“Great place, but sailing wasn't for me.”
Review of Nikiana Beach

Nikiana Beach
Ranked #2 of 10 Nikiana B&B and Inns
Stockport.England
“Great place, but sailing wasn't for me.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Warning the rating is based on the fact that I didn’t really take to sailing. And for background, I decided to leave the wife and kids at home and try this beach club holiday – the family were not interested so I took the opportunity of going, for the first time in 20 years, outside school holidays.
The resort itself is located on a small outcrop in the small village of Nikiana, which is either suffering from recession or hadn’t quite woken up from its winter slumber, as it was mid May I’m guessing it was the later.

Personally I though the location was excellent. The village was quiet but it had several cafes, bakeries (although not all were open), and three small supermarkets, which were only a minute walk away. The resort sat towards the end of a small outcrop and enjoyed great views of the sea and the surrounding mountains. Nikiana is situated between two larger towns, Nidri and Lafkas (Lafkas by far and away the larger of the two). Both were a bit touristy with lots and lots of cafes/bars. Out of the two I preferred Nidra, although I wouldn’t want to spend my entire holiday in either of them. The bus ride to either was E1.60 each way, and about E12.00 for a taxi.

Anyway back to the resort. The hotel was small (I think about 20-30 rooms) and situated directly on the shore (it couldn’t have been better). My room had a balcony and excellent sea views, and the mosquitos loved it, I had their company every night no matter how unwelcome I tried to be. If I go again I’ll pack a mosquito net. I am not sure if I was unlucky as other people were not affected to the same degree that I was, or it maybe that rain, just before I arrived had encouraged them. Having the supermarkets so close was great as I could stock up on beers and just chill on my balcony, enjoying the view/reading a book and sipping a cold beer (work felt like a million miles away).

However one thing I can’t stand, and this is true I believe of everywhere in Greece, is there curious habit of having to put stinking toilet paper into a bin, rather than flush it down the toilet (where it belongs). Come on Greece get your plumbing sorted and join us in the 21st century.
One other concern I had was the lack of a safe in your room. This could well be down to the fact that I live in Manchester, where I have got used to the fact that you have to alarm, lock and secure everything that is remotely valuable otherwise someone else will assume it belongs to them.

The food in the hotel was fine and very reasonably priced. However I wasn’t keen on their breakfast (cereal, bread jam, boiled eggs etc), as when I am on holiday I love to be a Brit abroad, and indulge in a real big eye popping, stomach bulging fully cooked breakfast. I know that this isn’t the Greek way and cooked breakfasts are just not their thing. Although on a visit to Nidra I did indulge in an eye popping, stomach bulging breakfast and it was bloody lovely.

The couple who run the hotel are lovely, really nice people and always helpful.

Now onto the reason I chose this resort, which was for the sailing. I had never heard of Seafarer before, and only found them by luck, as I found Neilson and Sunsail were really expensive for a single person flying from Manchester. Although I didn’t really take to the sailing, despite the best endeavours and encouragement from my tutor (Chris), I though the location, facilities and staff were all first rate.

First the location of the beach club, it was right in front of the hotel, which meant it was brilliant, if I forgot anything, it was just a few yards back to my room to get it. Or if I wanted to sit at the bar and see how the experts sail, I could.

Next the facilities, I am no expert but it appears that all that was needed was there.

And finally the staff (Bevan, Chris and Sam aka Mandy). All were very helpful and showed maturity beyond the fairly young ages (they were all 21 or below, which made me feel really old). As a total novice I felt very confident not only in their ability but in there awareness as to what was going on, and they worked bloody hard, but nothing seemed too much trouble.
As I said at the beginning I didn’t take to the sailing but I enjoyed the location and the atmosphere, and I gave the sailing a good try, and I am glad I went.

It may seem unfair that I am not giving it five stars because it wasn’t the resorts fault that I didn’t take to sailing, but I didn’t, and I am also taking into account the lack of safe (again you may think that is unfair), the mosquitos, having to put toilet paper in a bin (yes I know that is true of all Greece, and I would mark every Greek resort down for this reason), and the lack of an eye popping stomach bulging cooked breakfast (again I know this is true of all Greece, and again I would mark them all down for this).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank thirts

