“Simply Awful - Worst Dining Experience”
Review of The Galley

The Galley
Ranked #35 of 56 Restaurants in Luz
Good for: Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: http://www.luz-info.com/bars.htm#Galley
UK
“Simply Awful - Worst Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have experienced multiple instances of bad customer service in my time, but nothing can compare to the atrocious way myself and my girlfriend were treated at The Galley.

It was our second evening on our holiday to Luz, and after scouting the handful of beachside restaurants, we decided upon The Galley, as it looked to have an array of different food on offer, as well as a sea view.

It looked promising, but from the moment we stepped inside, things went downhill very rapidly. As we waited to be seated, a member of staff pointed out a free table in the middle of the room. He did not take us to the table, and he did not give us any menus or ask if we would like a drink.

After 5 minutes, someone eventually took our drinks order, however it took about ten minutes at least before we received them. We had also sat with the menus for just under 20 minutes waiting for someone to take our order.

Losing my patience by this point, I managed to grab the attention of a waiter who indicated someone would be over in one minute- to which I indicated that if this was not the case, then we would be leaving.

Needless to say, an English waitress came straight over and took our order.

During the time waiting for our food, I noticed that the waiting staff would always return to the bar at the back of the restaurant after dealing with one table- never paying any attention to anyone else as they passed through.

As someone who has worked in the industry, I can safely say that this is no way to efficiently manage a restaurant. Staff must always be looking to be as helpful to customers as possible, and this was simply not the case. It actually came across as if they were trying to be as least helpful as possible, especially as one waitress directed another to serve a customer, whilst she continued to wipe a table and then return to the bar.

Another observation I made was that the staff seemed to pay more attention to bigger tables. As a young couple we felt that we were being taken less seriously, and that somehow we would not complain about the service.

There is not much to be said about the food, we both opted for Piri Piri Chicken as it is a Portuguese speciality. There was nothing special about it whatsoever, simply average.

Upon paying, we both agreed that we would not leave a tip- something that I am normally funny about as I usually like to show my appreciation for being taken care of. However on this occasion, I did not feel like parting with my cash at all.

My suggestion to tourists would be to avoid The Galley, and go somewhere with better customer service, such as a McDonalds.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank JoeMDS89

• Polish first
Lagos, Portugal
“Beautiful view spoiled by unpleasant stuff”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Although I am not one to complain I feel it would be a disservice to fellow diners who might want to spend there hard earned money at this restaurant. I had invited some ex hoteliers whom have been in the hospitality business the past thirty years one of my guest was an executive chef. My wife and I made a reservation with the restaurant for a Sunday lunch. We asked to be seated indoors near the window facing the sea however we were advised that this was not possible as it this table was already reserved. We were offered the next table which we accepted. Our party of seven turned up at the designated tie for a Sunday lunch. When we entered the restaurant no one seemed to know we had made a reservation and eventually we were ushered to another table in the center of the restaurant. We ordered drinks and requested some ice. The drinks arrived eventually but after asking the waiter and the young waitress several times I had to stand at the counter and demand for the ice. Our orders were taken and the food arrived after about 45 minuets. We again had to ask for a second round of drinks but the waiter seemed more interested in serving other tables. The food was bland and nothing to rave about and on top of this there was an elderly couple who were singing for entertainment. The music was so loud we could not hear ourselves talking. We politely asked the waiter to please ask the entertains to turn down the volume of the speakers however this fell on death ears. Fortunately by the time we had finished our main course they stopped for a interval. The male musician came over to our table and asked us in a rude manner if we were now happy they had. Stopped signing! I was so embarrassed for my guests that we all decided to pay the bill and leave the. Restaurant. I have had my home base in Praia da Luz for ten years and have never had this type of service or treatment. I strongly advice all my guests in who rent my properties to avoid this restaurant. It is such a shame as the view is the only thing worth visiting the establishment for.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank GregLagos_Portugal
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Best Meal We Had All Holiday”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We found The Galley to eat at on our third night in Luz and we absolutely loved it! The service was brilliant from our arrival to the end and we had the most amazing view of the beach and the promenade of Luz.
The atmosphere was laid back and relaxing and the staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating to all of our needs. The food was really tasty but it was still one the cheapest places we ate at throughout our week's stay.
Highly recommended place to eat and a must-go when visiting Luz. Brilliant!!!

• Visited September 2013
liverpool
“View better than food”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nice view, comfortable restaurant but food is average. Worth going once if you're in the resort for say a fortnight, just for a change, but don't make a special effort

Visited August 2013
Blaenavon, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views ok food”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This restaraunt was nice but not as good as someone recommended. The food was well presented and hot I had the Peri-Peri Chicken and there was not much of it.

Visited September 2013