“I might Springback here...”

The Dolphin Restaurante
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Luz
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great to get away from the all too many "English type" restaurants knocking out all day breakfasts and fish and chips, having spent a considerable amount of time in South Africa I was keen to try the Dolphin after reading the menu, it was closed on Sunday but Monday night we were welcomed with open arms and great friendly service, we had a drink in the bar whilst a table was prepared and found it to be well stocked with the addition of lots of Springbok memorabilia adorning the walls.

To start I had Steak in a Pir Piri sauce which was nice and spicy and very well cooked, the meat was delicious, I shared this with a friend who let me try his king prawns in a curry sauce with mango that too was delicious, to follow I had Bobotie this was delicious and a good sized portion.

The whole experience was wonderful and was one of the nicest meals we had, the service was great and the owner was very friendly, I didn’t find it too expensive it was 240 euros for 6 with plenty of wine

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My girlfriend and me visited the dolphin and found it very nice. It was a little more expensive than some other places in Luz but it was good. I couldn't fault my meal but my girlfriend had cous cous with her meal on the side it was all stuck together but that was the only bad thing. Good apart from that. If I was in Luz again i'd visit again.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I find the food in Portugal a bit 'samey' and it is good to get a change once in a while. This South African owned and themed restaurant offers this change. Pricey but good food always reliable and served efficiently. We have been on a number of occasions over the years and have no complaints about the staff or quality of the food. Try to make a visit at least once during our annual October break. Would recommend but must be booked as it is popular.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We came here a few years ago and had a wonderful meal so we were keen to return, particularly as we had visited South africa in the meantime. A wide variety of South African dishes to choose from, and maybe I just made a bad choice, but the venison, which I would normally expect to be vert tender, was chewy. The other 3 diners enjoyed their selections but I don't think they felt it to be amazing. Maybe we had been spoiled by visiting Ancora in Burgau the previous evening.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

this restaurant was recommended to us so we were very eager to try it. we were greeted by a very friendly south african man who escorted us to the bar to wait for a table. we had a lovely bottle of south african wine, when we were seated we shared a starter of cubed marinated beef, very flavoursome indeed. for mains we have the lightly battered and slightly fried moonfish, id never had or heard of it before so it was a nice experience for me, i am glad that i chose it and my partner had the ostrich snitzel which was again extremely tasty and a new experience also. the bill came to around 50 euros which was very reasonable for the lovely food that we had. we would definately go there again to experience more south african food delight!