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Nottingham
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Should have written this a long time ago. We are just planning our fifth summer holiday with Seafarer. The most active, but relaxing holiday we have have ever had. Get up, sail, lie in the sun, sail again, read, swim, sail again, have dinner, read, sleep. Partner is progressing with Windsurfing from a standing/falling start four years ago and confidence in sailing solo growing all the time. Staff and tuition excellent, over four years we have had windsurfing, sailing, dinghy and catamaran and yacht training-we did PB2 last summer for a change.
Set up is very relaxed but well-organised, friendly and professional. If you enjoy sailing and being the best/first/most expert isn't important to you, the this is the holiday for you. That said over the four years we have been going to Greece with Seafarer, we have seen some first class young sailors who have competed internationally for GB and they've had a good time too. We are both over 55, but it is also very family friendly. We're going again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RobinHood024
Athens, Greece
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The apartments are located in Nikiana bay, literally one step from a small (for Lefkada standards) and beautiful beach.
Nikiana is a quiet place (very important if you have family) but very close to Nidri and Lefkada City (just 6-7 km) in case you want night life and the famous western beaches of the island (Porto Katsiki, Egremnoi etc) just a half hour drive.
The facilities are great with a swimming pool. showers and tavern close to each other. The rooms are very clean with and have a large balcony with view to the bay.
There are also instructors for all kind of watersports (wind surfing, sailing etc) so if you want to have some lessons in these you'll love it there (the hotel has all the gear and equipment you'll ever need)
The stuff is very kind and helpful.
As a bottom line, we had 5 great days there and next time we'll visit Lefkada, Nikiana Beach will be our choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent a week here for the second part of our honeymoon. We found a bottle of fizzy wine in the fridge. The hotel is a stone's throw from the beach: the accommodation is quite basic but more than adequate if you're out on the water most of the day- there is air conditioning, fridge, hot running water and it's very clean.
We signed up for a windsurfing course and a dinghy sailing course. We could not fault the staff: they struck the balance perfectly between fun and professional. It's a small place (about 25 rooms) so the staff get to know you quickly, and it's a very relaxed safe atmosphere; after a few days you'll recognise most other guests and know half of them by name. We received excellent tuition on and off the water, and we always felt safe. It's a wonderful thing to wander along the beach, choose a boat, and sail off in it a minute later.
The taverna serves traditional Greek food at reasonable prices, and there is a supermarket a couple of minutes' walk away so we had lunch on our balcony some days. The breakfast is fine, and you can set up a tab for food and drinks to be paid- cash only- at the end of the stay.
Inevitably the centre attracts a lot of families during the school holidays. Nikiana itself is not the most picturesque village but there is a bus stop for buses into Lefkada town, a few shops, and a couple of good restaurants within 5 minutes' walk.
We highly recommend this hotel if you want an active yet relaxing holiday based around watersports. It's also very good value, especially when compared to similar set ups like Neilson and Sun Sail, and just as good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Broadstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Best holiday ever. The Seafarer Beach set up at the Nikiana is a little gem. Pleasant family accommodation with a double and single room and separate bunk room, fridge, kettle and air conditioning was spot on. Dated bathrooms provided hot water all day long which although not the prettiest, did the job. Thassos and his family could not be more welcoming, even preparing and cooking the little fishes caught with great excitement by the children on the rocks earlier in the day. Plenty of boats to play with on the beach and the Seafarer staff were fun, worked hard and were extremely helpful in ensuring we all maximised our sailing experiences. The banquet prepared on Saturday night was fantastic and Eleni makes the best mousakka I have ever tasted. Although it's nice to get out into the town, Eleni and Tassos serve delicious Greek food at good prices. We hired a motor boat for the day to explore the islands off Nydri which was idyllic. Hire a car for a day or so and get into the mountains to find working wells, unspoilt villages and some amazing views. If your idea of heaven is a perfectly groomed big resort offering 24 hour entertainment this is not for you. If you prefer a little home made charm, Nikiana is the best there is.

Room Tip: Our family room was at the back of the hotel so we missed out on the amazing views offered by the ot...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

What a wonderful family!! Thassos and his extended family, couldn't do enough for us, I felt they practically adopted us!!!
The rooms were large, a double and a single bed, with a large fridge, air con, and a super large balcony with views to die for.They are simply furnished, but scruplessly clean.
The ensuite shower room is tiny, be prepared to have your feet in the shower tray while sitting on the loo; we christened ours "the swamp."
Recommend rooms 9,10,11 on the second floor, as they have large balconies and spectacular views.
The location is fantastic, right on the pebble beach & the sea is azure blue and crystal clear.
There is a small fresh water pool, which is very refreshing.
The food is well cooked and presented and very reasonable.
The local bus, cheap and reliable, stops on the main road, and in Nidri there are numerous supermarkets, tourists shops and tavernas.There is also an excellent and reasonably priced Chinese.
Numerous boat trips are available, I recommend, the Pirate Boat and the Nidri Star. There is also a very cheap ferry to Megannesi.
The wind was very variable, but we managed to sail for several hours most days. Wished the sailing area was a little larger, and that they had a few more lasers.
All in all a fantastic holiday and I thoroughly recommend Lefkas as a holiday destination!

Room Tip: Rooms 9,10,11 for the balcony and views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lindajane61
Home
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Spent a week at Nikiana Beach 05/2012, as part of a beach and sailing holiday. Good basic accommodation with AC. Great simple food in the associated taverna. Excellent very friendly and helpful staff in this family run mini complex with pool, taverna and rooms right on the beach. Who needs a pool?

Thanks, Tassos and family.
We'll be back with more Marmite to swap for chipero!

Room Tip: I would imagine all rooms are quiet as it's set back from the road which would be the most likel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MitcheCA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nikiana
Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa
#2 of 12 in Nikiana
Vergina Star
Vergina Star
#8 of 12 in Nikiana

Been to Nikiana Beach? Share your experiences!