“Lovely restaurant ”

Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Revisited the Dolphin - still as good. The South African dishes are lovely. Service is good and very friendly.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Food was absolutely excellent , BUT are we the only ones finding this place pretentious , the owner is obsequious to the point of nausea and I sensed the staff were tense and slightly anxious ..off putting for our group .

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Have lost count of the number of times we’ve visited this restaurant and yet again it did not fail to disappoint. I had the strips of fillet steak to start followed by the venison and both were delightful. Staff are very attentive yet not overbearing and we were welcomed like old friends.

We will undoubtedly return on our next visit to Luz for more of the excellent food and friendly staff.

NB. For some reason this restaurant seems to be marketing itself as ‘Bosmans’ but the menu, staff shirts and even the sign outside still references ‘The Dolphin’ ..... it will always be The Dolphin to us.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 8, 2019

This was absolutely, without question, the best meal we had in the Algarve. The ambience is gorgeous, the host and is gregarious and welcoming and spirited, And the famous South African hospitality was at the foreground the minute we walked in. We were one vegetarian and one meat eater, and we both ate extremely well.

As former South Africans, it was great to see our culture and our food making a place across the world in Portugal, and it was also interesting to see the presence of Portuguese influence, part of South African culinary heritage, working so well here. Do not miss this spot! Well worth the drive from Lagos or wherever else you might be staying.

For vegetarians: the goat cheese mango salad and the lentil babotie are AMAZING. I am also convinced that Melktert is the South African version of the Portuguese Pasteis de Nata.

Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

What a diseapointment. It was recommended to me, and this was the worst food experience so far in Algarve.
I took two starters since the rest of the card was not inspiring : prawns and mago salad with curry sauce and mussels.
The 3 prawns where just boiled prawns that you can buy in Intermarché, the curry sauce from a supermarket pot, the mango was good, and the salad, not even seasonned !
The mussels : 6 mussels not even fresh ones !!!
Hopefully I did not order other plates !
The price : the day before I got in the middle of Lagos half a kilo of fresh delicious clams for the same price.
I generally do not put any comment, but this time I had to do, to avoid others to step into that place. Just Jump out of this like the Dolphin does out of the water !