is great but give this place a swerve and at the prices Thomson are charging forget it.
We eventually ended up with room 31 what a dump, the sea view was broken up with people sitting on the balcony wall whilst waiting to eat, the room is gloomy and drab, with twin beds (on a wedding anniversary thanks a lot )
The first room we were given was subterranean even gloomier with a mountain view, not what we paid for and certainly not what we expected, we were not alone in complaining and trying to change rooms it seemed like everyone from our coach was back at reception within 5 minutes asking to be moved.

The staff are a pleasant bunch who work well in adverse conditions, the hotel has been well run down and needs a lot of money to get it back to former glories. Oh and beware of the visiting Czech families who hog the facilities and abuse the bar. They come and go like a club 18-30 party, I was told they were on day trips !!!!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel entirely- The island is beautiful go somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank meacey
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

One double room with below to standard central air condition !!!
Towels almost black!!!
We stay only for one night for the above mentioned reasons
Excellent location
Good service
It is better to look for something different

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank NGM1313
Onecote, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our holiday was booked through Thomsons and was all inclusive. If you are considering this hotel if it's more than £700 per person I would look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong it is a nice hotel I just feel we paid too much.
Good points.
The general feel of the hotel is nice, it atemps to replicate Greek villas and housing and you find your self winding through the buildings to get from room to pool. The pool is also lovely and very clean as is the hot tub and childs pool. The pool area was also nice with sunbeds and chairs as well as a small but very well stocked bar. Above the pool is the dining area which serves nice food with a good variety, no one will go hungry, The staff were also smiley and helpful. The room was also very spacious and had a fantastic view.
Bad points.
The room was my main problem (No.51), the room itself was nice however the shower was terrible, a constanly jumping from hot to cold dribble. Also the rooms sleep 3 but really they sleep 2 and a half, as the person who has to sleep in the sofa bed needs to be small (which I am not). The beds were also not paticularly comfortable and neither were they quiet because if anyone moved their little finger they creaked loudly. The room service was not fantastic either, it wasn't much a clean more a brush over. For the price I expected a more premium feel but the room lacked it; I have stayed in much better hotels for cheaper.
Overall, the hotel is perfect if you want a relaxing break by the pool with good food and a nice atmosphere with 2 people to a room, however if you like a plush night sleep this may not be for you. What I will say is if you are travelling with Thomsons, the rep you get here is fantastic and will go out of her way to make your stay perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank James E
crttom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

8 - 15th July 2012

We arrived at the hotel at around 21:30 and we were quickly dealt with at reception and handed our room key. We got pointed in the direction of our room, which took a couple of minutes to find (in our defence others were also stuggling to find their rooms).

We put our cases in the room and went for a look around the hotel. We were a little underwhelmed at first, but I suppose that was inevitable after reading all the impressive reviews.

The first night's sleep did little to help as we didn't purchase the air con - this was a massive school boy error! It was roasting in the room so we barely slept, coupled with the fact I was experiencing night terrors. At one point I woke up and thought a big black bug was flying around the room. These were unsettling times for my girlfriend...

The next day the whole place seemed much better. The rooms were spacious and very clean (kudos to the cleaners they do a great job). The views are stunning from all around the hotel (not just from one angle like at many hotels). We also purchased the air con which was a lifesaver. It was a fairly reasonable price considering you get air con in both rooms.

The food was very nice on the whole. There was enough variety for us so we certainly didn't go hungry.

The staff were very efficient. We were particularly impressed. by the Vin Diesel look-a-like working behind the bar. He was very friendly and liked a laugh. He also very kindly picked us up from Nidri when the manager forgot to collect us at 1pm as agreed!! We were stranded for over an hour in the scorching heat before someone rang the hotel and luckily the bar man answered our pleas.

The wasps were very annoying at eating times (I did manage to splatter two of the little swines but it did little to thin their numbers). They especially liked greek yoghurt..but so did I...hence the prediciment we found ourselves in.

Some of those sun loungers are a practical joke. It's all well & good buying cheap chairs but they don't last 5 minutes. The elastic straps which hold your rear and back fall off or snap leaving you in a rather uncomfortable position. Just buy some decent ones for the love of pete!

We didn't hire a car so spent the majority of our time at the hotel, worshipping the sun & swimming. However, we did go on the island tour. We booked through Thomsons. It was definately worth the money seeing as we didn't hire a car. The island is beautiful and we visited some lovely places. The views from the monastery were amazing and so was the beach at Kathisma. A tasty packed lunch was thrown in too!

In summary, we had a lovely relaxing break at a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank crttom
Kent
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have recently returned from a two week stay at this hotel. We had booked two sea view rooms and were given rooms 31 and 37. My husband and I had room 37 which was very nice but the other members of our family were given room 31 and were really disappointed. Yes, this has a sea view but it was dark, dated, noisy (due to it being very close to buffet room and not far from the bar) and also had an unpleasant smell. We asked for another room and to be fair this was not a problem and were moved within two days to room 38 which was similar to the room we had. I do think it is pot luck with the rooms so if you are not happy, ask if you can change.
The hotel is on a main road which is not near any shops, beaches or tavernas. I know that the hotel is all inclusive but think it would be nice if there were a small shop on site just for essentials.
We hired a car for the whole duration of our holiday and I'm glad we did as it's such a beautiful Island and to be honest I think I would go stir crazy if I was just around the pool each day but then that's just us. The food was good but the all inclusive was a bit wasted on us as we were off exploring most of the time. Breakfast was varied and there was always something for everyone. We made sure we got down to breakfast early as it gets very hot and there is not a lot of shade once the sun is fully up. We always found something nice to eat in the evening.
This hotel has a lovely big pool and the views are amazing. This was part of the reason why we chose to stay here and we were not disappointed. Having said that though, I would not go back to this hotel or recommend it.
Lefkada is beautiful and there is so much to see. I would suggest hiring a car if you can and drive around the whole Island. We also hired a motorboat from Trident in Nidri and had a brilliant day! We went to Meganissi on the ferry which was less that 2 Euros each way and then went back again when we hired the boat as we liked it so much.
We had a lovely holiday and met some lovely people but I wouldn't go back to this hotel as I felt it was quite isolated and also because it isn't worth us going all inclusive as we found that we spend a lot of time away from the hotel especially now that our children are older. However, if you just want a relaxing holiday in the sun with a nice pool and amazing views then this may be the place for you. All I will say is avoid the orange sun loungers. They are awful!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Misty B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nikiana
Villa Olga Hotel Apartments & Studios
#4 of 12 in Nikiana
Vergina Star
Vergina Star
#7 of 12 in Nikiana

Been to Red Tower? Share your experiences!